Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2017, 08:02 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default RoadTrek Porch Light

Has anyone that has an RT with the useless porch light, removed it or opened it up?
Mine is riveted in place. I want to temporarily move it to see if I can access the wiring for a useful LED light that would be mounted just to the rear of the OE light.
Before doing so, I wanted to see if I could get information that may be helpful.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Road Trek Porch Light 002.jpg (99.2 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg Road Trek Porch Light 003.jpg (66.4 KB, 68 views)
Deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 04:17 PM   #2
Platinum Member

I plugged in a LED replacement lamp and it has been fine.
JohnnyFry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 04:52 PM   #3
Platinum Member

I too replaced the bulb with an LED one but I would rather have replaced the whole thing with something better. But I was stymied by the way it was installed - didn't look too easy to remove. Bulb replacement was way easy.

BTW - I was able to replace the lens with an exact replacement I found on Amazon. The great thing about it was that unlike the aged yellowed one I lost the new one was crystal clear,
ManWonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 01:40 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Replacement lens

Can you send a link or give us more info?

Thanks
Old 08-18-2017, 02:28 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmai View Post
Replacement lens

Can you send a link or give us more info?

Thanks
Deco 008089-01-700 Porch Light Lens - Clear
Old 08-18-2017, 04:28 PM   #6
Gold Member

Any insight into the manufacturer of the patio light on a 2014 Roadtrek 190 Popular? Looking for possible yellow lense plug and play type replacement. Please, I have all ready called the Mothership and all I got was they are made in China... Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Patio Light Original.jpg (138.0 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg Patio Light Painted.jpg (108.9 KB, 29 views)

Blessed with way more than I deserve.
Shore-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 05:39 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Found this on eBay, looks like the correct lamp. If so, change lens with yours.

*12 VOLT 18 LED PORCH LIGHT OVAL AMBER RV BLACK EXTERIOR
Old 08-19-2017, 08:44 PM   #8
Gold Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano View Post
Found this on eBay, looks like the correct lamp. If so, change lens with yours.

*12 VOLT 18 LED PORCH LIGHT OVAL AMBER RV BLACK EXTERIOR
Looks like the identical item! Just hit enter on my terminal. I'M DOING THE HAPPY DANCE NOW!! Thank you Deano. With a 30 day return policy all I can loose is the return shipping and perhaps the bugs if it fits. Thanks again.

Best. Shorty sends...

Old 08-26-2017, 01:16 PM   #9
Gold Member

Smile

I satisfied my desire to change out the white bug and insect attracting light cover that came on my Roadtrek 190! I have never liked those white covers given their propensity for attracting annoying flying critters. No need to cut and splice as the replacement cover was the exact form, fit and function, so it was pretty much a plug and play swap. Thanks to Deano who found the cover part on e-bay, I was able to replace in less than 15 minutes. I am now considerably bug free at night and still enjoy an adequate amount of amber lighting thanks to the original LED light array. Without a doubt the white cover provided much more light, but it came with too many unwanted “visitors.”

As a side note, Cindy the proprietor at cmlsurpluscindy (e-bay user ID), is an AWESOME vendor! The original replacement cover arrived with a cracked bottom mounting notch thanks to the USPS and after one email Cindy had a replacement enroute at NO cost to me. That’s service. I think they primarily focus on surplus RV parts, but it certainly is a good asset to check before spending exorbitant costs at brick and mortar RV parts stores. My ultimate goal is to permanently add some amber rope lighting to the under carriage of BIG EDNA II to create that desired outdoor lighting effect. This is a work in progress.

Enjoy the ride! Best. Shorty sends...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Amber Light Cover.jpg (125.1 KB, 36 views)

Old 08-26-2017, 01:21 PM   #10
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shore-T View Post
I satisfied my desire to change out the white bug and insect attracting light cover that came on my Roadtrek 190!

Enjoy the ride! Best. Shorty sends...
+1

Looking nice !
Old 11-16-2017, 09:29 PM   #11

Default RT Porch Light Can be Removed

Quote:
Has anyone that has an RT with the useless porch light, removed it or opened it up?
Mine is riveted in place. I want to temporarily move it to see if I can access the wiring for a useful LED light that would be mounted just to the rear of the OE light.
Before doing so, I wanted to see if I could get information that may be helpful.
Deano -I had an issue with the bulb not making contact in the porch light socket. I have a 2005 190 Versatile with the standard chrome fixture, and it took me about 3 hours to finally get the fixture off. First, I drilled through the two rivots with 1/8 bit. Next, I put painters tape around the fours sides of the fixture to protect from scratches. Next, I used a pen knife , small flat head screw driver, small hammer and just started on one edge and carefully began trying to pry the fixture loose. It was very difficult to pry loose since the entire fixture is embedded in a clay type putty that was holding/sealing the fixture (Of course I didn't know this until I got the thing completely off). Once I was able to work a small screw driver in behind the fixture I then gently worked my way all around to loosen and pry and hammer and loosen and pry and hammer. It was a real pain. I guess RT embeds these things in the putty to prevent leaks, but a rubber gasket seal with screws to hold the fixture in place would have been much easier to work with.

I am thinking of putting a different light up now that I have the old one off. Need to find one that goes up with screws and has a gasket to seal it.

Good luck with your efforts to get yours off.
stevenscharlese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 03:38 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Hobotech on YouTube replaced his porch light recently on his old 190 Popular
Old 11-19-2017, 12:41 PM   #13
Gold Member

Default Porch Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManWonder View Post
Hobotech on YouTube replaced his porch light recently on his old 190 Popular
Hello I think our porch lights are different. I replaced my original white lens cover on my 2014 190P with the identical item but with a yellow lens cover instead. Purchased it on line, see post #8 in this thread for vendor info. If interested I can send you mounting and connect jpegs as well. Let me know. See attached jpeg. Best. Shorty sends...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Amber Light Cover.jpg (125.1 KB, 22 views)

Old 11-19-2017, 01:06 PM   #14
Gold Member

Default Oval Amber Light Fixture

Internal mount views provided if you decide to go this route. I also painted the top white portion of the mount black to match other items on my vehicle. I checked with the vendor off of the hotlink on post # 8 and there are 8 available for sale. I am not affiliated in any way shape or form with the vendor. Your results may vary. Best. Shorty sends...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Slide1.JPG (161.1 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg Slide2.JPG (173.5 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg Slide3.JPG (144.1 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg Amber Patio Light Cover.jpg (74.2 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Light Fixture Measurements.jpg (22.9 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg Amber Light Cover.jpg (125.1 KB, 20 views)

Old 04-21-2018, 12:50 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenscharlese View Post
Deano -I had an issue with the bulb not making contact in the porch light socket. I have a 2005 190 Versatile with the standard chrome fixture, and it took me about 3 hours to finally get the fixture off. First, I drilled through the two rivots with 1/8 bit. Next, I put painters tape around the fours sides of the fixture to protect from scratches. Next, I used a pen knife , small flat head screw driver, small hammer and just started on one edge and carefully began trying to pry the fixture loose. It was very difficult to pry loose since the entire fixture is embedded in a clay type putty that was holding/sealing the fixture (Of course I didn't know this until I got the thing completely off). Once I was able to work a small screw driver in behind the fixture I then gently worked my way all around to loosen and pry and hammer and loosen and pry and hammer. It was a real pain. I guess RT embeds these things in the putty to prevent leaks, but a rubber gasket seal with screws to hold the fixture in place would have been much easier to work with.

I am thinking of putting a different light up now that I have the old one off. Need to find one that goes up with screws and has a gasket to seal it.

Good luck with your efforts to get yours off.
Steven, was wondering if you were able to find a suitable replacement for your porch light frame you removed? I have the exact same setup on my 2000 RT versatile 200 and will likely have to remove the entire chrome socket and replace it. Thanks
bkhundley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 10:52 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Well I finally tackled removing the OE porch light to access the wires for a new LED strip light. As stated above, it was a bear to remove. The LED is aimed down 45 degrees aiming the light where I want it. The sellers claim 800 lumens and I will say it is way brighter then the 15 candle power OE useless lamp. I disconnected the OE but replaced it to fill the hole.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-LED-Por...item41e16a77a7
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Porch light 003.jpg (128.1 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg Porch light 001.jpg (124.7 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg Porch light 002.jpg (129.7 KB, 35 views)
Old 10-27-2020, 03:16 PM   #17

Quote:
I have a 1995 roadtrek 170P and can't find where the switch is located for this outside porch light. Any ideas
70fit2adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 10:35 PM   #18
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70fit2adventure View Post
I have a 1995 roadtrek 170P and can't find where the switch is located for this outside porch light. Any ideas

Welcome to the forum 70!

I'm sure some 170 owners will be along with your answer.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 10:38 PM   #19
Platinum Member

I have a 2001 190 Popular. My outside light switch is right next to the water pump switch. It is not marked or labeled.
Old 10-27-2020, 11:32 PM   #20
Platinum Member

On my 05 210 it is next to the door frame a few inches from the top of the door.