Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2019, 03:15 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Roadtrek Solar Controller Replacement Programming

The solar controller on my 2018 SS Agile is defective and needs to be replaced. I'm looking for information on how to replace it and how to program it. The dealer said that without Roadtrek support they cannot replace the controller.
arvitrekking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 03:30 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvitrekking View Post
The solar controller on my 2018 SS Agile is defective and needs to be replaced. I'm looking for information on how to replace it and how to program it. The dealer said that without Roadtrek support they cannot replace the controller.
Which one is it? The Tracer has generally been trouble free...
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 05:57 PM   #3
Bronze Member

Tracer 3125BN. It's dead. Maybe some other component in the system took it out. Voltage at the battery terminals match the battery output. Voltage from the panels is around 22 volts on a sunny winter day up here in Michigan. No lights on the controller on the battery side or the panel side of the controller.
Old 03-01-2019, 06:15 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Tracer 3125BN. It's dead. Maybe some other component in the system took it out. Voltage at the battery terminals match the battery output. Voltage from the panels is around 22 volts on a sunny winter day up here in Michigan. No lights on the controller on the battery side or the panel side of the controller.

We have heard a lot of stuff about making sure the solar controllers don't see full panel voltages when the controller is reconnected to shut off or just reconnected batteries. I don't ever recall a proven case of that taking out a controller, but it does make some sense and many of us provide ways around that happening in our systems. Could that chain of events have happened to yours somehow?
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 12:13 AM   #5
Bronze Member

No I don’t think so. The system was working fine on our maiden trip. The next time we went out for a road trip it wasn’t working.
Old 03-02-2019, 12:24 AM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
No I don’t think so. The system was working fine on our maiden trip. The next time we went out for a road trip it wasn’t working.

Is there a fuse for the controller, there should be somewhere, I would think.

You should have 12v at the battery connections of the controller all the time.
Old 03-02-2019, 12:30 AM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
Is there a fuse for the controller, there should be somewhere, I would think.

You should have 12v at the battery connections of the controller all the time.
The manual for the Tracer is readily available at this website...

https://www.epsolarpv.com
Old 03-02-2019, 12:32 AM   #8
Bronze Member

Battery side of controller has battery voltage. 13 or so depending on charge. Voltage from panels is about 22 with sun on them.
Old 03-02-2019, 12:37 AM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Battery side of controller has battery voltage. 13 or so depending on charge. Voltage from panels is about 22 with sun on them.

It certainly does sound dead. With no warranty stuff going on, you could also replace it with any controller of your choice, and not have to try to get Roadtrek settings and such. They alll should wire up the same, and there are some good units out there.
Old 03-02-2019, 12:45 AM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Tracer 3125BN. It's dead.
I googled that model and it seems like you can buy it new. Can it be swapped out with a new one?
@Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 01:14 AM   #11
Bronze Member

It doesn't appear to be anything special.

Perhaps check if it has a "load" output feeding the starter battery AND an output feeding the auxiliary battery.

If it has both of these outputs in use, then just buy a solar charge controller that has both outputs. Some do, some don't.

I am assuming that your RV has just the 2 each x 6 volt AGM house batteries and not the E Trek power package?

Anyone who installs solar panels on RVs or a marine electrician should be able to easily program a solar charge controller. It might be worth letting them pick the controller though.

I know for me it is a lot easier to keep using the same controllers that I regularly do. I actually have a device that looks like a TV remote control. I can program in the settings for a configuration and just keep using it with one button push. Saves a bunch of time for me vs going through menus each time.
Old 03-02-2019, 01:21 AM   #12
Bronze Member

Any recommendations?
My guess is that this was a defective unit out of the factory that made the controller. Cold solder joint solder Contamination rolling around. Something internal shorted it out. Unless I got an intermittent issue in my wiring on the battery side or the solar panel side.
Old 03-02-2019, 01:41 AM   #13
Bronze Member

Yes the unit has the evotrek system with volt start . 300w solar, 400amp lithium and the two 6v AGM.
The controller has one set of wire hooks to Batt and one set to PV. I hope the image comes through.
Old 03-02-2019, 03:19 AM   #14
Platinum Member

I don't see any image on your last post.

My general advice is buy an exact replacement to avoid any unforeseen conflict with the Ecotrek system. Exact swap is always the easiest.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 03:43 AM   #15
Bronze Member

That is probably best to use the same unit. I’ll have to be best guess as to the program settings in the controller. Reading through the Tracer manual it looks mostly straight forward.
Old 03-02-2019, 03:52 AM   #16
Platinum Member

Quote:
That is probably best to use the same unit. I’ll have to be best guess as to the program settings in the controller. Reading through the Tracer manual it looks mostly straight forward.
The load terminals are never used in the RT installations, just the four cables you have. You should get the display for it if you want to get better info on what is happening with the charge current.

https://www.amazon.com/Controller-Di...gateway&sr=8-3
Old 03-02-2019, 12:32 PM   #17
Platinum Member

Quote:
If you join the Roadtrek and Hymer Owners Group on Facebook you can get info on the charger settings from other owners. The settings have changed over time as the Ecotreks have evolved.
Old 03-02-2019, 12:39 PM   #18
Platinum Member

Quote:
I notice you are in Michigan, who is your dealer?

The dealer in Grand Rapids used to be a good place for RT service but I don’t know if that’s changed since it was bought out by Camping World. The dealer in Auburn Hills is pretty poor for service from my experience.
Old 03-02-2019, 01:19 PM   #19
Bronze Member

Default Dealer

My rig is currently at Camping World in Grand Rapids. I’m picking it up Monday to do the repair myself. They really tried to help me out. With RT going bankrupt and no support from them they gave up. I will have to pay $500 for an unrelated repair that would have been covered under warranty had RT not gone under.
The dealer in Auburn Hills is the opposite of helpful. I’ve had limited experience with them. However, it was enough for me to drive over an hour further to go to Camping world.
I bought the MT50 and will most likely order a new Tracer unit. However, I will research other units first.
I will look into them two Facebook groups mentioned in another reply.
Tom
Old 03-02-2019, 01:30 PM   #20
Platinum Member

Quote:
My rig is currently at Camping World in Grand Rapids. I’m picking it up Monday to do the repair myself. They really tried to help me out. With RT going bankrupt and no support from them they gave up. I will have to pay $500 for an unrelated repair that would have been covered under warranty had RT not gone under.
The dealer in Auburn Hills is the opposite of helpful. I’ve had limited experience with them. However, it was enough for me to drive over an hour further to go to Camping world.
I bought the MT50 and will most likely order a new Tracer unit. However, I will research other units first.
I will look into them two Facebook groups mentioned in another reply.
Tom
It is actually one Facebook group but I typed the name wrong

Roadtrek & Hymer Owners Group

Is the group name

Tags
programming, solar controller, ss agile