Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2019, 12:21 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Roadtrek 1.5 Din to Double Din

I have a 1999 Roadtrek 190 versatile on a dodge Ram 3500 van. I want to change the entertainment head to something more modern, some thing with hands Free, DVD, navigation, Backup camera. There are many choices for a Double Din, very few for 1.5 Din. I want to modify the Dash Bezel to accommodate a Double Din Head.
Has any body done this?
Any words of caution? Advice? Did you require a special trim kit?
Boyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 08:12 PM   #2
Bronze Member

Hello Boyde

I own a 1995 Dodge Versatile and I don't know how much of a difference there is between a 1995 and a 1999 dashboard but in my 95 I wanted to replace the single din with another single din that incorporated a flip out screen with a navigation system. The problem was the angle of the dash board (it stuck out further at the top than at the bottom). The top of the dashboard would have prevented the screen from opening in it's full 'open' vertical position. So that idea went out the door.

I would be very interested in how, if you chose to, modify the dash bezel.

On a side note, I think there would have to be major modifying of the dash itself in order to turn a single din into a double din... but with skills... I guess it could be done.
Kr4ftw3rk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 03:45 AM   #3

The 98's and up have a substantially different dash configuration then the 78-97's.

(I have a 1999 GWV Classic Supreme on the same 3500 chassis)

I had a pretty good look at doing the same thing; Expand the 1.5 Din to 2 din. My personal opinion is that its doable, but its not easy and you have a good chance of making an ugly mess of things. You are going to have to cut and modify the external trim. That's the part you see of course, so you need to judge your skills there and exactly what your expectations are. That might be the easier part.

The space behind that dash trim which actually supports the radio is where the action really is. I didn't see any "quick win" there, so you're going to need to do a lot of cut and fabricate, and the the HVAC is also in that mix if I recall correctly. I don't really exactly what was going on there enough other then I was like nuts to that too much work.

My thought after all of that is just to buy a 1 din foldout say like a AVH-3500NEX. I've not actually done that, but its been a consideration.

Keep us advised if you go for the 2 din install...
Turbowhiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 10:58 AM   #4
Platinum Member

My understanding from having read other posters on other forums is that you basically have to form your own dash component. Form it, as in craft it... make your own fiberglass mold and literally create it. Buy a dash insert and mod it yourself.

OR, chop a hole elsewhere in your dash, in a location where you can just cut without having to re-form.

Given that both of those are big projects, we decided to go with one of those flip-out versions - a Pioneer. It has Apple Car Play capability and it was not cheap.

But the screen quality sucks. It's too dim during the day, too bright at night, and the programming logic is impenetrable to the point of making the thing almost useless. Retrospectively, we should have gone with the dash re-forming route so that we could get a head unit of better quality.

Some pics... too dim during the day (Garmin beside it for comparison)...

...and too bright at night (that being true whether its set to maps or music or whatever). Look at how much brighter it is relative to the Garmin and the iPad below. Slogging through the menu, there might be a way to adjust that, but like I said, the logic is impenetrable.

EDIT:

Here is someone's build album for a Sprinter. Not your vehicle, I know, but you can get the general idea of the process from this.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 06:23 PM   #5
Bronze Member

Thanks for the advice, please keep it coming. I have not committed yet, although I have a professional installer coming next week, he thinks he can do it. I am not committed until he makes hos first cut.
Old 09-27-2019, 04:08 AM   #6
Platinum Member

There is some discussion on the Travato FB page about how the Pioneer sucks and that people are going to the Alpine Halo 9 because it has a much better screen. This sticks out so goes i believe in a single din slot so it might work without dash modification for your situation. The Travato is a Promaster so that is what people are installing this in.
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 10:45 AM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowy View Post
There is some discussion on the Travato FB page about how the Pioneer sucks and that people are going to the Alpine Halo 9 because it has a much better screen. This sticks out so goes i believe in a single din slot so it might work without dash modification for your situation. The Travato is a Promaster so that is what people are installing this in.
There seems to be a wide variety of sub-models that are $500 - $1,500 on Crutchfield. For that price, it better be way beyond perfect in every way.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 12:51 PM   #8
Bronze Member

Thanks for your thoughts. I have not committed yet. Tuesday the professional comes . The biggest reason I am changing the unit, is the RV’s driving area is wide and the existing radio is closer to the drivers side. My lovely wife is short, she likes to fiddle with the radio, she cannot reach it from the passenger side.

I need a unit with a remote control. I have found units with remote controls in double din size. And in a couple of years, whatever I install today will be out of date, with new technology. Many options in the double din size, I like flexibility.
More thoughts?
Old 09-27-2019, 08:17 PM   #9
Platinum Member

I have a 97 PW on Dodge 3500 chassis. Toyed with the same problem: 1.5 din. Eventually just replaced the original (cassette!) unit with a 1-din media unit. Don't use radio much so might not be best solution for you. Partner uses Google maps on our iphone or ipad for navigation. iphone thru media player for music on iphone. Good luck.
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote