Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-18-2008, 09:30 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default B+ vs B

Markopolo

Now that you have had the B+ for awhile how about a comparison to your RT.
Does the size make a big difference in power, mileage, driving, places to fit and anything else ??
How about a list of +'s and -'s and overall thoughts for anyone thinking of going that way.

Not just for Marko but anyone with experience.

Thanks
John
FLSTFI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 03:31 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLSTFI
Markopolo..... Now that you have had the B+ for awhile how about a comparison to your RT.
Great idea to explore this.

First off, I think there are more similarities with B+ and B RV's than most people realize. There is no "step down" to the cab area like there is in C units. The floor throughout is relatively level like a B. My B+ lacks the "basement storage" most C's have. I buy camping accessories that fit my limited storage space just like I had to in my B. At 23' my rig is shorter than Winnebago new Sprinter B. B+ units tend to be shorter in height in than C units. B+ units do not have the over-the-cab sleeping that C units have and you have to make up a bed at night.

Comparing the two:

There is a difference in the quality of my Trail-Lite B+ and the Roadtrek 190P I owned. That said, there is also a noticeable difference in price (especially when new) It’s an apples to oranges comparison though. Roadtrek is at the top of their market segment and R-Vision's Trail-Lite is more of an economy line.

Plumbing:

My Roadtrek - Pex tubing with high quality fittings. Tested to be able to handle sub-freezing temperatures.

My Trail-Lite B+ - A real mix of tubing, reinforced hose, hose clamps etc.

I have not experienced any plumbing problems in either rig.

Electrical:

My Roadtrek - Flexible copper wiring, neatly bundled, high quality components (e.g. Tripp-Lite inverter)

My Trail-Lite B+ - A real mix of solid and flexible copper wire sort of randomly bundled. (Parallax converter)

I have not experienced any electrical problems in either rig.

Cabinetry:

My Roadtrek - a mix of simulated maple plywood and real maple. Screwed & glued.

My Trail-Lite B+ - Minimal real oak, mostly a "paper oak" covering on some type of wood. Some screws, lots of staples.

I've had to cover up minor damage to the paper oak from the previous owners.

Chevy:

My B+ doesn’t have the keyless entry, compass or adjustable lumbar support that my Roadtrek had.

Quote:
Does the size make a big difference in power, mileage, driving, places to fit and anything else?
At just over 1’ longer I can pretty much go where I went in my B. Power is definitely adequate, no problems on hills etc. My RT had more power though. My guess(timate) re: mileage is that I’m getting 2 mpg less at 12mpg. Driving on the highway is great but driving in city traffic requires more effort. At 8’ wide I “fill a lane”.

Quote:
How about a list of +'s and -'s and overall thoughts for anyone thinking of going that way.
Pluses:

8 cu. ft. fridge, large bathroom and propane oven all make “living” in the RV very comfortable. Rainy days are not a problem.

Repairs and modifications will be easier as components are not as tightly fitted.

Minuses:

The larger RV is harder to clean and the roof will require periodic inspection and maintenance.

I’ve lost the use of my RV as a second vehicle. It’s certainly doable and other B+ owners do but I’m not comfortable with using it that way because it’s harder to park. I also need space to get out of a parking spot given that the rear swings out when I turn.

My thoughts:

If you “tour” and like to visit cities a Class B RV is the way to go. Smaller is better for getting around.

If you prefer to camp in one place maybe moving once or twice per week the extra space in a B+ will be welcome.

There are higher quality B+ units available. I’m still happy with my choice though. I think the structure is sound. That’s important.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 07:05 PM   #3

Markopolo,

Thanks for the information. It was good to get the comparison. I wasvery unsure about the differnences between the Class B and B+. It's a little clearer now.

Art
Hastings1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 09:59 PM   #4
Platinum Member

The manufacturers got carried away with the B+ designation. The RV's got longer and you can find a 30 footer called a B+ and it is clearly a Class C.

B+ is a made up category. There really is only Class A, Class C & Class B sometimes they are referred to Type A, Type C & Type B.

Basically, if the RV base vehicle is a van then it is a Class B. If the RV base vehicle is a cutaway chassis then it is a Class C.

Cutaway chassis

cutaway.jpg
Old 12-23-2015, 06:10 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Are the Trail-Lite B+ still being made? I cannot find the manufacturers site on line.

thanks
Old 12-25-2015, 03:19 AM   #6
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bobojay

I think Trail-Lite is out of business....

Past RV's: 2013 WGO ERA 70A, Chevy PW Lexor
Itasca Navion, 29' Jayco 5th Wheel
bobojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 02:54 AM   #7

I've a 2014 Pleasure Way Pursuit 22 (22 feet). Some call this a class B, others Class C. It does have a small step-down into the cab, and it is boxy like an ambulance (!), but that extra space makes living more comfortable due to its 9 inch wider frame.
Jontona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 05:00 AM   #8
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bobojay

According to the RVIA definition, you have a C, built off of a cutaway chassis. B+ is just a marketing term

Past RV's: 2013 WGO ERA 70A, Chevy PW Lexor
Itasca Navion, 29' Jayco 5th Wheel
bobojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 04:31 PM   #9

What is mine?
I have been calling it a B+ wide body.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg D9479F1F-8958-423A-A395-3D3C16AFFEC7.jpeg (389.4 KB, 35 views)
firetenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 11:09 PM   #10
Platinum Member

That's an odd one, but I kinda like it.

A B-? lol
Bruceper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 11:20 PM   #11
Platinum Member

That's a Class B. It was built on a van chassis.
Looks like it is an Islander brand.
Old 09-14-2018, 07:06 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Coach House makes B+ models from 23 -27 feet -

Luxury Small Motorhomes | Fuel Efficient Downsized Class C (Class B-Plus) RVs | Coach House Platinum
Hondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 01:45 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by firetenn View Post
What is mine?
I have been calling it a B+ wide body.
That's mighty neat. How tall is the center and can you stand up straight (that is if you are 6', 4" tall?)

Yes and I agree with another poster - it's a B since it is on a van chassis.
Altster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 08:44 PM   #14
Bronze Member

I ended up with a Winnebago Trend 23L (B+ style RV). It has a similar layout to and is very comparable with a Winnebago Travato 59g (B style RV). The Trend 23B and Travato 59k are a similar layout to each other and are also very comparable B+ and B styles.

The Travatos are built on the Ram Promaster vans, while the Trends are built on the Ram Promaster chassis. I decided on the Travato 59g because I love the layout, and I liked the size. At 21' it is parkable in a regular parking spot. But space is tight inside it. When I took my wife to see it, I tried to prepare her for the tight size, but emphasize the great mileage and maneuverability of the B format. She took one step inside and said, "No, too small." So we ended up with the B+ Trend 23L.

I like the extra room inside. I also like that we have six seatbelts and sleeping for 6. But it would definitely be an "adventure" to do more than an overnighter with six people. Four adults is doable. Two grandparents and two grandkids is very doable.

The real disadvantage is that at 24' length, it doesn't neatly fit into a standard parking spot. It is also a bit wider than a B, and that doesn't help with parking. That said, I have parked in regular spots on several occasions. There have also been several occasions where I said, "no way," and found RV spots, or used up two spots in a remote part of the parking lot.

MPG drops from about 16 for the Travatos to about 14 for the Trends (12 if you go 80mph on the interstate, which is the speed limit, where I live).

Assuming that they basically have the same platforms and construction, the main differences I see in similar B's and B+'s are (1) the interior room (B+ wins), (2) the parking (B wins), and (3) the MPG (B wins).
2002 Keystone Cougar 28BH
davedutah is offline   Reply With Quote