Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2019, 10:42 PM   #1

Default Power outlets in Etrek shut off

I have a 2018 Roadtrek Etrek with a warp core package and 2 inverters. For some reason, when plugging in anything other than a cell phone charger to the rig electrical outlets, the power to the outlets immediately stops if using battery power. If plugged in to shore power all works fine. The microwave, stove and some other appliances which are powered by the 2nd inverter seem to
all work properly on both battery and shore power. The problem I thought was one of the inverters, but I replaced it and still have the same problem. Anyone have any ideas why this might be happening?
kpbanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 09:56 PM   #2

No one?

So let me simplify may be the first post was confusing.

The GFI outlets blow as soon as anything is plugged in.

We did order a new Inverter from the MFG and set that up with them via email and same result as soon as a cell phone or anything else is plugged in the GFI pops. This leads me to believe the Inverter is not bad.

Is there any safety switch to reset or may be an inline fuse?

Also could it be after we ran an electric blanket damaged something like the plug itself?

All batteries are lit and appear to be working and holding proper voltage.

This is a Warp Core package with 16 Lithium batteries on 2 Sinewave Inverters.

Would one dead cell do this?

I'm thinking may be it's one in the 16 possibly not working is this a possibility?

Also everything in the rig does work on shore power, even the outlets.

Also everything in the rig does work when on batteries alone except the outlets that are popping.
Old 05-20-2019, 10:30 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpbanker View Post
No one?

So let me simplify may be the first post was confusing.

The GFI outlets blow as soon as anything is plugged in.

We did order a new Inverter from the MFG and set that up with them via email and same result as soon as a cell phone or anything else is plugged in the GFI pops. This leads me to believe the Inverter is not bad.

Is there any safety switch to reset or may be an inline fuse?

Also could it be after we ran an electric blanket damaged something like the plug itself?

All batteries are lit and appear to be working and holding proper voltage.

This is a Warp Core package with 16 Lithium batteries on 2 Sinewave Inverters.

Would one dead cell do this?

I'm thinking may be it's one in the 16 possibly not working is this a possibility?

Also everything in the rig does work on shore power, even the outlets.

Also everything in the rig does work when on batteries alone except the outlets that are popping.
This really is perplexing. If the AC and microwave operate during inverter operation, the inverter is obviously delivering power so the usual suspect would be the GFIs. But on shore power, appliance loads on the GFI receptacles doesn't trip them which indicates the GFIs are not defective.

Inverter/chargers are typically set up to bond the neutral and ground paths when the inverter is delivering 120V but releases the neutral & ground bond when shorepower is providing 120 volts to the coach loads. Are your inverters set up that way?

Can you power down an inverter (one at a time) to see if the problem goes away?
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 10:37 PM   #4
Platinum Member

I saw the first post and wondered if GFI circuits were tripping & meant to ask you but forgot.

Apparently some brands of GFI outlets are more sensitive than others. Here's a doc from Xantrex that gets into it: http://maze.airstreamlife.com/wp-con...h_Note_018.pdf

Xantrex has tested and use Pass & Seymour/Legrand GFI outlets. You could do some research to find out which GFI outlets work best with inverters and then replace the existing GFI outlets with one that have the best chance of working with an inverter.

At least some of the inverters seen in newer Roadtreks are a pretty much an unknown brand with little or no documentation and don't cost that much compared to top brands. The problem might be with the lower tier inverter but you'd have expected others to have reported their GFI outlets not working by now.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 01:04 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruising7388 View Post
This really is perplexing. If the AC and microwave operate during inverter operation, the inverter is obviously delivering power so the usual suspect would be the GFIs. But on shore power, appliance loads on the GFI receptacles doesn't trip them which indicates the GFIs are not defective.

Inverter/chargers are typically set up to bond the neutral and ground paths when the inverter is delivering 120V but releases the neutral & ground bond when shorepower is providing 120 volts to the coach loads. Are your inverters set up that way?

Can you power down an inverter (one at a time) to see if the problem goes away?
Thank you for the reply. There are 2 inverters and each one appears to supply separate appliances, etc. It seems that one works perfectly on both shore power and also battery. That one controls the cooktop, microwave, etc. The other seems to be powering the lights, electrical outlets and some other items.

The cooktop inverter works perfectly. The other inverter seems to power everything properly with exception of the outlets. When on shore power, the outlets can power a coffee maker for instance, but the inverter hums. When on battery, the same coffee maker will cause all outlets to lose power.

We checked everything and the tv, microwave, lights, heat, cooktop, everything works properly, with exception of the outlets. It's odd.

We did already replace what we thought was a bad inverter, with a same kind from the original manufacturer and determined that it can't be the inverter because the same problem occurs.
Old 05-21-2019, 01:09 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo View Post
I saw the first post and wondered if GFI circuits were tripping & meant to ask you but forgot.

Apparently some brands of GFI outlets are more sensitive than others. Here's a doc from Xantrex that gets into it: http://maze.airstreamlife.com/wp-con...h_Note_018.pdf

Xantrex has tested and use Pass & Seymour/Legrand GFI outlets. You could do some research to find out which GFI outlets work best with inverters and then replace the existing GFI outlets with one that have the best chance of working with an inverter.

At least some of the inverters seen in newer Roadtreks are a pretty much an unknown brand with little or no documentation and don't cost that much compared to top brands. The problem might be with the lower tier inverter but you'd have expected others to have reported their GFI outlets not working by now.
Yes, I haven't seen any other posts about outlets in Roadtreks not working. There are 2 or 3 GFI outlets and others that are not GFI. I can only think that we did plug an electric blanket into a non GFI outlet, and maybe that shorted something?

No matter which outlet that we plug something into, when using battery charge, they all lose power if anything other than a cell phone charger is plugged into it.
Old 05-21-2019, 01:15 AM   #7

We are perplexed and already had an appointment at a local dealer scheduled for today originally to have the A/C checked and ready for summer. It is with them and we await some diagnosis from them hopefully soon and quickly since we have to come out of pocket without the warranty in place.

I will be sure to update the post. Hopefully it is quick and simple!!

Thanks so much for the feedback.
Old 05-21-2019, 01:25 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpbanker View Post
Yes, I haven't seen any other posts about outlets in Roadtreks not working. There are 2 or 3 GFI outlets and others that are not GFI. I can only think that we did plug an electric blanket into a non GFI outlet, and maybe that shorted something?

No matter which outlet that we plug something into, when using battery charge, they all lose power if anything other than a cell phone charger is plugged into it.
After reading the link, I am wondering if the electric blanket damaged the one outlet and we are now somehow experiencing "nuisance tripping". I am going to call the dealer tomorrow and suggest if they agree this could be the issue to start there. Thanks again!