Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2019, 01:16 AM   #1
Bronze Member

Default renogy AGM battery

Anybody had good or back luck with a lower cost battery such as the Renogy? I need to replace my battery pretty soon & am debating whether to go budget or something a lot more expensive. I don't want to add a box and venting so I'm sticking with AGM.

How many years, or days of off grid camping do folks get out of a battery?
papab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 04:44 PM   #2
Platinum Member

I've not had a Renogy, so no help there.

You asked how long does a battery last without stating how many amp hours the battery is or how many amp hours of power you will use in a day. Cannot answer without more specifics, sorry.

I have a theoretical 100 amp hours of battery, lead acid. I can go three nights if I don't require the Fantastic fan or the furnace running. But I don't use all that much power, maybe 20 ah/day assuming the above are not used more than a little bit.
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 06:14 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by papab View Post
Anybody had good or back luck with a lower cost battery such as the Renogy? I need to replace my battery pretty soon & am debating whether to go budget or something a lot more expensive. I don't want to add a box and venting so I'm sticking with AGM.

How many years, or days of off grid camping do folks get out of a battery?
I think you're asking about life of the battery. Renogy reviews seem ok, but I don't have first hand experience. Some on this forum report many years of use out of various lead-acid battery types (of which AGM's are one).

In general, all batteries have a recharge cycle-life that can be from hundreds to thousands of times. While any particular brand or even a particular sample from that brand will vary, the depth-of-discharge is the main factor in overall battery life.

The deeper you take it down, the more harm. You want to stay at 50% discharge or less to avoid significant damage that will lessen the cycle-life. Also, charge the battery back up as quickly as you can. Best not to let it sit at a significant discharge level for very long. They like to be stored "topped up".
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 08:30 PM   #4
Bronze Member

Yes, I'm asking about total life. I understand the basics, and they rate them based on number of cycles and depth of discharge, but I don't think a battery in a campervan/RV will get the rated number of cycles out of it.
papab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 09:34 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Yes, I'm asking about total life. I understand the basics, and they rate them based on number of cycles and depth of discharge, but I don't think a battery in a campervan/RV will get the rated number of cycles out of it.
You're probably right. Age will get a battery before cycles unless it is perfectly maintained. And in the real world, that doesn't happen.

I'm replacing an 18 month old set of lead-acids that now want to rest at 12.45 volts. I've never discharged them past 60% and kept them topped regularly with distilled water. Maybe sulfation beyond what a de-sulfation cycle will correct? Whatever reason, a $140 pair will set me right.
Old 09-22-2019, 09:36 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
You're probably right. Age will get a battery before cycles unless it is perfectly maintained. And in the real world, that doesn't happen.

I'm replacing an 18 month old set of lead-acids that now want to rest at 12.45 volts. I've never discharged them past 60%, kept them topped regularly with distilled water, and thought my charger was keeping them maintained. Maybe sulfation beyond what a de-sulfation cycle will correct? Whatever reason, a $140 pair will set me right.
Old 09-22-2019, 09:48 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post

I'm replacing an 18 month old set of lead-acids that now want to rest at 12.45 volts. I've never discharged them past 60%, kept them topped regularly with distilled water, and thought my charger was keeping them maintained. Maybe sulfation beyond what a de-sulfation cycle will correct? Whatever reason, a $140 pair will set me right.

I think the critical part of this statement is that rowiebowie thought the charger was keeping them maintained, which would mean getting fully charged regularly to a true 100% full. Low resting voltage and likely quite reduced capacity, probably due to undercharging, will wreck batteries at least as quickly as deep discharges, and is extremely common with the chargers that are available reasonably priced.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 01:07 AM   #8
Gold Member

In the new to me '02Crt190p I found a Centrec Battery charger (Harbor Freight) hardwired into the Centurian 3000 CS 4500. the 110 side was connected to the Converter Charger circuit breaker and the 12 v was connected to the main 12v fuse bank busses. Disconnected it, tested the power converter charger, the generator charge and with the Truck running the alternator charge at the battery. the power converter was not charging the battery but both the generator and the alternator charge are functioning. I have been through this before changing out an old Magnatech on the old Lance camper that had ruined many batteries with overcharging . Even the replaced Parallelx did a lousy job charging the battery. My solution is to purchase a Battery Tender ,4 amp charger maintainer. It will connect directly to the battery and will plug into the RT at the side door 110 receptacle which happens be on the same circuit as the
the non functioning CS4500 power converter charger. I figure that while driving on the road the battery will get its charge or I can run the generator if a necessary while boondocking. If in a place where I can get shore power the 4 amp BT just might keep
up with the 12v discharge over night. I am looking to add another battery thinking AGM might be the best choice. The BT has the ability to charge lead acid, AGM and Lithium. I do not think the RT generator or the truck going through the Centurian CS4500 will be able to fully charge the Lithium. Lithium's are pricey, have limitations for discharge and freezing temp charging so a pair of AGMs seem like the right choice for me. Another idea to sort out will be solar but I prefer to camp in the shade and while driving the truck will charge the battery. Any opinions, any advice on which AGMs to buy would be appreciated
Floorman is offline   Reply With Quote