Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-09-2018, 02:19 AM   #1
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: NC
Posts: 118
Default Volta Power System Kits

The Volta Power System web site has four retrofit partners listed. I am wondering if any DIY camper van members on this board has had one of the Volta systems installed on their van? Curious on hearing their thoughts on the system and the process of getting it installed.

https://voltapowersystems.com/
__________________

Oliver2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 03:25 AM   #2
Platinum Member
 
Davydd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 4,562
Default

Advanced RV has been offering Volta for about a year now. Some customers have them installed. Ive seen the installation.
__________________

__________________
Davydd
2015 Advanced RV Ocean One Mercedes Benz Sprinter
Previous Class Bs:
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 01:15 PM   #3
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,002
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver2017 View Post
The Volta Power System web site has four retrofit partners listed. I am wondering if any DIY camper van members on this board has had one of the Volta systems installed on their van? Curious on hearing their thoughts on the system and the process of getting it installed.

https://voltapowersystems.com/

stll big bucks .
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 02:44 PM   #4
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,242
Default

Has anyone gotten the prices for the aftermarket kits from Volta or any of the 4 listed installers?
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 04:21 PM   #5
Platinum Member
 
wincrasher's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Greer, South Carolina
Posts: 2,609
Default

nothing has happened in the market to increase the supply of these type batteries and drive down the cost. If anything, the raw materials are going up, as is demand. this big a battery is pretty expensive and probably 1/2 the cost of the kit.
__________________
2019 Winnebago Travato GL
Follow my blog: https://www.wincrasher.blogspot.com
Our Facebook group is: https://www.facebook.com/groups/ClassBCamperVans/
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 04:28 PM   #6
Platinum Member
 
wincrasher's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Greer, South Carolina
Posts: 2,609
Default

FWIW, he's a link to the spec sheets on the kits. Scroll down to the class B kits.

Looks like Winnebago is getting the "power kit". I'd rather they were getting the "off grid" kit. Note that it's not just a bigger battery - it's a larger alternator and higher performance heating pads. Interesting.

https://voltapowersystems.com/indust...orage-rv/#kits
__________________
2019 Winnebago Travato GL
Follow my blog: https://www.wincrasher.blogspot.com
Our Facebook group is: https://www.facebook.com/groups/ClassBCamperVans/
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 11:45 PM   #7
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Arizona, Tempe
Posts: 629
Default

So, 13.5kwh is equal to about 10 100AH LiFe batteries?
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 01:14 AM   #8
Platinum Member
 
wincrasher's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Greer, South Carolina
Posts: 2,609
Default

It's a bit more I think.

If they are claiming 24 AGM's at 50% DOD. Group 31's are about 110 AH each. So that calculated out to 1320 AH usable (so 13 LiFEPO4 drop-in type batteries)

Divide by 90%, and that gives you 1466 AH gross on this battery pack. We could pick around the edges by changing some of these numbers, but it won't move the needle much, but sounds in the ballpark.

Using the same methodology, the pack WGO is using, they claim 18.5 batteries, so that calculates out to 1130 AH gross for the lithium pack (so 11 LiFePO4 drop-ins). At $1200 each, that would be $13,200 for just batteries, not counting the housing or any of the other electronics).
__________________
2019 Winnebago Travato GL
Follow my blog: https://www.wincrasher.blogspot.com
Our Facebook group is: https://www.facebook.com/groups/ClassBCamperVans/
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 01:54 AM   #9
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Ohio
Posts: 75
Default

If Advanced RV is using this system, I'm sure it's the best available. Their custom vans are the most expensive class B vans on the market, but they know what they're doing and are committed to being the best. They have a couple videos on their YouTube channel about their testing of the Volta system. It's impressive!
dhectorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 03:36 AM   #10
Platinum Member
 
wincrasher's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Greer, South Carolina
Posts: 2,609
Default

That's the beauty of a vendor supplied system like this - it's basically a black box - you aren't modifying it - all you are doing is installing it per their instructions (and hopefully supervision). Volta engineers the system - I suppose that is also the case with the ARV systems.

When you have RV manufacturers engineering a system, you get the kludge that is the Roadtrek/Hymer offering. Trial and error and the expense and suffering of their customers.
__________________
2019 Winnebago Travato GL
Follow my blog: https://www.wincrasher.blogspot.com
Our Facebook group is: https://www.facebook.com/groups/ClassBCamperVans/
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 10:36 PM   #11
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: CA
Posts: 1,608
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
FWIW, he's a link to the spec sheets on the kits. Scroll down to the class B kits.

Looks like Winnebago is getting the "power kit". I'd rather they were getting the "off grid" kit. Note that it's not just a bigger battery - it's a larger alternator and higher performance heating pads. Interesting.

https://voltapowersystems.com/indust...orage-rv/#kits
Considering the other parameters of this setup, isn't a 40 amp battery charger a little anemic?
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 01:30 AM   #12
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,242
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruising7388 View Post
Considering the other parameters of this setup, isn't a 40 amp battery charger a little anemic?
Are you looking at the inverter/charger spec? Up to 50 amps charging at up to 58v DC into the 48 volt battery bank. Equivalent to a 200 amp charger into a 12 volt battery bank.
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 01:50 AM   #13
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 7,767
Default

This is a test as I don't seem to be able to see page 2. All other threads working normally.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 02:04 AM   #14
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: CA
Posts: 1,608
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmchugh View Post
Are you looking at the inverter/charger spec? Up to 50 amps charging at up to 58v DC into the 48 volt battery bank. Equivalent to a 200 amp charger into a 12 volt battery bank.
Sir, it's very uncharitable of you to reveal my senior moment.

Yep, you're right, I forgot about the voltage level of the charger.
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 03:24 PM   #15
Platinum Member
 
wincrasher's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Greer, South Carolina
Posts: 2,609
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruising7388 View Post
Sir, it's very uncharitable of you to reveal my senior moment.

Yep, you're right, I forgot about the voltage level of the charger.
Could be we are so jaded because of the history of RV manufacturers....
__________________
2019 Winnebago Travato GL
Follow my blog: https://www.wincrasher.blogspot.com
Our Facebook group is: https://www.facebook.com/groups/ClassBCamperVans/
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 05:03 AM   #16
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Virginia
Posts: 11
Smile Do You Need Solar With A System Like Volta?

Hi everyone, i have been a lurker for a while now, learning more and more as I read the various posts listed and greatly appreciate everyones inputs. I don't yet have an RV but feel that I should be well educated before acquiring one within the next year.

My question is, do you need a solar setup when you have a system like the Volta "Off Grid" setup? If not, what would be the perk of having a solar set up? What would be the ideal "watts" amount for 2-3 boondocking kind scenarios?

Thanks In Advance
Dak
TravelinDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 05:36 AM   #17
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: CA
Posts: 1,608
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelinDak View Post
My question is, do you need a solar setup when you have a system like the Volta "Off Grid" setup? If not, what would be the perk of having a solar set up? What would be the ideal "watts" amount for 2-3 boondocking kind scenarios?
These are good asks. The conventional sweet spot for boondocking seems to be around 400ah. Some folks like AGMs for this while others are opting for Lithium batteries. Either choice has its tradeoffs. The AGMs are heavier and have a depth of discharge limited to around 50%. But they are pretty bullet proof, can be charged with a conventional 3 stage charger and are tolerant of wide temperature variations. Lithium batteries can tolerate discharge levels of 89-90% without damage. They can tolerate high amperage recharging but need chargers designed for lithium applications. Unlike AGMs they are more sensitive to temperature and require a battery management module to prevent damage from out of tolerance temperature conditions. So, pick your poison.

With batteries at 400ah, I think solar panels are still desirable. But with the ah capacity and recharging capability of the Volta system, I think the multi thousand dollar cost of a solar system is a questionable investment. I would still add the option but that's because I have more money than brains.
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 02:16 PM   #18
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Ohio
Posts: 75
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelinDak View Post
Hi everyone, i have been a lurker for a while now, learning more and more as I read the various posts listed and greatly appreciate everyones inputs. I don't yet have an RV but feel that I should be well educated before acquiring one within the next year.

My question is, do you need a solar setup when you have a system like the Volta "Off Grid" setup? If not, what would be the perk of having a solar set up? What would be the ideal "watts" amount for 2-3 boondocking kind scenarios?

Thanks In Advance
Dak
Those who wish to minimize their overall carbon footprint view solar as an essential component of any RV. Running the engine to charge house batteries is out of the question for us tree huggers. That said, having an under hood generator is great for when you're driving anyway. Of course, saving money is always great, but it's not always about that.

A class B van should be able to accommodate anywhere from 300 on up too maybe 800 watts, depending on the size of the van and how much additional equipment is eating up space on the roof. Personally, I'd try to install at least the same solar wattage as I have AH in battery storage (400ah battery = at least 400 watts of solar). Nothing scientific there, that's just my comfort level to maintain enough power and charging capacity. Your level of energy consumption is also crucial to know.

To be clear, I'm not suggesting that anyone who charges batteries with an under-hood generator is a bad person haha. There is no right or wrong way to power your van. RVers run their rigs in a million different ways, some only camp where there's shore power even. Just do what your priorities and your wallet will allow.
dhectorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 07:41 PM   #19
Platinum Member
 
wincrasher's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Greer, South Carolina
Posts: 2,609
Default

There are very few vans that can accommodate any more than 300 watts on the roof without building some kind of contraption to hold the panels above roof vents, air conditioner and stacks.
__________________
2019 Winnebago Travato GL
Follow my blog: https://www.wincrasher.blogspot.com
Our Facebook group is: https://www.facebook.com/groups/ClassBCamperVans/
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 03:07 AM   #20
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Ohio
Posts: 75
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
There are very few vans that can accommodate any more than 300 watts on the roof without building some kind of contraption to hold the panels above roof vents, air conditioner and stacks.
Roadtrek installs up to 600 watts on their extended length vans and ARV offers similar, both with AC and vent fan installed. I've also seen custom extended length Sprinters with as much as 900 watts directly on the roof. It just depends on the overall configuration.
__________________

dhectorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT. The time now is 04:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×