Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2016, 08:31 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default LTV Unity Refrigerator

I am passing the time as we wait for delivery of our new LTV Unity TB, downloading manuals to become familiar with the operation of appliances, etc.

I can't seem to locate the particular refrigerator installed in the Unity. Specs say "3-way double door 6.7 cu ft". I assumed it to be Dometic, but none of the models on their site look like the one in the Unity.

Description:

Stainless Steel look doors with latches integrated into the top of the fridge door and bottom of the freezer door (latch says "HPC"); control panel is hidden behind the door.

Shelves are clear plastic and the interior is lit by blue LEDs.

Can anyone with a 2015 or 2016 Unity tell me the make and model of this fridge? (the 2014 has a single door refrigerator).

Want to read up on operation as our last RV had a 2-way Dometic.

Thanks
Suza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 09:01 PM   #2
Bronze Member

Default Think I found it . . . . but have one question

I searched for "HPC" and found this fridge on the Dometic Australian site. Apparently it comes in two models: RMD8551 and RMD8555. The first is manual mode select, the second automatic mode select. Anyone know which is in the Unity? I thought my sales agent told me it was auto, but not sure.

RMD 8551LH - Dometic Corp
Old 05-22-2016, 10:09 PM   #3
Platinum Member

We researched the refrigerator used on a 2012 LTV Serenity. We found that is a Dometic product used in sailboats that automatically switches from 12 volt alternator, solar, propane, and AC. We did find maintenance manuals out of websites in Europe.

We also found that this refrigerator was not sold or supported by Dometic in the USA. It is supported by dealers in Canada. We did this research over a year ago so we are not sure about current Dometic policies. If you cannot find manuals on European marine websites let me know and I'll look back and see if I can locate the websites.

It apparently is a very sophisticated refrigerator. My friend was having difficulty with automatic power source switching which was leaving coach batteries dead. It was resolved by cleaning connectors. The refrigerator has a connection which tells it when the alternator is producing power.

Hopefully this helps. If it does not, let me know.
Harry 2003 190P Roadtrek
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 10:46 PM   #4
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbn7hj View Post
We researched the refrigerator used on a 2012 LTV Serenity. We found that is a Dometic product used in sailboats that automatically switches from 12 volt alternator, solar, propane, and AC. We did find maintenance manuals out of websites in Europe.

We also found that this refrigerator was not sold or supported by Dometic in the USA. It is supported by dealers in Canada. We did this research over a year ago so we are not sure about current Dometic policies. If you cannot find manuals on European marine websites let me know and I'll look back and see if I can locate the websites.

It apparently is a very sophisticated refrigerator. My friend was having difficulty with automatic power source switching which was leaving coach batteries dead. It was resolved by cleaning connectors. The refrigerator has a connection which tells it when the alternator is producing power.

Hopefully this helps. If it does not, let me know.
Harry 2003 190P Roadtrek
The instructions I found on the Dometic Australian site suggest that you not run the fridge on 12 volt except when the chassis engine is running. If run off the house batteries, it will drain them in about an hour. Still a good thing - you can run it off battery while traveling and be able to turn off the propane. In addition, with the generator, you would still have refrigeration if you run out of propane and don't have shore power. Definitely more options than with a 2-way fridge.

When we got our first RV, we didn't think about the propane burner firing once the batteries got low. Should have known that - just like the propane stove top The fridge alarm went off in the middle of the night (we were boondocking). It was the last day of our trip and, fortunately, we had several ice packs in the freezer. The fridge temp didn't drop below 45 deg before we were on the road and able to start the fridge when the pu charged the batteries back up to the level needed to fire the propane.

RE the warranty, I would assume LTV would cover the fridge under the 2 year RV warranty.

From what you say, I'm going to assume the fridge used by LTV is auto switching.

Thanks; you've been very helpful.
Old 05-22-2016, 11:33 PM   #5
Platinum Member

This is the only refrigerator I've ever heard of that will switch to and from DC automatically. It will switch from DC to propane after a certain amount of time, maybe 15 minutes, so don't park in front of the gas pumps too long.

We came to the conclusion the auto switch thing needed to be disabled while traveling. This isn't like a sailboat that needs to bring in solar when it is available to save propane. Bottom line is you need to read the auto switch part of the manual very carefully. Let us know if you make a spot in front of the fuel pumps.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 05:05 AM   #6

Hi.
Just bought a 2016 Unity TB and it has the Dometic three way power, two door refrigerator model # RMD 8555. Has blue LED lights and Auto power switch.

One problem we had when traveling in the humid climes is that the door switch loads up with moisture and puts the refir into alarm. This makes the refrigerator beep for 20 seconds every minute. (of course this only happens at 3 or 4 AM when it cools off)
Easy fix is to disassemble the plastic housing of the door switch and dry off the contacts in the blade connector. I found that out after talking with a LTV service rep.

Other than that the Dometic works very well. Good luck
Brewco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 02:00 AM   #7
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbn7hj View Post
This is the only refrigerator I've ever heard of that will switch to and from DC automatically. It will switch from DC to propane after a certain amount of time, maybe 15 minutes, so don't park in front of the gas pumps too long.

We came to the conclusion the auto switch thing needed to be disabled while traveling. This isn't like a sailboat that needs to bring in solar when it is available to save propane. Bottom line is you need to read the auto switch part of the manual very carefully. Let us know if you make a spot in front of the fuel pumps.
I believe you can set the controls to manual and it will not auto switch. Does anyone know if this is the case?
Old 08-26-2016, 09:13 AM   #8

Yes this is one of the settings of the Dometic. You can look up the operations online.
Brewco is offline   Reply With Quote