Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2019, 11:46 AM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Shore power plug replacement

I am considering replacing the current insert and twist shore power connector with a Smartplug (Smartplug Systems, Llc B30ASSYPB Smartplug 30 Amp Combo Kit). It is difficult to insert and twist the current connector on my 2018 Axion (poor location). I could live with it but the Smartplug looks more secure and easier to use.

Has anyone looked at or installed the Smartplug?

Just did a search (still learning the forum) for Smartplug and found previous posts.
joe33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 04:03 PM   #2
Platinum Member

I've had the Smartplug for over 4 years. It's great. Far superior than the twist kind. You can mount it blind under the back bumper for instance which I would have done knowing I was getting the Smartplug and before the hole was cut in the side. As it is you don't have to carefully line it up to insert and clamps do what the screw on flange does. The cord itself is more pliable and that is more forgiving in cold weather.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 06:23 PM   #3
Platinum Member

I installed the SmartPlug in 2013, talked to the founder as they were exploring venturing into the RV market. Their original objective was to increase reliability by increasing contacts surface areas. Shore power connections are common sources of fire in the boating industry, I don't know about RVs.

Simplicity of insertion is great, no more aligning and twisting.

I used the yellow marine cable and replace the marine plug with an RV plug, at that time they didn’t have RV cable. Since I bought a black RV cable with a blue LED power indicator on the SmartPlug end.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ZGR22132.JPG (420.7 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg ZGR22130.JPG (465.3 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg ZGR22131.JPG (437.0 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg 2-ZGR22126.JPG (371.9 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg 3-ZGR22127.JPG (376.3 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg ZGR22129.JPG (406.0 KB, 27 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf SmartPlug 30 Amp Product Dimension Details - Inches.pdf (862.3 KB, 30 views)
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 07:15 PM   #4
Bronze Member

Replaced mine with the Smart Plug, the only way to go.

2017 RT CS Adventurous.
Steve
goodtogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 08:24 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtogo View Post
Replaced mine with the Smart Plug, the only way to go.

2017 RT CS Adventurous.
Steve
Is the footprint the same, making it a trivial swap-out?
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 09:32 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
I've had the Smartplug for over 4 years. It's great. Far superior than the twist kind. You can mount it blind under the back bumper for instance which I would have done knowing I was getting the Smartplug and before the hole was cut in the side. As it is you don't have to carefully line it up to insert and clamps do what the screw on flange does. The cord itself is more pliable and that is more forgiving in cold weather.
Davydd,
I’ve never seen a shore power connection under the bumper but I like the idea. Will ARV do it that way on your next van? Have you seen an installation like that before?
Shoalbiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 09:56 PM   #7
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
Yes took out the twist outlet and installed the new smart plug. Three wires and 4 screws. RT did have solid number 10 wire it worked, but a lot nicer if stranded wire was there.

Steve
Old 03-30-2019, 09:57 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
The SmartPlug folks knew that replacement needed to be reasonably easy so 4 mounting holes pattern is standard 2.44”. See my box dimensions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Drawing final 3 30 2019.JPG (70.3 KB, 22 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf furion.pdf (903.8 KB, 17 views)
Old 03-30-2019, 10:12 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoalbiz View Post
Davydd,
I’ve never seen a shore power connection under the bumper but I like the idea. Will ARV do it that way on your next van? Have you seen an installation like that before?
This fellow from the Sprinter-Forum used the same mounting concept, same McMaster-Carr box mounted to tapped holes on the hitch but the inlet is facing down. https://sprinter-source.com/forum/sh...2&postcount=14

I allow myself to copy his images here. The box is certainly more inconspicuous if this is your objective.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2dfee7551710e44642ce783a7f163415.jpg (251.9 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg 6f3e24848ec885a7f776f10733da5129.jpg (230.4 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg 8f985bcfe72cc82d2293581060f7949f.jpg (166.8 KB, 27 views)
Old 03-30-2019, 10:35 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoalbiz View Post
Davydd,
After mine, the Advanced RV standard was to mount the Smartplug under the bumper. I didn't get it that way because they already cut the hole in the side assuming the other plug was going to be used.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 12:02 AM   #11
Bronze Member

If you leave it off you RV for service make sure you leave your smart outlet cord.

Steve
Old 03-31-2019, 05:01 PM   #12
Bronze Member

Thanks to all the replies. Looks like this is definitely the way to go.
joe33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 05:17 PM   #13
Bud
Platinum Member

What is the downside of no shore power plug on the B. If the power cord is attached to the B, just plug it into shore power. Most B's are not like that, so I suppose there must be a downside(s)?

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 06:13 PM   #14
Platinum Member

I had 30A service cable attached in my camping trailer, pulling it out was easy, going back into the box was like pushing a baby back. It also took considerable size compartment. With shore cable I can store it anywhere, winds up easily to a small package. If 15/20A service would be sufficient than attached cable should be OK.
Old 03-31-2019, 06:36 PM   #15
Platinum Member

This was published in 2011 in the boating world. Good and quick summary. I never like plugging shore power cable on my boat, it was very awkward so was tuned for a better plug, and SmartPlug surfaced.

Old 03-31-2019, 07:19 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
What is the downside of no shore power plug on the B. If the power cord is attached to the B, just plug it into shore power. Most B's are not like that, so I suppose there must be a downside(s)?

Bud

On our Roadtrek, when it had the attached shore cable, if you wanted to be able to shut the side storage area for security, bugs, mice, rain, etc, you had to fish the plug and cord through the ridiculous "mouse hole" in the wheelwell area. PITA is understatement and you got to do every time you left the campsite in the van and when you came back. We put the twist lock cord socket in the mouse hole cutout and put the plug on the existing core, and now super easy, quick and the side storage can be shut. Rolling up an unattached cord is much easier than an attached one, also, especially if it is cold out.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 10:41 PM   #17
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
On our Roadtrek, when it had the attached shore cable, if you wanted to be able to shut the side storage area for security, bugs, mice, rain, etc, you had to fish the plug and cord through the ridiculous "mouse hole" in the wheelwell area. PITA is understatement and you got to do every time you left the campsite in the van and when you came back. We put the twist lock cord socket in the mouse hole cutout and put the plug on the existing core, and now super easy, quick and the side storage can be shut. Rolling up an unattached cord is much easier than an attached one, also, especially if it is cold out.
booster, I'm feeling kind of like a dummy in that we have the same. Good, accurate points I think. You may find it interesting that in the last 12 years, I've never done anything but open the open the compartment with the power cord hanging out. I've been in some what some might call severe rain/wet conditions. I don't ever recall any water in the compartment. Still, your points are good/accurate just don't apply a lot with me. Thus the reason for the "dummy" label, burning up forum bandwidth.

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 11:39 AM   #18
Platinum Member

Good day Booster. I am considering placing a Smartplug in the mouse hole of my 2012
RT 190-Ranger for the same reasons that you refer to. The only concern I have is the mouse hole's immediate proximity to the external water connect and shower taps. Your opinion?
Sensfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 12:16 PM   #19
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensfan View Post
Good day Booster. I am considering placing a Smartplug in the mouse hole of my 2012
RT 190-Ranger for the same reasons that you refer to. The only concern I have is the mouse hole's immediate proximity to the external water connect and shower taps. Your opinion?

We have not had an issue with that on ours, since I did it a decade ago, but I think you certainly need to be aware of it. The same setup is often used on the side of the RV so sees all kinds of water. As long as you connect and disconnect the water without pressure on it there is really very little water lost with a quick disconnect connection. After getting a shower once when doing it with the pressure on you learn that quickly, I know.

That said, our water connection is rarely used anyway, and early on I extended it down a bit to make it more accessible, so it is a bit further away from the plug.

The outside faucet will either have a hose on it or if not sprays straight down out the open bottom of the area.

One thing that I think is important to consider also is protecting the outlet on the inside of the side storage area. The socket that came with our socket/plug kit was a direct mount so no box to protect it (that fact made it easy to mount though. I put a 4" PVC pipe cap over it on the inside, held to the rear of the storage area with a couple of little screw on angle tabs. I cut a notch in the edge of the cap so the cable could get through.
Old 08-19-2019, 12:54 PM   #20
Platinum Member

I found some old pix of ours on Yahoo.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0747.jpg (49.5 KB, 154 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0749.jpg (46.3 KB, 151 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0750.jpg (37.9 KB, 151 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0745.jpg (50.6 KB, 152 views)