Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-21-2017, 03:27 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Replace Onan with Honda 2K?

Would it be possible to power an air conditioner with a 2kw Honda in conjunction with inverter battery power when the large startup load is needed? I think the Honda 2k will run the AC fine after it starts up.

If this would work it would be a much better setup for me than replacing the Onan.
peteco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 03:56 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteco View Post
Would it be possible to power an air conditioner with a 2kw Honda in conjunction with inverter battery power when the large startup load is needed? I think the Honda 2k will run the AC fine after it starts up.

If this would work it would be a much better setup for me than replacing the Onan.
I think several folks have said the Honda will run the CoolCat by itself, as long as the AC has an easy start capacitor in it.

To do it with inverter boost, I think you would need one of the special inverter chargers made to do that very thing. I think Avanti has such an inverter.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 04:20 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
I think several folks have said the Honda will run the CoolCat by itself, as long as the AC has an easy start capacitor in it.

To do it with inverter boost, I think you would need one of the special inverter chargers made to do that very thing. I think Avanti has such an inverter.
Our inverter (Outback 2800) does not have the "AC boost" feature (in which you can get power from "shore" and batteries at the same time). However, it IS capable of switching between inverter output and "shore" power without glitching the AC output. So, if your inverter is powerful enough to start the AC (which ours easily is), you could presumably start with the inverter and then switch to the genset. But, modern A/C compressors aren't that hard to start, so I suspect the genset would just work.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 04:26 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Agree on the starting, our Magnum MS2000 will also start the Coolcat without issue.
Old 11-21-2017, 05:29 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
Our inverter (Outback 2800) does not have the "AC boost" feature (in which you can get power from "shore" and batteries at the same time). However, it IS capable of switching between inverter output and "shore" power without glitching the AC output. So, if your inverter is powerful enough to start the AC (which ours easily is), you could presumably start with the inverter and then switch to the genset. But, modern A/C compressors aren't that hard to start, so I suspect the genset would just work.
Looks like there are "hybrid" inverters that will combine power inputs to meet a required load. Even if the generator can handle the startup there may be times you need more power, like when running the microwave. I am just lining up plans for future upgrades.
peteco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 06:11 PM   #6
Platinum Member

This is an example of the type of inverter designed to do what you were asking for: 3000W 12VDC Pure Sine Hybrid Inverter Charger MSH Series | Magnum Dimensions

Most inverter/chargers either provide AC power as a pass-through from grid /generator power or from a battery bank. They are either charging or inverting - both functions can't happen at the same time.

My guess is that passing the load from a non boosting or non hybrid inverter/charger to a smaller generator could be problematic because of the instantaneous higher than expected load on the smaller generator. The higher than expected load would be comprised of both the charging function of the inverter/charger activating (likely bulk mode) and the air conditioner load occurring at the same time. Some inverters will allow you to program the charging parameters so that could help limit that part of the overall load.

Some inverter/chargers synchronize with the new AC source before allowing the near instantaneous transfer to take place. If the generator can handle the load then it should be seamless.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 07:37 PM   #7
Bud
Platinum Member

I'm now thinking that if/when my Loud onan gives up, I'll remove the third seat in my 05/04 Roadtrek 190 and place a Honda or whatever quieter generator there. I did that the first 6 years with my flying machine (paramotor) with about a gallon a fuel on average and another gallon or so in a good gas can on the shelf in the toilet closet. So now the generator instead of the paramotor.

Question: Is there anyway to use the space of the onan for something? How to get to it, etc.? If I can't use space where the onan was, what a waste of space in a B rv.

Thanks.

Bud
Bud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 07:50 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
I'm now thinking that if/when my Loud onan gives up, I'll remove the third seat in my 05/04 Roadtrek 190 and place a Honda or whatever quieter generator there. I did that the first 6 years with my flying machine (paramotor) with about a gallon a fuel on average and another gallon or so in a good gas can on the shelf in the toilet closet. So now the generator instead of the paramotor.

Question: Is there anyway to use the space of the onan for something? How to get to it, etc.? If I can't use space where the onan was, what a waste of space in a B rv.

Thanks.

Bud
Interesting idea on the 3rd seat location, never heard of that before, but might be a good spot. I think you have C190P Roadtrek?

The spot for the Onan is something like 28" wide across the van and probably 20" front to back and 10-12" high as it varies because of a frame piece. Factory van frame parts pretty much block access from inside the van, I think, but would have to look a little closer. We put 440ah of AGM there without issue, and I would guess you could also put a water tank there if you wanted to have extra water.
Old 11-21-2017, 08:08 PM   #9
Bud
Platinum Member

"Interesting idea on the 3rd seat location, never heard of that before, but might be a good spot. I think you have C190P Roadtrek?"

Yes, much like yourself.

booster, I don't seem to have the battery amp need you do. In my case, it just seems like a waste of space which is of course almost sacrilegious with a B. Still seems pretty clear cut in my case, better than fixing or replacing the Loud onan. Can't complain though, other than Loud my onan has been flawless.

Bud
Bud is online now   Reply With Quote