Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-01-2016, 02:39 PM   #1

Default Dynamax REV 24RB vs Coachmen Prism 24M vs WGO 70C

I haven't seen a lot of info on the Dynamax REV 24RB or the Coachmen Prism 24M. We like them both and also appreciate the Winnebago ERA 70C.

There are pluses and minuses to each. We like them because of the substantial rear baths and the beds on the REV and Prism are hidden away.

My wife and I and three small dogs expect to make frequent 2-4 day trips (12-24 trips per year) in the OH, PA, MI area with the longest trips being perhaps Ohio to Florida once a year. We want the freedom to be able to boondock for a couple of days at a time on the shorter trips to visit family and see the sights while making sure the puppies are comfortable.

Thoughts?
MurphyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 02:57 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Those are apples and oranges.

In my view, the REV and the Prism are both junk compared to the Trend/Viva. There is a video on youtube of a test where WGO dropped a Trend on it's roof from a crane. The WGO has a full piece fiberglass roof which adds alot to it's structural integrity and durability. The REV and Prism have rubber roof membranes. If you pick any of this class of RV, watch your payload numbers closely. All three will have modest payloads and you could easily go over the ratings on any of them. Also, I've read a few posts where people have reported very poor fuel economy on the REV.

The Era should be head and shoulders above the C-class units mentioned above in quality, but also higher in price. Being smaller, you'll have more flexibility in where you take it, including boondocking possibilities. It will get much better fuel economy and there will be no payload issues. Of course, they are more expensive, but will also have much higher resale value.

Good luck in your search.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 03:13 PM   #3

I've had my reservations re: the rubber roof on the REV and the payload. The ERA 70C checks the boxes for what we're planning to use it for and the price vs resale value has been the direction I've been leaning.

Lot's to get educated on.
Old 01-01-2016, 06:42 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Except the 70C requires the slide be out to use the bed. That means no urban boondocking.
Jostalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 10:18 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bobojay

What Jostalli says. Also, the 70C has been a very slow seller for WGO

Past RV's: 2013 WGO ERA 70A, Chevy PW Lexor
Itasca Navion, 29' Jayco 5th Wheel
bobojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 10:47 PM   #6

Researching the Itasca Viva 23B. I seem to remember seeing a used one at a dealer and liking it but it was damaged.
Old 01-02-2016, 02:04 AM   #7
Platinum Member

The 23B and the Itasca brand has been discontinued. The 23B has been replaced by the 23D which has a rear bath with twin beds up the sides. Also a left side slideout with the fridge and a fold out couch/bed combo in it.
Winnebago is slowly changing everything over to the Winnebago brand only. If you can find a 23B somewhere it would have a great price on it. Saw one the other day for $64,900. brand new....

Old 01-31-2016, 03:01 AM   #8
Silver Member

Lightbulb WBO Trend 23D

Just looked at a WBO Trend 23D (gas) today and really liked it. While going through my process of elimination over the past few months, I liked to idea of driving and traveling in a Travato 59G until I physically climbed into one and tried it on for size - Too tight for my 6'3" frame! The 59K is more open and roomy but only rides and sleeps two, which wouldn't be enough for an occasional family trip.

As I set my sights a little bigger, I was most attracted to the WBO Trend/Viva 23L, which has plenty of sleeping space and a CCC of around 1435 lbs. The Dynamax REV 24CB and RB floorplans are heavier with lower CCCs of around 1100 lbs. While decent products for the current street price, I didn't care for the Dynamax furniture colors, comfort or arrangement, though I liked the attractive Corian countertops.

After seeing the new WBO Trend 23D in person, the floorplan has the openness I like about the Travato 59K without what the "K" is missing for my needs - more passenger seating/sleeping capacity. The CCC on the 23D is lower than the 23L but it is more spacious inside, has a slide in the living area, a more flexible floor plan, more comfortable beds and an excellent FlexSteel sofa bed. In addition, as James from TheFitRV said recently, those new optional dual-pane acrylic windows now offered on the Trend are "the bomb". Further, as with the Travato, there is a new 100w roof-mounted solar panel option available on the Trend for the late 2016 and 2017 models.

In the area of external storage, the 23L has the 23D beat but the "D" has a considerable amount of interior storage under the driver's side twin bed. Besides needing to watch more carefully how much weight gets loaded in compared to the 23L, what's not to like about the 23D?
GigaGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 05:16 PM   #9
Platinum Member

There will be naysayers that criticise the D because it has the fridge in the slide rather than permanent mounted, worrying about the propane hose flex. I wouldn't worry about it.
My wish is that they'd come out with an alternate option of a dinette instead of the sofa setup, same otherwise. Also that they'd do a corian countertop vs the cheapo one that will delaminate over time, but I also understand it's a weight issue....

Old 02-01-2016, 04:25 AM   #10
Silver Member

The issue of a gas line going to an appliance on a slide can be valid concern if there is a manufacturing or engineering QC problem, but I'm not concerned about that coming from WBO.

At the risk of sounding like a metrosexual, the biggest issue I have with the 2016 and earlier Trend and Viva models is with the choice of that awful mud brown hue for the countertop, dinette table and flooring. Many of the current Trend/Viva color schemes are too brown and monochromatic. We know a few other terms for that look. The style is pretty outdated and that detracts from the overall aesthetic appeal of the product.

WBO mostly addressed this issue with the countertops and flooring on the 2016 Travato but not yet on the Trend/Viva. Even if they kept the same funky, blocky countertops and didn't go to Corian, they could round them off a bit on the edges and change the flooring, dinette table and countertops to a neutral, contrasting color like white or grey. The "Crosshatch" and "Urban" interior schemes in the Travato look pretty darned good!

Several other RV manufacturers have done a decent job at choosing Formica countertops that look like Corian. With all of its resources and engineering talent, I would challenge WBO to accomplish this in its own way, in its own style. All the engineering excellence in the world doesn't do much good if there is no aesthetic (emotional) appeal, but the combination of the two is unstoppable. Look what Apple has accomplished following this principle.
GigaGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 02:00 PM   #11
Platinum Member

It can take 3 years to update the interior schemes in a product lineup like WGO has. Why they choose which models to do first I imagine is largely due to sales figures.

On a rig of this size, even 100 pounds makes a big difference with payloads this low. But I'd agree, they could do alot with Formica - I've seen all kinds of finishes and beveled edges, curved edges, etc. It certainly makes alot of sense to use it in a family camper where durability is important. The Corian is very vulnerable to scratching.

I'd like to see some do with quartz and granite like they do in boats - 1/4" sheet adhered to a honeycomb backing material for strength.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 06:50 PM   #12

I would also Check out the Winnebago Fuse. I just purchased the 23a model and am pretty happy. A little larger than what you were asking about but the same size as the Trend, 24 feet. We looked at everything including the REV TB and the Winnebago was what we thought would work for us.

I have a running blog about our Fuse at The conFUSEd RVer

Don
Tallahassee Fl
2017 Winnebago Fuse 23a
dgpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 07:51 PM   #13
Platinum Member

The Dynamax and Coachmen are junk RVs. I can at least expect the Winnebago to last and have some better build quality.
mrshowtime3 is offline   Reply With Quote