Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2016, 04:05 PM   #1

Default Pure sine wave inverter for Travato 59k

Really enjoying our 59k but find the generator too noisy. Found a 2000 watt Pure sine wave inverter on Amazon. It seems to fit right over the batteries at the back of the compartment with the furnace. This will keep the wire length to a minimum. I had thought to just hook it to a switchable plug for the microwave. Is there a simple way to setup an automatic switch between the shore power and the inverter? thanks for any thoughts.
emare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 05:29 PM   #2
Platinum Member

I use these: http://www.classbforum.com/forums/f5...elay-1910.html

It's rated for 1800 watts - a full 120VAC 15A household type circuit.

I use one with a 1500W Samlex PSW inverter in the van and one with a 1000W PSW inverter in my house as part of a DIY UPS system.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 01:50 PM   #3
Platinum Member

I ordered this Kisae unit for my van based on all the good reviews. The transfer switch is built in, so you wire it between the main shore cord and the stock transfer switch. Easy peasy.

Haven't had time to install it yet, but it's big enough to run everything in the coach.

Kisae SWXFR-1230 True Sine Wave Inverter with Transfer Switch, 3000W
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 02:55 PM   #4
Platinum Member

That looks like a nice and affordable unit with full 30A pass through. AC output appears to be limited to 20A (2400 watts). That should be enough for RV's with convection type microwave ovens that are on a 20A circuit.
Old 10-25-2016, 02:59 PM   #5
Platinum Member

And there is a 2000 watt version of the Kisae if you don't need the extra power and want to save a little money...
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 03:31 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo View Post
That looks like a nice and affordable unit with full 30A pass through. AC output appears to be limited to 20A (2400 watts). That should be enough for RV's with convection type microwave ovens that are on a 20A circuit.
There are terminals to wire to the AC output directly to get the full 3000 watt output instead of using the receptacle. As Wincrasher noted it is an easy install between the shore power and the existing transfer switch.
Old 10-25-2016, 03:40 PM   #7
Platinum Member

I wonder if this would work in my 2004 RT 190P with the existing wiring. I contacted Roadtrek about upgrading my inverter and they basically advised me to go to an authorized shop.
ManWonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 03:53 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManWonder View Post
I wonder if this would work in my 2004 RT 190P with the existing wiring. I contacted Roadtrek about upgrading my inverter and they basically advised me to go to an authorized shop.
Your owner's manual may have the circuit info showing the wire sizes and other info but if you have a Tripp-Lite inverter it also contains the shore battery charger so this could not replace it. Kisae does have models that also include a charger.
Old 10-25-2016, 05:39 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmchugh View Post
There are terminals to wire to the AC output directly to get the full 3000 watt output instead of using the receptacle. As Wincrasher noted it is an easy install between the shore power and the existing transfer switch.
Good catch

Quote:
For maximum capacity use the AC Output Port 1 which is out of the tripping influence of the GFCI Outlet and the unit’s thermal breaker.
Old 10-25-2016, 05:39 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Your owner's manual may have the circuit info showing the wire sizes and other info but if you have a Tripp-Lite inverter it also contains the shore battery charger so this could not replace it. Kisae does have models that also include a charger.
My '04 190P came with the Parallax converter - i think the next year Roadtrek went to the Tripplite.
Old 10-25-2016, 05:43 PM   #11
Platinum Member

It was a change-over year. I bought a nearly new 2004 190P in 2005 and it had a Tripp-Lite inverter charger.
Old 10-25-2016, 05:56 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManWonder View Post
My '04 190P came with the Parallax converter - i think the next year Roadtrek went to the Tripplite.
With the converter you would need to make sure the cables between the batteries and the inverter were large enough and either use the outlets on the inverter or figure out where to hard wire the inverter into the existing 120 circuits to use the built in transfer switch. You don't want the converter to be powered by the inverter when you are not getting shore power being passed through the inverter though so that would drive how you connect it into the existing wiring if you went that way. Do you have AGM house batteries? Is your Parallax set up for AGMs?
Old 10-25-2016, 06:16 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
With the converter you would need to make sure the cables between the batteries and the inverter were large enough and either use the outlets on the inverter or figure out where to hard wire the inverter into the existing 120 circuits to use the built in transfer switch. You don't want the converter to be powered by the inverter when you are not getting shore power being passed through the inverter though so that would drive how you connect it into the existing wiring if you went that way. Do you have AGM house batteries? Is your Parallax set up for AGMs?
The previous owner had just replaced both batteries with new lead acid ones. So for the time being, that is what I am working with.
Old 10-26-2016, 12:55 AM   #14
Platinum Member

Oh and speaking of batteries (perhaps I should start a new thread but...) I cannot get the battery that sits at the rear of my 190P to slide out so I can check the water level. It is so darn frustrating! Does anyone know why this might be the case? It has a locking mechanism which I undid but the thing will just not slide out. I tried penetrating oil, using different pry bars, used every bad word I know more than once and am almost at the point of trying a winch (which I don't have). Anyone have any experience with this sort of thing? The battery in the middle of the 190P was no problem. It is just the back one that refuses to budge.

Tags
pure sine wave inverter