Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2017, 01:49 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Cool Problem running MW and Induction cook top

Both my Microwave and Induction cook top work perfect when hooked up to shore power. But neither work when running the on board Onan 2.8 generator. I have had the generator checked by two Onan shops. They both say it is performing as it should.

The inverter may be effecting the power in some way because if I plug them into an extension cord that is plugged into a non inverter plug they will work.

I don't see anything on the inverter to effect this, but have tried to change both low voltage switch level and the percent of battery charging.

Any ideals?
Capt Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 02:00 PM   #2
Platinum Member

year and model?

on MY onan 2.8 it puts out AC voltage- no inverter is in the circuit or used for this mode of operation.

most models use an automatic switch to select shore power or genny- if you have no ac when the genny s running that could be your problem.

there is also a circuit breaker ON the genny- on my 2800, remove the front panel and there is are marking pointing to it, you can finger down and flip it up if tripped

an inverter takes DC voltage and converts to AC

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 02:00 PM   #3
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Ron View Post
Both my Microwave and Induction cook top work perfect when hooked up to shore power. But neither work when running the on board Onan 2.8 generator. I have had the generator checked by two Onan shops. They both say it is performing as it should.

The inverter may be effecting the power in some way because if I plug them into an extension cord that is plugged into a non inverter plug they will work.

I don't see anything on the inverter to effect this, but have tried to change both low voltage switch level and the percent of battery charging.

Any ideals?

Sounds like a wiring problem.
Old 07-14-2017, 02:28 PM   #4
Platinum Member

I think you have a Roadtrek Ranger?

A big problem is that Roadtrek won't give out any wiring diagrams, and yours is a newer model. Roadtrek has done a lot of changes on their power systems, so there are lots of variations out there.

Normally, you would have one or two transfer switches in the system. One would switch between shore and generator power and would be first in line, and the second transfer switch would likely be within the inverter/charger and would switch between AC power from the genny or shore, and battery inverted power. In your case, the first transfer switch would cause what you see if it quit working.

Best to start with the circuit breaker on the genny, if you have no AC power to anything, plus the breakers to those appliances.

On edit-did they ever work off the genny?
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 03:15 PM   #5
Bronze Member

The AC works perfect on the generator. The only problem is as stated. And yes it is a 2015 Ranger RT.

Hasn't worked since I bought the unit from Lazy Days used. And getting any help from them is impossible. They have the very worst follow up support, they put me off till 30 day warranty ran out.
Old 07-14-2017, 03:45 PM   #6
Site Team

A lot of rigs have automatic switches (kind of like a transfer switch) that are intended to prevent overloading the genset by giving priority to the microwave (and perhaps other loads) over the A/C. My old Interstate would automatically turn off the A/C whenever the microwave was running. These devices can be trouble-prone. If such a device is present and not working properly, this could account for your symptoms.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 04:57 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Not sure if your gen is factory install or later by dealer or diy?
But on our Ranger it was factory, on the build sheet (G3500 chassis).
Run microwave on either gennie Or inverter - not both together.
Inverter will not power AC compressor, maybe the fan (only) in heat pump unit, but don't use it like that. We use inverter Very sparingly, it draws a lot of amps. Have a smaller (400wat) portable inv. for DW c-pap machine & for DVD/TV. Use much less power from batteries. We have 2 AGM 6v batteries, also factory. And we have propane on board for cook top, so no elect. Use there either.
Hope you get your Ranger sorted out. We love ours.
S/ Ric.
AZ ADVenturist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 08:49 PM   #8
Bronze Member

Mine is on a 2500 chassis and I think the 750 watt inverter, It won't run microwave. Sounds like yours is 1250 watt.
I have a factory installed generator.
I had one 12volt AGM and had it changed to 2 six volts for higher amps.
Old 07-14-2017, 09:35 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Ron, I believe you are getting close to solving the problem.
Most of the guys who have responded are really sharp & good resource for this type dilemma. Good luck, keep us posted.
Old 07-20-2017, 02:07 PM   #10
Bronze Member

I wanted to bring everyone up to date on my problem.
First I have talked with Trip-Lite support, and they have said that my
(RV 1250ULHW) unit is a 1250watt unit. Second that it must see 60hz + or - .03 from the generator for it to work properly.

The generator is putting out 62hz with no load and 58 to 59hz with the AC running. Therefore they won't work together.

I have had the generator checked by two Onan service centers and they say the generator is adjusted and performing as it should. Does anyone know if their Onan frequency is adjusted like mine?

So I am back to where I started.

The inverter does have a problem, which I am addressing. It is indicating that there is AC input when the inverter is on, but it still provides AC output as normal. It just seems to be a wrong indication led.

Does anyone have this RV 1250ULHW Tripp-Lite and Onan 2.8 working together? Or did Roadtrek install the wrong unit?

I have talked with Roadtrek and they think that they should work.
Old 07-20-2017, 07:48 PM   #11
Bronze Member

Update;
I just got an e-mail from Roadtrek support they directed me to take my RV to a dealer for repair under warranty. I talked with a dealer and they said, they would order a new inverter to replace the one in it. And they would be able to tell then if there were any other problems.
That they would let me know when they got the new inverter in and set up an appointment.
Maybe I'm finally getting some where.
Old 07-20-2017, 08:13 PM   #12
BBQ
Platinum Member

It is always good to hear a manufacturer stands up for its product and make the customer whole.
Old 07-21-2017, 04:40 PM   #13
Silver Member

You are trying to run off the inverter. Even if the generator is running, you can't operate high loads off the inverter. Could be too small of an inverter. Could be too small of cables causing voltage drop. Could be too low of amp hour battery bank.
Sehc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 08:33 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sehc View Post
You are trying to run off the inverter. Even if the generator is running, you can't operate high loads off the inverter. Could be too small of an inverter. Could be too small of cables causing voltage drop. Could be too low of amp hour battery bank.
Use one or the other, not both together! Inverter, even 1250 is for "light" duty. Gen. Is for Air Cond, & battery charge. .. as I understand & use ours.
Old 07-21-2017, 08:49 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sehc View Post
If he has the generator running, the (possibly two) automatic transfer switches should be running all the AC load in the van off the generator, unless he is plugged in to shore power at the same time.

One of the transfer switches is internal to the inverter/charger so if that unit sees a fault, like the frequency the OP mentioned, it could lock out the generator from running things that are wired through the AC circuits of the inverter/charger.

He would not be running off the inverter side side of the inverter/charger, so the inverter capacity doesn't matter, just what the pass through AC capacity is.
Old 07-23-2017, 01:14 AM   #16
Bronze Member

That is correct the transfer switch in the inverter isn't happy with the quality of the generator frequency.
And, I don't have the inverter on, that is the way the AC is routed to any outlet that will work on the inverter.
Roadtrek is going to check it out in the next few days.
Old 07-23-2017, 10:59 PM   #17
g1g
Platinum Member

I could be way off base here but first I have a Coachmen not a Roatrek and they me be different. It is my understanding that the transfer switch will take electric from shore power (first priority) then if nothing the generator and it does not allow both to send power to the house outlets just one. Then I do not know where an inverter comes into play with a generator or shore power only when running off battery. I doubt a 1250 inverter will run both and it may matter if it is true or modified sine wave. Then what is the input of the microwave and induction cooker and does the generator die when you start the second one or does a circuit breaker blow?
g1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 11:11 PM   #18
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by g1g View Post
I could be way off base here but first I have a Coachmen not a Roatrek and they me be different. It is my understanding that the transfer switch will take electric from shore power (first priority) then if nothing the generator and it does not allow both to send power to the house outlets just one. Then I do not know where an inverter comes into play with a generator or shore power only when running off battery. I doubt a 1250 inverter will run both and it may matter if it is true or modified sine wave. Then what is the input of the microwave and induction cooker and does the generator die when you start the second one or does a circuit breaker blow?
Folks are missing the point that there are two transfer switches. The first on chooses between shore power and generator and is standalone, the second one is in the inverter and chooses between whatever the first transfer switch has sent through (if anything) and the inverter off of the batteries (if nothing sent through the first transfer switch).
Old 07-24-2017, 11:12 AM   #19
g1g
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
Folks are missing the point that there are two transfer switches. The first on chooses between shore power and generator and is standalone, the second one is in the inverter and chooses between whatever the first transfer switch has sent through (if anything) and the inverter off of the batteries (if nothing sent through the first transfer switch).

I see that makes sense. So in this case the inverter doesn't like the quality of electric from the generator so it stops and uses the inverter to send the electric through. But there is not enough power for both.
Since I don't have an inverter I was never exposed to that part
g1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 06:59 PM   #20
Bronze Member

Problem Solved

Today, the Roadtrek dealer in Gainesville Fl replaced the inverter, and it corrected the problem. Roadtrek paid $746.96 under warranty.

We found out also, that my inverter switch has to be on for anything but the Air Conditioner to work from the generator. They said, that the units are wired different from unit to unit. A lot of them are wired so the switch is off during generator operation.

I think it is because of what Tripp Lite said and the varying frequency of the generator. They said, that the frequency has to be 60 + or - .03hz, and that is why everything works with the inverter switch off with shore power. It has a good clean frequency.

But it is working as designed, Roadtrek just used the wrong unit.