Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2018, 09:52 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Sprinter Starting Problems

I have been reading on F/B of Sprinter owners having to start their engines every few days to keep the battery charged. I read where some folks are purchasing the Trickle Start to handle it. What is so different in the Sprinter that mandates this? I can't imagine storing it for months....better carry a portable jump start. Thanks, Ron
Old 05-08-2018, 10:01 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron J. Moore View Post
I have been reading on F/B of Sprinter owners having to start their engines every few days to keep the battery charged. I read where some folks are purchasing the Trickle Start to handle it. What is so different in the Sprinter that mandates this? I can't imagine storing it for months....better carry a portable jump start. Thanks, Ron
Fake news. Sprinters (or at least mine) are no better or worse than other modern cars with lots of electronics. You can't go for months at a time, but every few days is nonsense. Additionally, Sprinters have a very handy ground disconnect feature (down by the accelerator pedal) if you DO have to park for months. Takes 10 seconds.

That said, I do now have a Trik-L-Start. Cheap, easy, and very effective. Well worth it if you park outside and have solar. Takes the whole issue out of the equation. Only really matters over the winter, though.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 11:31 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Thanks Avanti. Like I said, all I know is what I read from folks on F/B, and knew we have guys here who can tell me the straight scoop. Ron
Old 05-11-2018, 05:53 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
Fake news. Sprinters (or at least mine) are no better or worse than other modern cars with lots of electronics. You can't go for months at a time, but every few days is nonsense. Additionally, Sprinters have a very handy ground disconnect feature (down by the accelerator pedal) if you DO have to park for months. Takes 10 seconds.

That said, I do now have a Trik-L-Start. Cheap, easy, and very effective. Well worth it if you park outside and have solar. Takes the whole issue out of the equation. Only really matters over the winter, though.
I agree. It is not the Sprinter but the battery. I once had my battery go bad (after about 6 years of use) and I couldn't get the Sprinter diesel to jump off. Had to replace the battery before it would start. I keep a smart charger on it at all times it is in storage.
Old 05-11-2018, 06:33 PM   #5

Only time I had an issue was when I left something plugged into cigarette lighter & drained the battery. Other than that, i’ve had mine set for 2-4 or more weeks with no problem. When not in regular use, I store indoors & use a trickle charger to keep it up, but as I said, with out the charger I have still had no issues with it setting for a few weeks. My guess is people have something on or plugged in like I did, & don’t know it.
OldKansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 12:56 PM   #6
Bronze Member

Default My process

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron J. Moore View Post
I store my RS away from my home without shore power for weeks at a time and in summer have not had an issue. I make certain the coach power switch is off and no other parasitic drain is on. On occasions I pull off the ground to the battery isolator which is the biggest parasitic drain I have on my rig. If during winter or if for longer periods of time I disconnect the vehicle battery with the "switch" near the accelerator and the coach batteries with a switch I installed.
Gary Mn is offline   Reply With Quote