Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2018, 06:50 PM   #1

Default Wiring in a MaxxAir Fan

Hello,

I recently bought a 1988 Class B Dodge Camper van. I picked up a MaxxAir fan to install in place of the old fan-less roof vent and am lost when it comes to wiring the thing in. I know I have a house battery and a converter/battery charger system. Please forgive me, I am really ignorant about wiring and the electrical systems. I would like to wire the fan such that it can run off D/C when I am off grid and A/C when I am on shore power like the water pump can do, or the lights, etc. I have no idea where to begin to accomplish this goal. All advice, explanations, tips, etc are so so welcome and completely appreciated. Thanks!

I will be installing solar as well, but am tackling the fan first.

Thanks!!!

Aimee
aimsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 07:38 PM   #2
Platinum Member

It is a 12 volt DC only fan so it should be wired to the 12v system.

You will have to create a 12v circuit and run the wiring to the fan from your 12v panel. It should have a 12v fuse to protect the circuit.

As it has a built in switch you can control it with the fan controls.

If this is beyond your capabilities call around to see how much a shop or maybe even a mobile RV repair tech will charge.
Hondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 09:41 PM   #3

Thanks for the response. I don't think it is beyond my ability to understand what needs doing and do it myself. There is a light nearby and I am really curious to know if I can run the fan wires to that light fixture and tie into those wires safely?

I called a local RV place and they quoted me $124/hr at approx 2 hours and $15 for supplies. I could buy a second fan for that!

Is installing a new circuit a huge undertaking? I am not sure were the fuses for my house battery system are located. I am wondering if the fuses for the house battery share the fuse panel located in the glove compartment with the engine's battery?
Old 04-04-2018, 11:41 PM   #4
Platinum Member

I would probably wire into that light, depending on the current draw of the fan. I assume it's not much more than to 2 amps. That should be no issue at all, especially if you have converted the light to LED. Do make sure the wiring is thick enough. Some new stuff equipped with LED lighting may have super thin wiring, so do check that out.
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 11:54 PM   #5

I just read in the pamphlet that came with the fan that it needs to be attached to a 5amp circuit. I am not sure how to find out of the light fixture is on a 5amp circuit. Presently not using LED bulbs, but have ordered and will be switching over from the old kind of bulbs asap.
Old 04-05-2018, 12:53 AM   #6
Platinum Member

There should be a listing in the specs stating the amperage draw per speed. It's obviously not too much as they recommend only a 5 amp fuse. I didn't notice before but you have an older van so ultra thin wiring for lighting will not apply. The fan should have it's own fuse, if not, wire in a fuse holder on the + wire and put a five amp fuse in it.
Old 04-05-2018, 02:07 AM   #7

Okay cool, will check if the fan has a fuse, if not, will add a fuse to the wire. Thank you so much for taking the time. Checked the light I want to tap into and it most definitely has a thicker gauge wire. Still not sure what amp circuit it's on though. I am not sure how to figure that out. It would be nice to know the entire electrical setup in the van.
Old 04-05-2018, 03:23 AM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimsky View Post
Okay cool, will check if the fan has a fuse, if not, will add a fuse to the wire. Thank you so much for taking the time. Checked the light I want to tap into and it most definitely has a thicker gauge wire. Still not sure what amp circuit it's on though. I am not sure how to figure that out. It would be nice to know the entire electrical setup in the van.
Find your electrical converter and open the door. There should be a row of low voltage automotive type fuses. With luck, they are labeled. Otherwise just start pulling fuses until the light goes out. That would be a really good idea anyhow when wiring up the fan.

Also: Please don't just twist wires together and wrap in tape. If you are not accomplished at low voltage wiring go watch a few Utubes for techniques and best practices.

Have fun.
Old 04-05-2018, 03:31 AM   #9

Ha ha, I will definitely watch some tutorials before I fiddle with wires.

Thanks very much for all your help. I will go and study my converter closely tomorrow and do as you have suggested.