Old 12-05-2017, 06:23 PM   #11
BBQ
Platinum Member

The Instant Pot is very energy efficient.

The internal thermostat is set at 118C (244F).
It will turn itself On/Off (modulate) to maintain the optimal temperature/pressure while cooking.

ie nothing is wasted in the form of escaping steam.

Old 12-05-2017, 06:43 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Thanks for all the help. I am really not in favor of the Insta-Pot, mainly because it is pressurized....I can see it now, ha!! I read all the inputs and told my wife I would feel a lot better about the crockpot and the electric issue.....she agreed. The Insta-Pot is the rave of the RV'ers, and a whole lot of other foks; understand over the Black Friday Sales, something in the neighborhood of 2M were sold. Wonder what next year will bring! Many years ago, when people used the pressure cooker on the stove - a friends mom forgot hers.......crockpot it is! Ron

Old 12-05-2017, 07:51 PM   #13
BBQ
Platinum Member

Not trying to persuade you... just stating the fact.

The Instant Pot is built to the pressure cooker industry safety standard ANSI/UL-136.

As part of the certification process, the Instant Pot is designed and tested to 5 times the operating pressure.
Old 12-05-2017, 11:28 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Thanks BBQ. I am going to keep the info close-held. If my wife says something again - I will say I agree.....and she wins, ha! Ron
Old 12-06-2017, 12:15 AM   #15
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron J. Moore View Post
Thanks BBQ. I am going to keep the info close-held. If my wife says something again - I will say I agree.....and she wins, ha! Ron

Old 01-12-2018, 03:53 PM   #16

Hi...as per my knowledge it tend to not give full power to a lot of things, but a cooker should be all resistive and be OK. The inverter usually have quite a bit extra capacity for shorter times, so startup surge should also get by. You will probably be using about 75 amps or more, though, if the 700 watt rating of the cooker is correct.
NealXu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 11:10 PM   #17
Platinum Member

I used my IP for the first time in the van this week. I was very impressed. Its power usage is a lot less than you'd think. 5-10 minutes at ~550W to get up to temperature, then only occasional blips to maintain. The 700W is for sauté, not pressure cooking. It was very gentle on our 200Ah of battery. I started a thread in the Kitchen forum detailing how I exhaust the steam.

I would, however, be very reluctant to subject its electronics to MSW.
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 04:59 PM   #18
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post

The Instant Pot is very energy efficient.

The internal thermostat is set at 118C (244F).
It will turn itself On/Off (modulate) to maintain the optimal temperature/pressure while cooking.

ie nothing is wasted in the form of escaping steam.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsNomer View Post
I used my IP for the first time in the van this week. I was very impressed. Its power usage is a lot less than you'd think. 5-10 minutes at ~550W to get up to temperature, then only occasional blips to maintain. The 700W is for sauté, not pressure cooking. It was very gentle on our 200Ah of battery. I started a thread in the Kitchen forum detailing how I exhaust the steam.

I would, however, be very reluctant to subject its electronics to MSW.
These are correct. It is a very energy efficient device as when it gets to pressure, it consumes very little.
nebulight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 01:51 AM   #19
Platinum Member

My concern with the TrippLite would be the digital control module on the Instant pot. I have looked at the same thing with my 210P with TrippLite. Wattage wise it is at the edge of its capacity and certainly the battery capacity is probably inadequate for operation on the road as the alternator charging probably would not keep up with the load. The biggerst concern however, remains with the modified sine wave and the digital portion of the device
...it can’t even run my electric blankei for crying out loud!

JohnnyFry is offline   Reply With Quote