Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2019, 10:38 PM   #1

Default Updating 1988 Ford Holidaire Electronics

Hello all I have a 1988 Ford Holidaire class b camper that I am doing a complete renovation on. Check out my build thread! I want to upgrade the electronics system and the lighting fixtures but have no idea where to start. What are some recommended electronic upgrades that y'all have done to bring your 80s and 90s campers into current times. I want to install solar panels and have a large house battery bank that allows me to stay off grid for 3-4 days at a time. I plan on installing a battery isolator and I want to put a voltage and amp hours gauge. Look forward to your response and suggestions.
cramerrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 02:38 AM   #2
Platinum Member

1997 PW. Recently changed out the guts of a Magnetek power distribution center. Bought conversion that fit the original unit which gives me multi-stage battery charging and filtered DC legs. Seems to work fine. Will see.

This B only had a single group 24. Upgraded to group 27 LifeLine AGM. Maybe add more in future but so far seems to be ok.

Added a Renogy 100w solar suitcase. Chose it because I prefer camping in shade and can locate the unit where there is sun.

Changed out all interior lights to LED.

My fridge is a 3-way and run it on propane once camped. Mixed result. Suffers the fate of exterior air temps. Added cooling fans at rear of cabinet to help out.

So......bottom line......Recently camped for 3 days along the Colorado river in AZ. RV was never driven during this time. Temps reached 60s in the day/high 30s at night. Cold enough to run the furnace. My single solar panel brought the battery to full every day. Depleted to 3/4 by morning. Up to full by noonish. AZ has very intense sun!

Have bought a Victron battery monitor that I need to install. I'll get a better sense of usage in varying conditions at that point.
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote