Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2018, 11:29 PM   #1

Default Leveling system

We just looked at LTV Murphy bed and are ready to order but I wondered if anyone had the leveling system and if they like it?
EdJodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 05:29 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdJodi View Post
We just looked at LTV Murphy bed and are ready to order but I wondered if anyone had the leveling system and if they like it?
Which platform?
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 06:49 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Default Ask LTV about a spare tire.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdJodi View Post
WOW...met someone who just purchased one of these...boy was he surprised to discover that it didn't come with a spare tire.... they gave him an inflatable can of stuff....

Let me tell you..he was pissed off....

As for the Murphy Bed... I've seen them advertised... they look cool.. but my wife said she would never have this from any manufacturer..why..it eats up the entire living space in the front... when the bed is down... there's almost no room to get around it..

By the way LTV doesn't make Class B's anymore...are you talking about the Unity.. that's a Class B+... actually it's a Class C.....

I think you can get a better discount on a Class C than a Class B....

One more thing .... make sure they don't tell you that the roof is guaranteed for 10 years.. but not the seams...hey, the seams are the roof....

I looked at purchasing a Navion brand new..and when the sales guy told me that..my head nearly blew off....

Later I saw the Roadtrek Adventurous Class B... metal roof...no seams.... just saying..be aware of what they tell you.... good luck.
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 05:10 PM   #4
Gold Member

Adventurous, Those of us here on B+site have already considered the pros and cons of a B+. For my wife, the ability to have a good sized dry bath more than offsets me getting on the roof (easily done through LTV oversized skylight) and inspecting the seams. Self leveling cement is easily applied if a springtime inspection deems it necessary. Other than the older Chinooks, and the expensive Coachhouse Platinum, I’m not aware of any other 1piece shell on a B+

Back to Elodji’s question, recalling from her previous post that the choice was between an FX and MB, I searched for answers to her question. A few asked the same question but I didn’t find the answer. Myself, I have an older Freedom II , actually a Libero which is the Chev chassis version of a Serenity. It has 1500 lbs cargo capacity so could easily bear the 150lb or so weight penalty of a leveling system I recall that the MB version loses about a 1000 lb capacity so at 500 was pretty low. If your unit has only 500 my own advice would be to stick with manual leveling blocks as the 150 lb penalty is a lot. You can always upgrade later if you find it to be a pain.

Rather than take my advice on my recollection of different models and years, you should do the math comparing your own GVRW to UVW then subtracting all the stuff that goes into the unit - 2 people, water, sewage, equipment etc. https://auto.howstuffworks.com/auto-...g-capacity.htm See what your CCC is and decide if the penalty is acceptable.
Bertiboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 11:19 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Default Your comment about weight capacity???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertiboo View Post
Adventurous, Those of us here on B+site have already considered the pros and cons of a B+. For my wife, the ability to have a good sized dry bath more than offsets me getting on the roof (easily done through LTV oversized skylight) and inspecting the seams. Self leveling cement is easily applied if a springtime inspection deems it necessary. Other than the older Chinooks, and the expensive Coachhouse Platinum, I’m not aware of any other 1piece shell on a B+

Back to Elodji’s question, recalling from her previous post that the choice was between an FX and MB, I searched for answers to her question. A few asked the same question but I didn’t find the answer. Myself, I have an older Freedom II , actually a Libero which is the Chev chassis version of a Serenity. It has 1500 lbs cargo capacity so could easily bear the 150lb or so weight penalty of a leveling system I recall that the MB version loses about a 1000 lb capacity so at 500 was pretty low. If your unit has only 500 my own advice would be to stick with manual leveling blocks as the 150 lb penalty is a lot. You can always upgrade later if you find it to be a pain.

Rather than take my advice on my recollection of different models and years, you should do the math comparing your own GVRW to UVW then subtracting all the stuff that goes into the unit - 2 people, water, sewage, equipment etc. https://auto.howstuffworks.com/auto-...g-capacity.htm See what your CCC is and decide if the penalty is acceptable.
I understand your concern about weight capacity.... but, that's the least of my concerns.
My 2012 RS Adventurous can accommodate an additional 3,000 pounds of people and or gear..and since we only use this for the two of us...it's an impossible task to get to that number with clothes, food, camp chairs, table, and all the tanks filled up....

I don't have or see any reason for a leveling system on my Class B... just unnecessary..

Your experience is probably different will the Class C. ( There's no such thing as a B+ )
Old 06-03-2018, 11:44 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 View Post
WOW...met someone who just purchased one of these...boy was he surprised to discover that it didn't come with a spare tire.... they gave him an inflatable can of stuff....

Let me tell you..he was pissed off....

As for the Murphy Bed... I've seen them advertised... they look cool.. but my wife said she would never have this from any manufacturer..why..it eats up the entire living space in the front... when the bed is down... there's almost no room to get around it..

By the way LTV doesn't make Class B's anymore...are you talking about the Unity.. that's a Class B+... actually it's a Class C.....

I think you can get a better discount on a Class C than a Class B....

One more thing .... make sure they don't tell you that the roof is guaranteed for 10 years.. but not the seams...hey, the seams are the roof....

I looked at purchasing a Navion brand new..and when the sales guy told me that..my head nearly blew off....

Later I saw the Roadtrek Adventurous Class B... metal roof...no seams.... just saying..be aware of what they tell you.... good luck.

if he had a spare-could he actually change it himself? using a can of stuff to get you a small amount of miles seems more practical anyways
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 01:08 AM   #7
Platinum Member

Default Sorry... I think you might have missed the point...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrym51 View Post
if he had a spare-could he actually change it himself? using a can of stuff to get you a small amount of miles seems more practical anyways
NO..he probably wouldn't do that... but, the AAA would have been able to put on the spare tire wherever he was and he would have been fine....

I don't know what the range is for one of tire sealants..... but, it's certainly not as much as spare tire..... and your pretty much beholden to the nearest garage or station that has an exact one for your vehicle....at whatever price they are charging... not an enviable position to be in....

YES...in an emergency..it's better than nothing.. but tire sealants will not fix all problems...and tires are critical in an RV....

I hope you have a tire pressure monitoring system... they are well worth the extra money...I highly recommend it...
Old 06-04-2018, 01:20 AM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 View Post
I don't have or see any reason for a leveling system on my Class B... just unnecessary.)
When dealing with a flat, an under appreciated virtue of levelers is their ability to get the adjacent frame high enough off the ground to get a jack under it.
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 10:35 PM   #9

I had a 2011 Unity with the stabilising jacks. Those jacks only went down to the ground and lifted the unit just enough to take away the bounce. NOTE; they were not leveling jacks. No control of them left/right just up/down with auto shutoff.
tydb is offline   Reply With Quote