Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2019, 09:51 AM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Roadtrek Zion SRT - electrical?

I own a Roadtrek 2018 Zion SRT. I had to take it to the Dodge dealer because an alert light on the dash came on -- the odometer kept flashing and the mirrors wouldn't retract. The dealer replaced a computer module, but then said when he did "the van shorted out." He said he could reinstall the old module and then I would have electrical power in the outlets, but the alert light would flash on the dash, or I could keep the new module and take the van to a Roadtrek dealer. He said that there was a problem with the way Roadtrek had wired the van. There was a short in the 'harness'. He showed me where his technician had been working -- the wiring by the passenger door. They had unscrewed the covering to expose the wires. The technician had left unplugged one connection to avoid shorting out the van. I requested that they put everything back in place. They did, but said they would still leave the suspicious connection unplugged.

But even more curious is that when I returned home I checked the microwave, ac, refrigerator, and lights -- they all came on. (I thought I had checked the microwave at the dealer -- tried to set the time. But it kept clicking off. I'm embarrassed to say 'I thought I set the time', but maybe I was panicking and wasn't doing it correctly.) Anyway, even though the dealer left one of the connections unplugged, all the appliances appear to work. I checked the outlets (not the 20v) and they seem to work. I'm running all this off the batteries.

I have an appointment in mid June with my Roadtrek dealer, but has anyone else experienced this problem? Do you think I can hook up to shore power without damaging my van?
Old 04-28-2019, 11:17 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Does your Zion have Voltstart remote starting?

My guess is that plugging into shore power would be OK because it appears that the inverter is working correctly if it can power the air conditioner. The inverter either uses 12V DC or it allows 110V shore power to pass through.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 11:56 AM   #3
Platinum Member

A van that has a second, stand alone, alternator AKA engine generator should really not have very much, if any, connections between the van wiring and coach wiring other than maybe running lights on the roof and even though they are added by Roadtrek they are still only on the van wiring not the coach. Offhand, I can't think of any that would be needed. That would certainly go along with the "shorted out" comment as that is what would be needed to get a connection between the two. and Roadtrek appears to run a lot of the wiring right with the van original wiring.
Of course, the original van wiring may have been damaged during the conversion and could be shorting within itself of the body of the van.
Whatever it may may be, this could be really tough for anyone to find as so much of the wiring is now hidden by the conversion.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 09:25 AM   #4
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo View Post
Does your Zion have Voltstart remote starting?

My guess is that plugging into shore power would be OK because it appears that the inverter is working correctly if it can power the air conditioner. The inverter either uses 12V DC or it allows 110V shore power to pass through.
My Zion SRT does have Voltstart.
Reiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 09:32 AM   #5
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
A van that has a second, stand alone, alternator AKA engine generator should really not have very much, if any, connections between the van wiring and coach wiring other than maybe running lights on the roof and even though they are added by Roadtrek they are still only on the van wiring not the coach. Offhand, I can't think of any that would be needed. That would certainly go along with the "shorted out" comment as that is what would be needed to get a connection between the two. and Roadtrek appears to run a lot of the wiring right with the van original wiring.
Of course, the original van wiring may have been damaged during the conversion and could be shorting within itself of the body of the van.
Whatever it may may be, this could be really tough for anyone to find as so much of the wiring is now hidden by the conversion.
I'm really inept about all this mechanical 'stuff'. Mostly what I got from your advice is that my van has a really, really complicated problem and it will take somebody really knowledgeable about Roadtreks to fix.
Old 05-05-2019, 07:43 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie View Post
I own a Roadtrek 2018 Zion SRT. I had to take it to the Dodge dealer because an alert light on the dash came on -- the odometer kept flashing and the mirrors wouldn't retract. ____
This webpage will take you to the appropriate solution. https://sites.google.com/view/suiet-...ter?authuser=0

BTW: I strongly recommend disconnecting CAMbus before a RAM firmware is updated. The shorted system was more likely a failed firmware update. Voltstart can interact with the burn process.
ContinuousImprovement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 09:09 AM   #7
Bronze Member

Thanks, Continuous. This sounds like the problem I'm having, but I confess a skim of the article you referenced -- the solution seemed a real challenge to my abilities. I'm going to have to read through it much more slowly.

Since posting the problem on this forum, I've contacted the Dodge dealer to get specifics. He never turned on the batteries in the coach, just came to the conclusion that there was no power in the coach. What he meant by a 'fuse blowing' was a fuse in the dash that he replaced.
Old 05-06-2019, 01:43 PM   #8
Platinum Member

It's my writing style, not the task, that is intimidating. Remove the console fuse box cover and unplug the big red plug. Now go back to RAM and tell them to fix the blinking Odometer.
ContinuousImprovement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 09:41 AM   #9
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContinuousImprovement View Post
It's my writing style, not the task, that is intimidating. Remove the console fuse box cover and unplug the big red plug. Now go back to RAM and tell them to fix the blinking Odometer.
Thanks again. I have an appointment with the Roadtrek dealer. I think I can explain the problem (I'll bring that article). If (when) they tell me the problem is Dodge's responsibility, I can return to Dodge with more ammunition. This is going to sound so weak and whiney (especially in light of the serious technical tone of this forum), but my last dealing with Dodge was unpleasant and I want to give myself time to 'screw my courage to a sticking point.' But thank you. I think I now have a better understanding of what the problem is and don't feel quite so helpless.