Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-31-2017, 04:02 PM   #1

Default RV Anti-Freeze

I am sure this question is only for us northerners, but does anyone know how far below zero the pink RV antifreeze is rated? I had an extra jug sitting on the floor of my garage and noticed it was pretty well frozen and slushy. It has been about -30 on some nights. I keep my RT in an unheated garage with no electric. Has anyone run into a problem and how did you deal with it....other than move.
Hart447 2000D190V
hart447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 05:23 PM   #2
Platinum Member

My experience says RV antifreeze (the pink stuff) turns to slush below 32F. Put it in your freezer and see. If it is still slush at -30 it is working.

The purpose of RV antifreeze is to keep the pipes from splitting, not to allow fluid to flow. It does not function like radiator antifreeze or even windshield washer antifreeze.
Harry
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 05:33 PM   #3
Platinum Member

I have also seen some other RV antifreeze around here (Minnesota) that is allegedly good for colder, maybe -50*F, but haven't seen if anyone tested the "slush point".
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 08:15 PM   #4
BBQ
Platinum Member

Water has the highest volume at freezing-point.
After that, as the temperature drops further, the volume shrinks again.

Slush is ok, it is harmless.
Old 01-01-2018, 12:06 AM   #5

Default RV Anti-freeze

Thanks for the thoughts....I am going with the idea that it won't freeze hard enough to do any damage. Additionally I am not sure what I could do to rectify it in this weather!!!l
hart447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 12:54 AM   #6
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
I have also seen some other RV antifreeze around here (Minnesota) that is allegedly good for colder, maybe -50*F, but haven't seen if anyone tested the "slush point".
In Southern Ontario the RV is marked for -50F as well. I have seen my turn to slush on more than one occasion, but has never been an issue in six years.

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover
Karsty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 08:59 PM   #7
Platinum Member

I got a bottle of -75 rated "splash" brand Marine and RV anti-freeze yesterday. I left it out last night in -20 and not only is it frozen solid but the bottle is bulging on the bottom. it looks just like a plastic jug of water when its frozen. Not sure what to do about it. I can return it to the store, but I am sure its not a one off. Does anyone regulate this stuff?
RossWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 12:12 AM   #8
Platinum Member

Scary. Can you push in on the sides where the bottle is bulging to determine if it's slushy or if it's rock hard.

Just hoping the flimsy bottle is much weaker than pipe walls in our rvs.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 12:47 AM   #9
Platinum Member

Problem is not that water become hard when it freeze... Problem is that, contrary to other (most?) liquids, it expends.
Old 12-19-2019, 02:31 AM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshimura View Post
Problem is not that water become hard when it freeze... Problem is that, contrary to other (most?) liquids, it expends.
That is true, but the point is that ICE does NOT expand as it gets colder--it contracts just like any solid. So, BBQ is correct: The danger point is very near freezing. After that, the colder the better.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 09:21 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
Can you push in on the sides where the bottle is bulging to determine if it's slushy or if it's rock hard.
The "Splash" brand fluid appeared to be pretty close to rock hard. I had a bottle in my RV of a different brand rated at -50 degree. It was not bulging and was slushy but I doubt it actually got to -20 below inside the RV either. My concern is the bulge, that is the thing the RV fluid is supposed to prevent.
RossWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 10:46 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Temperature dropped below 0F last nigh and I notice some antifreeze has dropped from the city water inlet. I hope there is no damage.