Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2017, 07:33 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Campground restrictions for B+

We were looking at the Travato but my 6'3" husband did not fit in the front seats. Very uncomfortable. So back to sprinters. We've been renting a Coachman Galleria and like that but was wowed by a LTV Unity MB over the weekend. Beautiful, but a bit higher, wider and 25 ft in length. Even though the model is U24MB.

Have there been places you have wanted to camp in but couldn't because you were classified as an RV not a van? Or because size limitations?

Thanks!
Lkwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 10:01 PM   #2
Bronze Member

It's a C, not a B+. But otherwise, good question. Can't help, we're downsizing from a 45' Class A to a Sprinter B.
FlyingDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 02:59 PM   #3
Platinum Member

never even had a hint of that

in most campgrounds we are paying for a "full size" space we use 1/2 of

in some we have the option of saving 3 or 4 bucks for a 28 or 30' back in- based on availability

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 03:22 PM   #4
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkguitar View Post
never even had a hint of that

in most campgrounds we are paying for a "full size" space we use 1/2 of

in some we have the option of saving 3 or 4 bucks for a 28 or 30' back in- based on availability

Mike
Thanks Mike! That's what I was hoping. What do you own and pro's/cons?
Old 07-31-2017, 03:50 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Surprisingly, the rules are usually the other way around, when the do exist. They will exclude class B RVs but not class C, which is what you are looking at.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 11:39 AM   #6
Silver Member

Default Breckenridge, CO

The nicest campground in Breckenridge has a covenant with seasonal renters that does not allow Class Bs. we were turned away at the door in our 16 Travato.

Its the only one i have seen, but it could not be the only one
riplips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 04:07 PM   #7
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by riplips View Post
The nicest campground in Breckenridge has a covenant with seasonal renters that does not allow Class Bs. we were turned away at the door in our 16 Travato.

Its the only one i have seen, but it could not be the only one
Wow, I find that so odd... maybe trying to keep out the surfer type vans of old? They need to update their covenants.
Old 08-02-2017, 04:33 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lkwilson View Post
Wow, I find that so odd... maybe trying to keep out the surfer type vans of old? They need to update their covenants.
DW's brother is in a park in Mesa that has that rule, and he has tried to get a waiver for us to get in for a few days to visit, but no go. If we had a 30 year old, ratty, class C, we could get in without issue. Pretty common around there, he said. They seem to think all vans are ones with just mattress thrown in the back.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 05:20 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
There are many private campgrounds that have various snooty rules. There are many that won't let you in if your rig is more than 10 years old. There are also Airstream-only campgrounds, many of which won't let Airstream Interstates in.

I will stick with state parks and BLM sites, thank you.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 05:50 PM   #10
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
There are many private campgrounds that have various snooty rules. There are many that won't let you in if your rig is more than 10 years old. There are also Airstream-only campgrounds, many of which won't let Airstream Interstates in.

I will stick with state parks and BLM sites, thank you.
I actually was more concerned with the state and national parks and their size restrictions. Wasn't even considering private campgrounds when I posted the question.
Old 08-02-2017, 05:52 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
I actually was more concerned with the state and national parks and their size restrictions. Wasn't even considering private campgrounds when I posted the question.
Oh. In that case, as far as I know the ONLY issue is that some roads/tunnels/ferries have length and/or height restrictions that preclude large vans. But they would obviously preclude larger rigs as well. I have never seen a campground that rejected you because you were a van or were too small.
Old 08-02-2017, 05:54 PM   #12
Platinum Member

The resort I belong to has the 10 year rule (for renters and new purchasers) and for Class A or 5th wheel (both must be 30 feet). You can have a Class B in if it's used as a second car (no camping in it). No class C, no toy haulers, no trailers, no super-c, etc.

Some may look at it as snooty, but it's an ownership park. We have property values to protect. As they say, it's a resort and not a campground. I'm fine with these rules.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 06:00 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
The resort I belong to has the 10 year rule (for renters and new purchasers) and for Class A or 5th wheel (both must be 30 feet). You can have a Class B in if it's used as a second car (no camping in it). No class C, no toy haulers, no trailers, no super-c, etc.

Some may look at it as snooty, but it's an ownership park. We have property values to protect. As they say, it's a resort and not a campground. I'm fine with these rules.
Didn't mean to offend. I guess it is the same issue as neighborhood associations. Obviously, many people like them.
Old 08-03-2017, 05:49 PM   #14
Gold Member

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
DW's brother is in a park in Mesa that has that rule, and he has tried to get a waiver for us to get in for a few days to visit, but no go. If we had a 30 year old, ratty, class C, we could get in without issue. Pretty common around there, he said. They seem to think all vans are ones with just mattress thrown in the back.
We have a 2008 Pleasure Way Plateau TS (new to us) so next year it will be 10 years old, how do the parks with this 10 year restriction get to know the age of the RV or is it just done on the visual appearance???
Old 08-03-2017, 05:59 PM   #15
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche911 View Post
We have a 2008 Pleasure Way Plateau TS (new to us) so next year it will be 10 years old, how do the parks with this 10 year restriction get to know the age of the RV or is it just done on the visual appearance???

VIN #

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 06:15 PM   #16
Gold Member

Well the chassis is 2007 so that puts us out of date this year. ........... Bummer
Old 08-04-2017, 04:07 AM   #17
Platinum Member

Some state and national parks have rules about the maximum allowed length and width of an RV. These upper limits may have to do with more than just the size of the campsites. They sometimes are related to the clearance around curves in the roads, the width of the roads, how low the tree branches are regularly trimmed, etc.

Here are the maximums for California State Parks. They vary by park.
https://www.parks.ca.gov/RVlength

Here's what I've found for the National Parks. Again, they vary by park.
https://www.nps.gov/search/?utf8=%25...uery=rv+length
SiennaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 05:21 AM   #18
BBQ
Platinum Member

Some restrictions are due to the trails. It is simply not wise to drive a long RV into the more remote and winding roads.
Old 08-04-2017, 12:44 PM   #19
Platinum Member

Many public park campgrounds were developed when tent camping was in the majority. Thus, still national parks have little electricity and narrow pull in sites mainly for a car with a tent to the side. You will find national forest lands dotted with such sites and usually no more than 24 foot parking depths. Some sites are not suitable for even Class Bs because level was not a criteria. When they give a length description that is usually the majority of the sites minimum but they rarely accommodate a Class A in length, nor a trailer and truck. However, you get a lot of them attempting it and usually encroaching on your site with the trailering vehicle.

Most Class Cs, Class As and trailers have not adopted the boondocking attitude and capabilities of the Class Bs. The so-called B+ within length limits get hung up on roads and tunnels mainly because of their width and height. You have a long detour for instance without driving through the Needles Highway from Mount Rushmore to Custer State Park let alone the ability to do a spectacular drive.

Generally just pull in parking is more difficult, but not entirely impossible, with a Class B+. You are at the standard 8 ft. width limit of most parking stalls so your mirrors encroach on the next stall and door opening is difficult.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 08:34 PM   #20
Bronze Member

Thanks for all the input!