Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2018, 08:15 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Roadtrek Simplicity - dead house battery

Today I tried to turn on the battery and nothing... I drove the RV as it has the underhood thing.. still nothing. I connected to shore power .. still noting so now what? I believe it is a 100W AGM battery unt=der the chassy. Please help as I wanted to take the RV from Santa Barbara to Fort Bliss to see my son.
Whynot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 08:22 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whynot View Post
Today I tried to turn on the battery and nothing... I drove the RV as it has the underhood thing.. still nothing. I connected to shore power .. still noting so now what? I believe it is a 100W AGM battery unt=der the chassy. Please help as I wanted to take the RV from Santa Barbara to Fort Bliss to see my son.

Is this a lithium battery unit with the single AGM battery?

If so, and the AGM is dead, there will be no voltage seen by the UHG or the shore power, so they won't initiate charging.

You can hook up another battery parallel to the AGM to get charging started, use an old school fixed voltage battery charger, or even jump the coach battery from the vehicle or another vehicle. Once there is voltage on the battery from a source, the UHG and shore power should both start charging. Probably easiest to use the shore charger first to get some charge in the AGM once you get it initiallized, and once you have some charge run the engine or go for a drive to make sure the UHG also starts up to finish the charging.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 08:34 PM   #3
Bronze Member

Thank you, will try the classical charge teh battery by itself and will see where we go from there. (AGM battery buy the way)

Hope that by the time I need it today I can least charge it enough so shore power can compete for some chare before the long drive to Texas...
Old 08-31-2018, 10:01 PM   #4
Bronze Member

If I connect a battery charger to the poles of the battery which are not used , it should still work , correct ?
Old 09-01-2018, 01:05 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
If I connect a battery charger to the poles of the battery which are not used , it should still work , correct ?

I assume you are talking about the threaded studs on the battery post where the cables connect? If so, yes, they are just like going to the battery post.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 12:26 PM   #6
Silver Member

Good luck. You would be well served by replacing the battery. 'till then, check the temperature doesn't get high while charging. any time it is charging.
Sehc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 05:14 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Default What year is your vehicle?

Quote:
Did you purchase it new?? Year?? Warranty?
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 07:04 PM   #8
Bronze Member

All worked out well. I connected a battery charger to the battery directly, after an hour or so I was able to turn on the battery connect switch, than connect to shore power . Trip was successful.
Old 04-25-2019, 05:27 PM   #9
Bronze Member

Default Portabel Solar Charger

I have a portable (suitcase) solar panel with its own charge controller etc.

Can I connect this directly to the battery to charge the battery directly?

If the battery switch is on and lightly draw some power should this still be OK?

Since the setup has its own charge controller I believe this should be OK but I do not pretend to be an expert so hopefully some expert will chime in.
Old 11-01-2019, 03:39 PM   #10
Bronze Member

Default Type and specifics of Simplicity House Battery

Does anybody know what are the specifics of the roadtrek simplicity ( 2018 ) house battery (power etc.)?
Old 11-01-2019, 04:54 PM   #11
Platinum Member

What information are you looking for? Most seem to have arrived at the dealers with a Group 27 or Group 31 Deka battery. That is about 100 amp hours... give or take.

It should have a 2000 watt inverter.

An underhood generator was an option.

(Mine has that plus I had 270 w of solar added... along with a second battery)
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 05:50 PM   #12
Bronze Member

Thank you, I do have the UHG. I need to change the battery itself. I wanted to pick up the battery so when I take it off I can just put the new one in.
Old 11-01-2019, 08:18 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
Thank you, I do have the UHG. I need to change the battery itself. I wanted to pick up the battery so when I take it off I can just put the new one in.
Just something to keep in mind, you will have to return the old battery to the store for recycling and core charge refund.

Six of one, half dozen of the other...
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 03:09 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Whatever battery you have in there, I would replace it with a group 31 (which is the largest that will fit in the box)... a Lifeline or Trojan are the two most recommended.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 10:19 PM   #15
Bronze Member

I was able to trigger the battery connect switch (by connecting a charger directly to the battery) and using shore power I charged the battery. Certainly will need to look into increasing the capacity (+1 ) and adding some Solar charging so between uses the battery would be kep topped off.