Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-23-2011, 06:47 PM   #41
Platinum Member

Default Re: Parts of an electrical system - what would I need?

12 volt outlets are inexpensive.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/auxiliary-p...erid=c555u0j1#

Red wire to positive battery terminal and black to negative. Get one with longer wires and a fuse.
Simpler to get an inverter with a 12 volt power port like the Motor Trend 1200 Watt Inverter model# 13-312

I just can't find an inverter with a USB port + 12 volt Power Port + AC outlet + Digital volt display
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12vOutlet.jpg (3.9 KB, 593 views)
File Type: jpg 12vOutlet1.jpg (26.6 KB, 593 views)
File Type: jpg -003.jpg (49.6 KB, 593 views)
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 02:36 AM   #42
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegA
Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo
Wilton's article is a good read: http://windsurf.mediaforte.com/roadt..._inverter.html

I wouldn't connect the inverter to the engine battery like he did. His inverter was used specifically for the microwave and he always ran the motor when using it. You'll be running other items off your inverter. I would suggest running the van engine when you use high amp draw appliances like the microwave though. I'd probably run the engine for 10 minutes if I used the microwave for 5 minutes.
Note:

My suggestion to run the motor when using the microwave oven has to be taken with caution. I make several assumptions. 1. I assume that the isolator is rated high enough to handle the load. The isolator will burn out if the amperage passing through it is too high. 2. I assume that the isolator is rated higher than your alternator output. 3. I assume that the wiring is adequate to handle the amperage as well.

All of that info is needed first.
Old 12-30-2011, 04:05 AM   #43
Gold Member

And the thing I wonder about is, with this van being so old, will all that stuff still work the way it was supposed to anyway? What if I just try to use the laptop for a little while and the isolator doesn't work and I can't start the van after that, or something gets fried? What if the laptop gets fried? It's the only computer I have.

I'm beginning to think I should give up on the microwave idea. I'm not sure I can find an inverter that can handle the wattage anyway, especially since I discovered microwaves can use more power than they give out (like my current micro which is only 600 watts but seems to take in more than twice that). I did buy a camp stove; it runs on propane. I have no idea how to use it but I guess I'll have to learn.

Meg
MegA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 02:48 PM   #44
Gold Member

Just something I've been thinking about - if I could find a DC (12 volt) microwave would that be easier to deal with than one that had to go through an inverter? Or maybe I should say, what issues would there be with that kind of setup? In fact, what issues would there be in general with using 12 volt appliances? I know there are a lot available, especially on the trucking and boating sites, and they do show up occasionally on Craigslist.

Meg
MegA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 05:07 PM   #45
Platinum Member

One 12v microwave oven I looked at online still had a large current draw. 55 Ah.
http://www.power-hunt.com/12-volt-microwave.php

That is less much than the 90+ Ah draw a 700 watt microwave would have through an inverter though.

Re: Isolators
Great info here:
http://www.donrowe.com/battery_isolator/isolator.html

It doesn't look like it would cost too much to replace your isolator and keep it as a spare.
I think you still need and inverter for charging your laptop and phone etc. I think you mentioned a printer also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegA
.......What if I just try to use the laptop for a little while and the isolator doesn't work and I can't start the van after that, or something gets fried?
What if the laptop gets fried? It's the only computer I have.
If you are just using your laptop then you would only use the inverter connected to the battery in the back of the van and the van motor would not need to be running. You'd recharge the house battery when you started the motor later.

My understanding is that when isolators completely fail the batteries are not connected. However, that said, Mike had problems with the isolator in his van allowing the chassis battery to discharge. He ended up replacing it.