Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2019, 01:43 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default problem when connected to shore power

I have a 2018 Roadtrek Zion With echo trek system all works good when dry camping but when I plug into shore power the dc voltage fluctuates anywhere between 13v to 14.9v and I hear a loud noise like relays opening and closing
any help would be appreciated.
Thanks Joe
mira1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 03:52 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mira1 View Post
I have a 2018 Roadtrek Zion With echo trek system all works good when dry camping but when I plug into shore power the dc voltage fluctuates anywhere between 13v to 14.9v and I hear a loud noise like relays opening and closing
Thanks Joe
remember when your plugged in the charger part of your inverter/charger/converter is working
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 06:51 PM   #3
Bronze Member

After a few minutes tried to start the vehicle and it worked fine. driving situation were cold and wet. this is a brand new edge. Anybody knows what could cause such a thing. at a secure by dealership now awaiting analysis.
Jill Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 11:10 PM   #4
Platinum Member

what is the timescale of the noises and voltage fluctuations?

My batter charger goes to the mid-14-volts about once a day (two days?) as part of a battery maintenance program... but it sounds like your issue might be on a much faster scale?
BigFatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 05:27 PM   #5
Bronze Member

If you are plugging into the same place (home or campsite), you may have a reverse polarity (if you are using a surge protector which monitors this you will see a reverse polarity warning). Since you didn't describe this, I can assume this is a long shot guess.
hdevera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 05:29 PM   #6
Bronze Member

The clicking noise might be the surge protector checking polarity and voltage every so often.
hdevera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 02:31 AM   #7

I know that most (all?) of the Roadtrek/Hymer Ecotrek systems need one (or both) Ecotreks turned on when the RV is connected to shore power, to prevent these DC voltage fluctuations. That is how my Hymer Aktiv works.
JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 02:07 PM   #8
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mira1 View Post
Thanks Joe
I missed diagnosed my problem when not connected to shore power the voltage I see is from the agm battery and when connected to shore power voltage fluctuate and hear the relays clicking, I found a RV dealer that will handle Roadtrek when they start producing new model and look after warranty they said my problem is that my lithium batteries have shut down and they have set up a appointment for me on 25th of this month. Dealer about 200 miles away which not too bad. Will post a update when problem is solved.

Joe
mira1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 05:14 AM   #9

Hey Joe, Any updates on why your lithium battery shut down? I seem to have the same problem with my '18 Roadtrek RS w/ 400 ah lithiums. one of the banks keeps shutting down. The BMS must found some condition (I believe under charged), that it won't allow ON. My problem is the BMS will also not allow me to charge it via shore power or 2nd alternator. Any help or insights would be helpful.
ahamuser is offline   Reply With Quote