Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2017, 05:11 PM   #1
BBQ
Platinum Member

Default Xantrex LinkPRO Battery Monitor

Who has experience with the Xantrex LinkPRO Battery Monitor?

Who is their competition?

BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 05:33 PM   #2
Platinum Member

I assume Bogart Engineering's Trimetric monitor will do everything that one will and maybe more. Solid product, solid company with super CS.
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 05:55 PM   #3
Platinum Member

We have that capability and much more with our battery management with our Silverleaf control. I wonder if the LinkPRO only works with Xantrex inverters because of the capability of the Xantrex in providing feedback. It is my understanding Advanced RV is now installing an Xantrex inverter because they interface with the Silverleaf in providing feedback whereas the Outback inverter does not directly. I'm not sure why but I would guess more simplicity and it might free up the Silverleaf for another function as there are so many modules of information that can be connected. For instance there is now a separate real time solar input in amps on the Silverleaf that I don't have. I only have an inconvenient readout on a remote module that I could hook up a computer if I desired too.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 06:12 PM   #4
BBQ
Platinum Member

The guy is alluding that the unit can start the engine to charge the battery?

Is that how you read it?

How is that done?

RT VoltStart?

BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 10:56 PM   #5
Platinum Member

I had 2 Link10 units which were the predecessor to Xantrex Link Pro and Xantrex Link Lite. I believe that Link 10 was either the first or one of the first battery monitors capable of calculating SOC using Pukert’s law. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peukert%27s_law

The quality suffered after Xantrex purchased the Link 10 company years back. Xantrex is owned by the Schneider Electric Co now. I believe the Xantrex Pro has the capability to trigger a small relay based on the SOC level which could be used to start a generator.

Some popular units of today are by Victron; BMV 700 and BMV 702 with different features. There is also the venerable battery monitor by Bogard Engineering, still looks like from the previous century.

All of these battery monitors use a shunt mounted between the negative battery post and the ground/loads. These shunts are calibrated resistors and the battery monitor measures the drop of voltage across which is proportional to current. Voltage polarity changes with current flow direction by which the monitor knows if battery is being charged or depleted. SOC (State of charge) is often used as a primary gauge to see the battery state.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 11:59 PM   #6
Platinum Member

This is the new kid on the block, I have Blue Sea OLED 2 decimal voltmeter in a very visible spot, love it.
https://www.bluesea.com/products/1830/M2_DC_SoC_Monitor

More info on Victron Lite.
https://www.victronenergy.com/blog/2...-702-insights/

Blue Sea Video
Old 06-21-2017, 02:24 AM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
This is the new kid on the block, I have Blue Sea OLED 2 decimal voltmeter in a very visible spot, love it.
https://www.bluesea.com/products/1830/M2_DC_SoC_Monitor

More info on Victron Lite.
https://www.victronenergy.com/blog/2...-702-insights/

Blue Sea Video
These Blue Sea meters (1830 - 1834) are the creme de la creme of digital meters in current production. You mention that the current meters utilize shunts between the loads and ground. That;s true, but these Blue Sea current meters will also operate with the shunts placed between the source and the load without requiring a shunt shifter and operate with very little decrease in accuracy. The 1832 ammeter will support two shunts and is an ideal meter for monitoring alternator amperage output.
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 05:52 AM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruising7388 View Post
These Blue Sea meters (1830 - 1834) are the creme de la creme of digital meters in current production. You mention that the current meters utilize shunts between the loads and ground. That;s true, but these Blue Sea current meters will also operate with the shunts placed between the source and the load without requiring a shunt shifter and operate with very little decrease in accuracy. The 1832 ammeter will support two shunts and is an ideal meter for monitoring alternator amperage output.
Plus, the benefit of the high contrast OLED display with low current draw. My mini voltage meter is only 15 mA. I can see mine from outside through the sliding door window.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GR020666.jpg (427.7 KB, 13 views)