Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2015, 12:12 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Solar Womp

I'll let you figure it out. 1250 watts solar and lots of other stuff on this Sprinter Van billed as a Mad Max van ready for Burning Man with 24/7 air conditioning and more. Advanced RV is building this. There is more on the "B"ing in an Advanced RV Facebook page.

https://m.facebook.com/solarwomp?fref=ts
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 12:42 AM   #2
Platinum Member

1250 watts won't run AC 24/7, unless it is an alternate cooling like absorption or evaporative, so there would have to be an alternated charging source, probably very large output, with a big bank of batteries to charge up and use when alternate source was off. That's my guess.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 12:51 AM   #3
Platinum Member

That's also one of the ugliest Class Bs I've ever seen, and I drive a red Travato.

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 12:56 AM   #4
Bronze Member

Default Womp

Womp has two AC units and one evaporative cooler. It was built specifically for attending Burning Man.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Womp unleashed.jpg (274.0 KB, 30 views)
classbbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 01:19 AM   #5
Platinum Member

It also has the 800ah lithium ion battery pack. The only windows on this B are the cab windows and the sliding door. It is well insulated. You'll have to follow this on Facebook. More will come. We are headed to ARV Monday for some upgrades. It may still be there but I think those were August photos.
Old 10-04-2015, 10:02 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Nothing says "counter-culture" like a $200,000, air-conditioned RV at Burning Man.

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
Old 10-04-2015, 11:16 PM   #7
Platinum Member

The pluses: I do like the A/C unit at the back window, and the fact that everything is shaded by the panels that go across the entire van. This, combined with a fan between the roof and the panels will provide some cooling.

The minuses: I'm assuming it is going to use an alternator or some form of engine power generation. This is fine, but can the Sprinter engine handle being run for hours on end in 130 degree heat, powering the multiple A/C units (four including the factory A/C)?

I understand that this van is to make a statement. If someone has the cash for a vehicle dedicated to Burning Man, more power to them.

However, if I had the money to make a vehicle whose sole purpose in life was to go to Burning Man, I'd definitely go with a class "C" because it would allow for more insulation in the walls, more space for solar, more rooftop space for air conditioners, and the ability to select building materials for the job. For example, insulated outside storage compartments.

If I were taking a class "B" to Burning Man, I would be more pragmatic -- I'd take a trailer with me, with two Honda generators on it. This way, barring any anti-generator ordinances, I'd just run the Hondas while mounted on the trailer, well away from the van, so the van isn't heated by the engines, and CO is dissipated.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 11:36 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
It also has the 800ah lithium ion battery pack. The only windows on this B are the cab windows and the sliding door. It is well insulated. You'll have to follow this on Facebook. More will come. We are headed to ARV Monday for some upgrades. It may still be there but I think those were August photos.
Davydd-what upgrades are you getting
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 12:38 AM   #9
Platinum Member

I took a look at Womp today. It is back at ARV for some upgrades and refinements. The B did make it to Burning Man in August and it performed as designed over 10 or 11 days I understand. It is heavily insulated and has just the cab windows. The swamp cooler on the roof did most of the work. The 8600 BTU compressor air conditioner mounted on the back door was not needed all the time. The inside is a party B with multiple color lighting effects. It is clearly a special purpose B for a specific function. Interestingly the Mad Max concept was not a 4x4 one would assume. The owner figured it was not needed for the use he intended.
Old 10-06-2015, 01:08 AM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrym51 View Post
Davydd-what upgrades are you getting
Last August ARV sent an email letting us ARV owners know about some complimentary upgrades. So we made it a point to stop. We were going to stop later this month but the lack of fall colors in New England and the hurricane threat made us rethink our schedule. We will head to Washington DC after this and then backtrack to New England. We spent nearly a month in Canada. Coming back through Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont most everything was still green.

They improved the refrigerator performance with more insulation, air control and cycle operation - all stuff they are currently doing.

They rewired WifiRanger for better performance.

We are having some miscellaneous work done. Most of it minor like an on off switch for the cell phone booster, relocating our towel bar in the bathroom lower, and some repairs.

I got to look at the guts of about a half dozen ARVs at various stages. The first Super high roof model was there. The air conditioner is nested in the roof at the back and is ducted. Nothing hangs from the fiberglass roof. The upper cabinets are huge. Lots of people are opting for the 4x4. Another articulated bed model went out Friday. The owners came back Sunday night and boondocked with us after a shakedown run at a state park. They came back for another day of orientation. ARV typically spends a couple of days with new owners.
Old 10-08-2015, 11:22 PM   #11
Platinum Member

I like the A/C on the back door. It means one less window, but on the other hand, it allows more room on the roof for panels.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 09:01 PM   #12
Bronze Member

Can't use that window anyway, the bathroom pretty much blocks it in the ARVs.
Old 10-12-2015, 11:57 PM   #13
Platinum Member

The only windows in Solar Womp are the front cab windows and the sliding door. The inside was designed for Burning Man partying. There is a tri-fold sofa/bed in the back. The color of the cabinets is a grey-blue and the upholstery is kind of a powder blue. A remote control operates the interior LED lighting with multi-color changing and other strobe and blinking effects. The exterior lighting on the solar panel support structure on all four sides has similar effects. This is definitely a single purpose party B to me.
Old 10-13-2015, 12:50 AM   #14
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
The only windows in Solar Womp are the front cab windows and the sliding door. The inside was designed for Burning Man partying. There is a tri-fold sofa/bed in the back. The color of the cabinets is a grey-blue and the upholstery is kind of a powder blue. A remote control operates the interior LED lighting with multi-color changing and other strobe and blinking effects. The exterior lighting on the solar panel support structure on all four sides has similar effects. This is definitely a single purpose party B to me.

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
Old 03-27-2016, 07:10 PM   #15
Platinum Member

I'm really curious about their evaporative cooler. I live and camp in dry areas. Is that what's mounted on the rear window?
SiennaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 08:13 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric1514 View Post
Just add the hookah and some throw pillows for the orgy, and you're all set for Burning Man.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 08:36 PM   #17
Platinum Member

The Solar Womp owner is active in the public Facebook group, "B"ing in an Advanced RV. If one is curious, cut to the chase and ask him. I don't know the details of how things are set up.
Old 04-04-2016, 05:19 PM   #18
Bronze Member

Did you ever get an answer to your question?
Old 04-04-2016, 09:27 PM   #19
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeronie View Post
Did you ever get an answer to your question?
There is a discussion about it going on over on the Sprinter-source.com message boards.
Old 04-05-2016, 03:25 PM   #20
Platinum Member

The Sprinter-Source Solar Womp thread starts at this link. Owner revived an old thread.
No more RV hookups ever again - Page 25 - Sprinter-Forum

Also a good separate Facebook page dedicated to Solar Womp with lots of photos is at this link.
https://www.facebook.com/solarwomp/