Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2016, 06:11 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Cockpit Evaluation

I want to share some things to keep in mind while comparing different B+ chassis:

A thorough look at the cockpit space in a motor home is just as important as evaluating the living area. I want those who are "shopping" to be aware that all cockpits are not created equal; some have a more spacious floor. You might not notice this as the cabin of the MH is usually what gets our attention when evaluating and comparing different makes/model.

The MB Sprinter has more leg room, space for your feet, and room for moving from front to back. Many of the others will have a bulge in the floor that they try to cover up with a utility console/cup holder - I believe Ford does this, and perhaps Dodge - making it it very awkward to move from the seats into the coach. I found the Promaster chassis to be very tight getting to the back of the coach, and I'm not a big person.

My advice:
Sit in both seats; move them forward, back, up, down, tilt the back, swivel (not all the driver seats swivel either - MB's do); Does the passenger seat have multiple position options. Does the driver's seat have the flexibility to fit both short and tall drivers? Adjustable steering wheel? Visibility out the windshield and doors.

When you test the cockpit area, bring along things you might be using there (phones, tablets, maps, knitting, etc.) and see how the space works

Get up and move fore and aft. Can you move to the cabin without scrunching sideways or hunkering over too much?

Can you live with the bulkhead or will it be a headbanger?

How well does the cockpit integrate into the cabin; it should be an extension of the living space. Is there a step up or down?

Are the captain's chairs, when swiveled, the correct height for a table or do they adjust up and down (some might have booster cushions)?

There are some differences in dashes and where the controls are located. Are all within easy reach? What about storage compartments (doors, dash, overhead)

I'm not trying to sell you on the MB Sprinter, but we found it to be more comfortable in these aspects. You will be spending a lot of time "up front". Make sure you include these observations when you are looking for the best RV for you.
Suza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 05:22 AM   #2
Platinum Member

agree with the general advice to test fit.

brand specific info may well vary from model year to model year, trim level and conversion.
so don;t "assume" anything, owner comments may not carry over

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote