Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2018, 08:51 PM   #41
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemlake View Post
James from the Fit RV spoke with WATT at the Pomona show. Here's a link to the blog: https://www.thefitrv.com/rv-tips/the...n-rv-near-you/

The WATT rep confirms a few new details: WATT was certified for use in April; the units for Roadtrek will be placed underneath the vans; the cells can be stacked (although there is no indication that Roadtrek will stack them); the output is dc; and there will be a remote control panel. WATT is also working on a home application that sounds interesting. It would generate 1.5 kw and use natural gas.
GEMLAKE - good info. Some may recall that Roadtrek offered the EFOY fuel cell as an option some years back. Perhaps this will work better as it uses a fuel already on most vans.

- - Mike
Old 11-02-2018, 07:29 PM   #42
Bud
Platinum Member

Que Pasa? So watt's happening?

This is November. Aren't they suppose to be for sale?

I can't find any mention of Roadtrek on the Watt website or Watt on the Roadtrek website. But I'm a genetically impaired and can't find sh*t, I can use a map though.

It 'seems' obvious to me that when $'s are unlimited, a real/actual propane fuel cell is the best conceptual solution for a/c at the moment.

Hey Advanced RV'ers in the know, what is Advanced RV's take on this since they have been the first with several technologies.

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 07:42 PM   #43
Platinum Member

Hymer is very busy unpacking.
Attached Images
File Type: png Reymonta.png (1.32 MB, 26 views)
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 08:07 PM   #44
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
Hymer is very busy unpacking.
Is this like 'back to the future'? No maybe more like..............

I really do wish them the best with this, hope it works out to be a win/win for all.
Old 12-03-2018, 08:06 PM   #45
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
Que Pasa? So watt's happening?

This is November. Aren't they suppose to be for sale?

I can't find any mention of Roadtrek on the Watt website or Watt on the Roadtrek website. But I'm a genetically impaired and can't find sh*t, I can use a map though.

It 'seems' obvious to me that when $'s are unlimited, a real/actual propane fuel cell is the best conceptual solution for a/c at the moment.

Hey Advanced RV'ers in the know, what is Advanced RV's take on this since they have been the first with several technologies.

Bud

I'm back. This is December.

Bud
Old 12-03-2018, 08:22 PM   #46
Platinum Member

Perhaps Thor is stepping up Roadtrek product release quality or they have issues.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 05:46 AM   #47
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
Bud
I don't see the main value of a 100-300 watt fuel cell to be for A/C though I realize that is what everyone is going for.

I was just in Boise, Idaho with lows in the twenties. Plugged in to a residential garage outlet I was drawing .2-.9 amps at 120 volts which would be 23-110 watts for lights, furnace and TV. A 100 watt fuel cell would be just perfect to keep the battery up on a cold night.

That works out to be 9 amps or so for 12 volts which will leave an 80AH battery pretty low by morning, the furnace being the biggest drain. Parking lot camping at 12F it was pretty low by morning. A 100 watt fuel cell would have been perfect.

That is what I see as the value of the fuel cell. Just like being plugged in but not using an electric heater or A/C.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 01:11 PM   #48
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbn7hj View Post
I don't see the main value of a 100-300 watt fuel cell to be for A/C though I realize that is what everyone is going for.

I was just in Boise, Idaho with lows in the twenties. Plugged in to a residential garage outlet I was drawing .2-.9 amps at 120 volts which would be 23-110 watts for lights, furnace and TV. A 100 watt fuel cell would be just perfect to keep the battery up on a cold night.

That works out to be 9 amps or so for 12 volts which will leave an 80AH battery pretty low by morning, the furnace being the biggest drain. Parking lot camping at 12F it was pretty low by morning. A 100 watt fuel cell would have been perfect.

That is what I see as the value of the fuel cell. Just like being plugged in but not using an electric heater or A/C.
hbn7hj, since you quoted me, I was talking about the 'Watt' 500 watt or more watts yet.

Bud
Old 02-21-2020, 02:12 PM   #49
Platinum Member

All,

While this is a long inactive thread, the discussion I have been reading related to long haul trucking might apply to our "overweight" long haul vans. In a recent posting:

Blog: Long-Haul Lorries Powered by Hydrogen or Electricity? - The Centre For Sustainable Road Freight

one person's discussion of the benefits of hydrogen vs electric powered trucks is presented. As you move around the page there are links to related topics that might also be of interest to this forum. Another forum for those into heavy road vehicles is International Forum for Road Transport Technology

Pat
MobileCabin is offline   Reply With Quote