Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2019, 03:11 PM   #1

Default Roadtrek, Number 49, 40 amps, fuse is blowing in a 2003 Chevrolet express 3500

Hi

Seeking help

My 2003 Roadtrek 200, Chevrolet express 3500 has blown a fuse (3 times) making the vehicle impossible to start. There is no action when I turn the ignition switch except for the ordinary show of indicator lights.

Chevrolet Express - fuse box - engine compartment

The no 49 fuse, 40 amps, labelled « Ignition A ». Located in the engine compartment fuse box will blow making it impossible to start the engine. This fuse passes true a relay an is eventually connected to the solenoid of the starter motor.

First event was in October 2018, then 2 weeks ago, and last, this pass Sunday. Very unnerving not being sure your engine will start, makes using the vehicle very risk to take anywhere.

Thanks,

Michel Charlebois
Rigaud, QC
2003 Roadtrek 200, 2003 Chevrolet Express 3500
Chukwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 03:52 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chukwood View Post
Hi

Seeking help

My 2003 Roadtrek 200, Chevrolet express 3500 has blown a fuse (3 times) making the vehicle impossible to start. There is no action when I turn the ignition switch except for the ordinary show of indicator lights.

Chevrolet Express - fuse box - engine compartment

The no 49 fuse, 40 amps, labelled « Ignition A ». Located in the engine compartment fuse box will blow making it impossible to start the engine. This fuse passes true a relay an is eventually connected to the solenoid of the starter motor.

First event was in October 2018, then 2 weeks ago, and last, this pass Sunday. Very unnerving not being sure your engine will start, makes using the vehicle very risk to take anywhere.

Thanks,

Michel Charlebois
Rigaud, QC

I think you really need to get an ammeter on it to see how much power is being used. I would guess you are over 40 amps but not huge because it lasts a while. Most likely suspect would be the coil of the starter solenoid which could be because of a bad solenoid, or sticky engagement mechanism that moves the starter gear into place (Bendix).
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 06:08 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Another possibility would be an intermittent short that is getting more prevalent from potentially rubbing against a ground, baring more wire.
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 09:53 PM   #4

Default Update

Hi,

Finally resolve the burning no 49 fuse, after, 1 garage and 1 auto-electric shop had a look at it.

An impaled wire feeding the starter solenoid was intermittently making electrical contact with the chassis, under hood, right side, close to the starter.

After a month without my rig, kind of a relief, that the problem is solved.

Thanks for the help.

Michel Charlebois

Rigaud, QC

Chukwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 01:54 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chukwood View Post
Hi,

Finally resolve the burning no 49 fuse, after, 1 garage and 1 auto-electric shop had a look at it.

An impaled wire feeding the starter solenoid was intermittently making electrical contact with the chassis, under hood, right side, close to the starter.

After a month without my rig, kind of a relief, that the problem is solved.

Thanks for the help.

Michel Charlebois

Rigaud, QC

Michael, welcome to the forum!

And thanks for posting your resolution. Not everyone does this. It adds to the knowledge base of this forum.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote