Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-05-2017, 02:45 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default RT Inverter Upgrade

My wife has suggested getting the Insta-Pot, and she could use it in the RT and home. I am looking at this with a 750 W Inverter. I have read the Pot runs at 700W, but somehow I question this; if it did, I am under, but real close to max out. I really don't want to go to having a major electrical upgrade to accommodate this one item....we can damn well do without it. Can I ask your recommendations - I know enough to get into trouble, but not over a Pot!. Ron
Old 12-05-2017, 02:59 AM   #2
Platinum Member

I assume you have enough battery capacity, for 1hr cooking you will need 130Ah lead acid battery just to cook and a way to recharge. https://www.wholesalesolar.com/99494...-150ah-battery
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 03:04 AM   #3
Platinum Member

The RT likely has the Tripplite inverter? If so it is a modified sine wave. They tend to not give full power to a lot of things, but a cooker should be all resistive and be OK. The inverter usually have quite a bit extra capacity for shorter times, so startup surge should also get by. You will probably be using about 75 amps or more, though, if the 700 watt rating of the cooker is correct. They often exaggerate a bit, so could be less.

At near full load, it will be noisy and fan running wide open, I think, so make sure all the ventilation is clear.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 11:57 AM   #4
Platinum Member

As always, thanks for the assistance. The Brochure shows 2 6V AGM 2400V Batteries...and I have four in this one - remember seeing a Decal saying something about solar ready. Due to health, we don't stay out long, so I wasn't concerned about solar package. The wife just thought it nice to be able to stop and "cook up" a meal when we are out and running. Ron
Old 12-05-2017, 12:06 PM   #5
Platinum Member

4 house batteries should be around 400ah capacity - very nice

I'll try to add to the great points already posted:

1. There would be no problem running it while plugged in or if on generator power.
2. The Insta Pot initial heavier power consumption phase (to get hot) could be done while plugged in (before leaving campsite for example), or on generator, or with the engine running + inverter.
3. The RV Tripp-Lite unit's Overpower feature is up to 150% of rated power for up 1 hour - something like 1100 watts on the 750 watt RV inverter unit.
4. The modified sine wave output of the Tripp Lite might cause the Insta Pot clock / timer to be wrong so you have to look at your watch to get accurate cooking times.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 12:41 PM   #6
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron J. Moore View Post
My wife has suggested getting the Insta-Pot, and she could use it in the RT and home. I am looking at this with a 750 W Inverter. I have read the Pot runs at 700W, but somehow I question this; if it did, I am under, but real close to max out. I really don't want to go to having a major electrical upgrade to accommodate this one item....we can damn well do without it. Can I ask your recommendations - I know enough to get into trouble, but not over a Pot!. Ron

The 3 qt model is 700w.
That's the one most RVer use.

You are pushing it with a 750w inverter. (is that continuous? or max?)
you will need at least a 1000w inverter to be on the safe side.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg ip w.JPG (19.7 KB, 135 views)
Old 12-05-2017, 12:45 PM   #7
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
The RT likely has the Tripplite inverter? If so it is a modified sine wave. They tend to not give full power to a lot of things, but a cooker should be all resistive and be OK....

This is more than a resistive device -- it is a computer controlled pressure cooker.

https://instantpot.com/

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 71l1LsEpOaL._SY355_.jpg (21.7 KB, 2 views)
Old 12-05-2017, 01:16 PM   #8
Platinum Member

If it has electronic controls in it, there is a very good chance the Tripplite will mess it all up. It very well could do a safety shutdown of the cooker because of the pressure cooker part of it.

I was thinking it was a crockpot type cooker, which folks us all the time when driving in their vans, but they aren't pressure and not electronic controls.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 01:54 PM   #9
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
If it has electronic controls in it, there is a very good chance the Tripplite will mess it all up. It very well could do a safety shutdown of the cooker because of the pressure cooker part of it.

I was thinking it was a crockpot type cooker, which folks us all the time when driving in their vans, but they aren't pressure and not electronic controls.

FYI... most of the new crockpot in the market have electronic controls now.
It is not easy to find one with the old timer knobs.

Old 12-05-2017, 02:29 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:

The Instant Pot is the current rage in RVing. Several people I know have gotten them and we are considering the 3 qt. Instant Pot for our travels. It seems to do just about everything and being a pressure cooker as well it uses less energy just because cooking time is less. It is all electronically controlled. With a 2800w pure sine wave inverter and 800ah lithium ion battery bank the energy use is inconsequential.

We currently use a crock pot with simple dial controls. It is 120VAC and use it as a slow cooker. Often times (twice on our last trip) we prepared stew like pots or pork for shredded BBQ and slow cooked it all day by placing and bracing in the galley sink. The meal is ready on stopping at the end of the day. We did that with our former Great West Van because the TV and dedicated inverter with outlet for it was accessible at the galley. In our Advanced RV every 120vac outlet is hot all the time. With either van, while driving, charging input outstripped the energy use for the crock pot.

2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 06:23 PM   #11
BBQ
Platinum Member

The Instant Pot is very energy efficient.

The internal thermostat is set at 118C (244F).
It will turn itself On/Off (modulate) to maintain the optimal temperature/pressure while cooking.

ie nothing is wasted in the form of escaping steam.
Old 12-05-2017, 06:43 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Thanks for all the help. I am really not in favor of the Insta-Pot, mainly because it is pressurized....I can see it now, ha!! I read all the inputs and told my wife I would feel a lot better about the crockpot and the electric issue.....she agreed. The Insta-Pot is the rave of the RV'ers, and a whole lot of other foks; understand over the Black Friday Sales, something in the neighborhood of 2M were sold. Wonder what next year will bring! Many years ago, when people used the pressure cooker on the stove - a friends mom forgot hers.......crockpot it is! Ron
Old 12-05-2017, 07:51 PM   #13
BBQ
Platinum Member

Not trying to persuade you... just stating the fact.

The Instant Pot is built to the pressure cooker industry safety standard ANSI/UL-136.

As part of the certification process, the Instant Pot is designed and tested to 5 times the operating pressure.
Old 12-05-2017, 11:28 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Thanks BBQ. I am going to keep the info close-held. If my wife says something again - I will say I agree.....and she wins, ha! Ron
Old 12-06-2017, 12:15 AM   #15
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron J. Moore View Post
Thanks BBQ. I am going to keep the info close-held. If my wife says something again - I will say I agree.....and she wins, ha! Ron

Old 01-12-2018, 03:53 PM   #16

Hi...as per my knowledge it tend to not give full power to a lot of things, but a cooker should be all resistive and be OK. The inverter usually have quite a bit extra capacity for shorter times, so startup surge should also get by. You will probably be using about 75 amps or more, though, if the 700 watt rating of the cooker is correct.
NealXu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 11:10 PM   #17
Platinum Member

I used my IP for the first time in the van this week. I was very impressed. Its power usage is a lot less than you'd think. 5-10 minutes at ~550W to get up to temperature, then only occasional blips to maintain. The 700W is for sauté, not pressure cooking. It was very gentle on our 200Ah of battery. I started a thread in the Kitchen forum detailing how I exhaust the steam.

I would, however, be very reluctant to subject its electronics to MSW.
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 04:59 PM   #18
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post

The Instant Pot is very energy efficient.

The internal thermostat is set at 118C (244F).
It will turn itself On/Off (modulate) to maintain the optimal temperature/pressure while cooking.

ie nothing is wasted in the form of escaping steam.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsNomer View Post
I used my IP for the first time in the van this week. I was very impressed. Its power usage is a lot less than you'd think. 5-10 minutes at ~550W to get up to temperature, then only occasional blips to maintain. The 700W is for sauté, not pressure cooking. It was very gentle on our 200Ah of battery. I started a thread in the Kitchen forum detailing how I exhaust the steam.

I would, however, be very reluctant to subject its electronics to MSW.
These are correct. It is a very energy efficient device as when it gets to pressure, it consumes very little.
nebulight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 01:51 AM   #19
Platinum Member

My concern with the TrippLite would be the digital control module on the Instant pot. I have looked at the same thing with my 210P with TrippLite. Wattage wise it is at the edge of its capacity and certainly the battery capacity is probably inadequate for operation on the road as the alternator charging probably would not keep up with the load. The biggerst concern however, remains with the modified sine wave and the digital portion of the device
...it can’t even run my electric blankei for crying out loud!
JohnnyFry is offline   Reply With Quote