Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2019, 01:05 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Underhood Generator charging

My Roadtrek Simplicity has a Underhood Generator (280XP-SE) but no Balmar (external voltage regulator). From the documentation, it seems that the internal regulator "has a set point of 14.7 volts cold and 14.2 volts hot if batteries are at full charge".

Considering my battery charging parameters, this seems incompatible, no?

Deka 8A31DT charging parameters
Float: 13.4 - 13.6
Absortion: 14.1 - 14.4
Equalize: 14.4 - 14.6
I don't know what the Equalize mode is but 14.7 from the alternator is even higher than the Equalize mode range [14.4 - 14.6].

I don't know the different between the cold and hot regulator modes but even at 14.2 volt (hot), it means that the battery is always in absorption mode, right? Would it overcharge?

Your comments would be appreciated.
Old 11-17-2019, 01:39 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshimura View Post
My Roadtrek Simplicity has a Underhood Generator (280XP-SE) but no Balmar (external voltage regulator). From the documentation, it seems that the internal regulator "has a set point of 14.7 volts cold and 14.2 volts hot if batteries are at full charge".

Considering my battery charging parameters, this seems incompatible, no?

Deka 8A31DT charging parameters
Float: 13.4 - 13.6
Absortion: 14.1 - 14.4
Equalize: 14.4 - 14.6
I don't know what the Equalize mode is but 14.7 from the alternator is even higher than the Equalize mode range [14.4 - 14.6].

I don't know the different between the cold and hot regulator modes but even at 14.2 volt (hot), it means that the battery is always in absorption mode, right? Would it overcharge?

Your comments would be appreciated.

There are a couple of options you may want to consider as IMO those voltages are too high.

Best would be to have a Balmar regulator put on and properly programmed. They would also modify the alternator for remote regulation. You would them be able to set an AGM profile which is probably 14.4 absorption and 13.5v float.

If it is still available, DC Power Engineering, who makes that alternator as far as I know has a lower voltage regulator available that probably would fit. We ran one in an XP250 for a while and it ran in the low 14s volts most of the time and once the batteries were full it would cut back to mid 13s volts. Nations may be able to get one, and any alternator shop should be able to put it in.

If it were me, I would do the Balmar even though more expensive, and at the same time have a switch put into the activation for the Balmar so you could shut off charging when the batteries get full on long drives.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 05:03 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Personally I would call Adam at Nation's Starter in Missouri. They are the ones producing the system for Roadtrek.

https://www.nationsstarteralternator.com/aboutus.asp
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 03:50 PM   #4
Bronze Member

Have replaced battery and alternator but check charging system light still comes on. Is it likely the starter could be the problem?
Jill Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 05:19 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill Ellis View Post
Have replaced battery and alternator but check charging system light still comes on. Is it likely the starter could be the problem?
Starting a new thread with some background info(year make, model, etc)for this issue in the correct area would help significantly in getting info.

To answer the question, quite unlikely.
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is online now   Reply With Quote