Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-19-2017, 01:12 AM   #141

George,
Have you ever checked out the 2005 Airstream Westfalia , a Sprinter van conversion by Westfalia when Mercedes owned Westfalia. Airstream imported about 240 of them. It has a wet bath in addition to a nice galley kitchen. I bought one new and have 9 cross country trips in it. Compared to what I read about the Travato and Aktiv, the Westy has a much better reliability record. I do have an order in on an Aktiv that I plan to keep on the east coast and the Westy on the west. I just wanted a newer RV that should be easier to drive. The Westy also the main bed up above and being 77 I prefer not having to climb up and down at night. I'm hoping Hymer gets it's act together by this summer when I take delivery.
Juju
Jujupang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 03:28 AM   #142
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jujupang View Post
George,
Have you ever checked out the 2005 Airstream Westfalia , a Sprinter van conversion by Westfalia when Mercedes owned Westfalia. Airstream imported about 240 of them. It has a wet bath in addition to a nice galley kitchen. I bought one new and have 9 cross country trips in it. Compared to what I read about the Travato and Aktiv, the Westy has a much better reliability record. I do have an order in on an Aktiv that I plan to keep on the east coast and the Westy on the west. I just wanted a newer RV that should be easier to drive. The Westy also the main bed up above and being 77 I prefer not having to climb up and down at night. I'm hoping Hymer gets it's act together by this summer when I take delivery.
Juju
Thank you, yes, I am aware of Airstream Westfalia or James Cook in EU. In 2013 we were looking for a new camper van and I think Airstream Westfalia stopped in 2007. Similar model today but on a smaller VW T6 is the Club Joker, unfortunately only in EU. Good luck with the new van, unfortunately Hymer in NA is not quite the same as in EU.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 07:39 PM   #143
Platinum Member

I think when you buy solely on price, you shouldn't be surprised if you are being sold solely on price. We dropped a couple units from consideration because of the dealer.

I agree with David on Lake Region RV where we just bought and I also had very good experience with Steinbring in Garfield MN who helped us a lot though we didn't buy there. Both are Roadtrek dealers. We also felt good about Bunyan in Duluth, which isn't, although we didn't buy from them either.
RossWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 11:16 PM   #144
Bronze Member

I really enjoy my Carado Axion (manufactured by Roadtrek for Carado). I have the Ecotrek with solar and lithium. But my underhood generator or Balmar is not working. I've heard of others who also have issues.

I found the Balmar on the driver side under the van attached to the frame. It lights up and cycles through setting displaying:. AL, 14c, b2, nc, BAL, b14, LFP, 6-0,. -6- ... and so on. The belt is turning. The fuses look fine. All cables seem connected. It's wonderful when it works, but a pain when it's on the fritz.
kmrotterdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 01:42 AM   #145

Default Eko trek power batteries

I am a very new owner of a HYMER ATKIV RPAD> I just picked it up this thursday. I cannot get the power to work off the batteries I have read the owners manual and also the extra EKO TREK Batteries supplement. I still cannot seem to get the coach to have power when I am not plugged in (shore mode) Today I drove for 73 miles mostly freeway as suggested and still not power when I attempt to use the batteries only. DOes anyone know if there is a main battery shut off switch besides the one on the EKO TREK battery PANEL that I might be missing? Thanks in advance for any help you can offer me. I am stumped. The service departments are not open on the weekends.
MeeMoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 02:01 AM   #146
Platinum Member

First, welcome to the forum. Second, sorry to hear about your problem.

Search for other owners of the Aktiv here on this forum by doing an advanced search like the one below and send them a PM (Private Message).

http://www.classbforum.com/forums/se...earchid=953816

I am not on social media, but I'm sure someone can point you to an owners group there.

Good luck.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 02:18 AM   #147
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
First, welcome to the forum. Second, sorry to hear about your problem.

Search for other owners of the Aktiv here on this forum by doing an advanced search like the one below and send them a PM (Private Message).

Class B Forums - Search Results

I am not on social media, but I'm sure someone can point you to an owners group there.

Good luck.
Facebook group to get info from owners...

Roadtrek & Hymer Owners Group
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 08:09 PM   #148
Bronze Member

Some basics:
1) Make sure your inverter unit is off, and you only control it only through the EcoTrek panel (some dealers mistakenly turn it on from the inverter itself; that happened to me).
2) Make sure the battery on/off rocker switch is in the ON position (you will see the voltage indicated when it is on)
3) Are you in a really cold climate? -- If it is cold, the batteries must be on and the BMS must first warm the batteries, and then they will come online and be charged and used.
4) if hooked up to shore power, the inverter must be on (and at least one EctTrek module on)

Let us know if any of this works

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeeMoo View Post
I am a very new owner of a HYMER ATKIV RPAD> I just picked it up this thursday. I cannot get the power to work off the batteries I have read the owners manual and also the extra EKO TREK Batteries supplement. I still cannot seem to get the coach to have power when I am not plugged in (shore mode) Today I drove for 73 miles mostly freeway as suggested and still not power when I attempt to use the batteries only. DOes anyone know if there is a main battery shut off switch besides the one on the EKO TREK battery PANEL that I might be missing? Thanks in advance for any help you can offer me. I am stumped. The service departments are not open on the weekends.
kmrotterdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 11:12 PM   #149

Default Eko trek power batteries

Thank you so much for these tips. I do not have power at all from the batteries. The coach is completely dead if I am not in shore power. Once in shore power, I push the o/off switch for the battery but the blue light doesnt even come on. I have held the reset button down for 30 seconds....still do not power up. Yesterday I drove around for 73 miles in ( inverter off) in an attempt to charge the batteries and still nothing. Im stumped am planning to call the service department tomorrow to see. Will post my issue later in hopes my mistake/findings help someone else.
Old 03-04-2019, 12:14 AM   #150
Platinum Member

Quote:
Thank you so much for these tips. I do not have power at all from the batteries. The coach is completely dead if I am not in shore power. Once in shore power, I push the o/off switch for the battery but the blue light doesnt even come on. I have held the reset button down for 30 seconds....still do not power up. Yesterday I drove around for 73 miles in ( inverter off) in an attempt to charge the batteries and still nothing. Im stumped am planning to call the service department tomorrow to see. Will post my issue later in hopes my mistake/findings help someone else.
If you don’t get good support from the RV dealer then in CA you have two excellent independent Roadtrek/Hymer service providers, Dan Neeley and Tony Pineda who get very good reviews from anyone who has used them...

Also, if you are on Facebook then join the Roadtrek & Hymer Owners Group to connect with other owners who can lead you to good places to get service. There are also Hymer specific owners groups on Facebook that are good, just make sure it is one in the US, the European owners groups are out there too...
Old 03-04-2019, 12:45 AM   #151

Thanks so much I did join the Hymer owners group on FB and looking forward to tomorrow when I can call the service department. I wonder, Are Dan Neeley and/or Tony Pineda close to me? I live in Livermore CA
Old 03-04-2019, 01:02 AM   #152
Platinum Member

Quote:
Thanks so much I did join the Hymer owners group on FB and looking forward to tomorrow when I can call the service department. I wonder, Are Dan Neeley and/or Tony Pineda close to me? I live in Livermore CA
Dan Neeley is mobile...

Home

Tony Pineda is Premier RV Service in Southern CA, his phone number is

(951) 818-6436
Old 03-04-2019, 01:23 AM   #153
Bronze Member

Quote:
In case they cannot help you, I am in Pleasanton.

Most of my work is with helping people add new electrical systems into conversion vans to make DIY class B's. They range from simple to fairly sophisticated.

I can take a look at it if you like.

Harry
Old 05-21-2019, 02:34 AM   #154
Gold Member

I just finished reading through all 16 pages of this thread because a good friend of mine contacted me to inquire about what I thought about a Hymer Class B. Prior to my reading this I discovered the current receivership situation with Hymer/Roadtrek/etc. and had advised him quite naturally as a result to avoid at this time purchasing either of these products, at least until this situation would be hopefully resolved. However, I read on in an effort to educate myself in regards to the currently in-thing among several mfg's wherein Lithium batteries, a big additional engine powered alternator (sorry, a "DC generator") some sort of auto-start technology and such would reliably replace the old school true generator, Onan or whoever, to reliably provide power to run an AC air conditioner all night or all day, and if so, how much fuel would be burned in comparison to do so if it was indeed a possible, reliable alternative, and as well if there were any reported problems associated with asking an automotive designed and engineered modern engine package to support a second aftermarket high output alternator (running at idle speed, no less) reliably. I must say that I was initially skeptical that this system would work, and this thread has certainly confirmed to me that the technology currently available is certainly not up to the task. (I still don't know how much fuel this costs to run compared to a small generator, but that's irrelevant, seeing how this system apparently can't do the job anyway).

I couldn't help but notice that the last comment to this thread was posted a week or two after Roadtrek etc. went into bankruptcy, which I feel could have definitely been precipitated, at least partially, by the fact that they decided to incorporate technology that was yet to be completely proven and the warranty problems that ensued, and I feel for all the folks that have been affected by this disaster. Buying a new motorhome, as most know, definitely does not remove the potential of teething issues, as to this day they are still just cobbled/slapped together from various parts by oftentimes fairly unskilled workers employed by companies that pretty much could care less by the fact that the buyers are the ones to do product worthiness and pay for it in terms of cash outlay and time spent without being able to use their new toy.

As far as AC goes, it seems to me that few members here enjoy trips in the South during the hot season and prefer boondocking over staying where hook-ups are present. Almost all of the folks that posted in this thread were apparently only concerned about their pets being left in their units for a few hours. I have a dog also, but additionally I enjoy summer Gulf Coast beach camping and such places away from the masses as an example, that oftentimes means, at least for this old softy, a nicely air conditioned environment to be able to sleep comfortably, and for 35 years or so my various RVs with an ac powered by a gasoline genset has certainly done the job. Are these thing perfect? Not by any means, although I do have enough mechanical knowledge to keep them going, and after thousands of hours relying upon them for ac requirements I have only had to have one major repair done by others (a rotor rebuild on a 2.8KW Onan). I also use a 2000W inverter to make coffee, use my microwave and toaster oven when I don't need the genny for ac.

I strongly believe in the KISS principle, and using tried and trued tech. I also do not buy new vehicles of any kind, both to avoid the ridiculous depreciation hit one takes when driving them off the lot, and to let the first sucker pay for what wasn't done right in the first place. I also believe that ANY vehicle used to haul appreciable weight is best served by an old pushrod normally aspirated cast iron gasoline powered V-8 or V-10, and one built before all of the microprocessors (like typically more than 100 or so these days) came into use. I can repair most issues with these in my driveway with my basic tools and a voltmeter, and if I can't I don't need to go to a dealer/stealer to take care of what I can't handle. And hey, the payout for getting 16-18 mpg over 11-15 mpg for a vehicle used a few thousand or so miles a year won't be made up during a lifetime anyway, even if your highly stressed overhead cam/variable lift/turbocharged/aluminum block little motor doesn't frag way before then.

So that's my two bits here. Stick with what is tried and true, don't try to keep up with the Jones's next door by buying the next greatest and latest and instead find good used vehicles, preferably built before say around 2000 or so around a good old American V-8. If you can't do it by yourself, find someone to check them out beforehand though, and then go and enjoy yourself without it costing you a fortune and endless headaches too boot. Just sayin'..........
nicaland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 03:55 AM   #155
Platinum Member

I think anyone who wants to boondock in the south with air conditioning 24/7 in the summer probably ought to have a generator. But if your plan is to spend a lot of time in the air-conditioned comfort of your RV, I am not sure a class b is the right choice in any case. Most of us who buy class b's are looking for vehicles that are easy to travel in and provide a comfortable base camp for exploration.

I am not sure I would draw any conclusions based on internet forums. The folks that post here simply don't represent a cross-section of users. A lot of people wouldn't even know this forum existed if they hadn't had a problem or needed help. And, frankly, they are attractive to chronic complainers looking for sympathetic ear and support for their complaints. Fewer people come to discuss their satisfaction and lack of problems.

As for Hymer's, I would think if you are a DIY type, they would be pretty good buys. They are nicely designed with good basic components that mostly have manufacturer warranties. So even in the unlikely event that Hymer disappears permanently, most parts won't be a problem. It seems like the lithium battery systems require some pampering, but the AGM batteries are pretty robust. Of course, any battery system will fail if you abuse it. But that is true of generators as well I think. There aren't many RV's that are turn the key and go the way normal motor vehicles are.
Old 05-21-2019, 05:10 AM   #156

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrym51 View Post
i have the GU on my zion but with the standard tppl AGM battery. I wanted nothing to do with an onan. i love the fact that we can run the inverter for coffee maker- or run the microwave albeit for shorter times or idle the engine for longer. I would not sleep the generator running.

However in the scenario You describe-you would be better with leaving generator running for ac for your pet-

However i also find leaving a noisy generator runnning-for other people to be forced to listen to a 'rudely issue' if used in that situation.

You could trade in fro an ECO800 which is what you probably should have gotten in first place.
Gerry, believe it or not, I just read your old reply to me. I am not proficient or active on this site. We bought the Verstile 170 because we want the short wheel base, and it won't accomodate more than the 2 Eko modules we got. It does not solve the "reliable AC for our dog" issue. I mount a 3.5 kw genset ( in an aluminum gen box ) on a swing-away hitch to run the AC with more confidence. The whole lithium battery / Ekotrek / UG concept failed and we made a mistake believing Jim Hammill. We were naive and trusting.
Beanbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 12:18 PM   #157
Platinum Member

This forum represents about 2% of all RVers (Class B) and Hymer’s lithium problems are probably a minor fraction of that 2%. Keep it in perspective. Others are successful in managing lithium batteries and Class Bers by nature of their RV use, the need for efficient use of space and weight, and travel habits are spearheading the use of lithium batteries.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 12:38 PM   #158
Platinum Member

I'm curious whether you can have the dashboard ac turned on when volt start kicks in. That might work to prevent the ac from kicking in while charging and creating a surge that shut down the inverter.
Old 05-21-2019, 01:04 PM   #159
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossWilliams View Post
I'm curious whether you can have the dashboard ac turned on when volt start kicks in. That might work to prevent the ac from kicking in while charging and creating a surge that shut down the inverter.

That may be more the vehicle system than the Voltstart. I would think that if the AC was on when you shut the van off, and the van system restarts in the condition it was shut off in, the dash air should come on when started. I don't know if any of the now totally computer controlled systems disable the AC at each start or not. None of our 3 vehicles do, but they are are older, 2009 Honda, 2007 Chevy van, 1996 Buick, so they would all have the dash air be on when started if that is how they were shut off. The Honda and the Buick would even go back into auto temp mode if it was on when turned off, so they would go into high fan, high cool, if that is how it was when the vehicle was turned off.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote