Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2018, 03:15 PM   #1

Default Surge protector

I was advised to purchase a surge protector for my Simplicity SRT. I would appreciate some feedback and have a few questions.
I’m not sure how many Jules and which AWG cord number is needed / recommended.
Also, I had read that when left unattended hooked up, the surge protectors sometimes get stollen. Is this a real problem? Does anyone have any ideas how to secure it?
Thanks
Fico4gapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 03:27 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fico4gapp View Post
I was advised to purchase a surge protector for my Simplicity SRT. I would appreciate some feedback and have a few questions.
Also, I had read that when left unattended hooked up, the surge protectors sometimes get stollen. Is this a real problem? Does anyone have any ideas how to secure it?
Thanks
The best way to get surge suppression for your rig is to permanently install a whole house suppressor near your shore power plug. Better specs than the RV-specific ones and far cheaper.

I used this one:

surge.jpg

This assumes you already have (or don't need) the fancy AC power-analysis stuff that the most expensive of the RV units provide in addition to surge suppression.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 09:28 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fico4gapp View Post
Thanks
There are a number of providers for surge protectors. I particularly like the portable ones made by Progressive (Progressive Industries, Inc. | Rv Surge Protection). I think the risk of somebody running off with your protector is pretty low but in any event, the portable unit I have has a lanyard that permits me to lock the protector to the pedestal.
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote