Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2018, 11:31 PM   #1

Default MHs on Promaster such as P W Luxor

Several reputable manuf. Are using the Chrysler promaster to make their b+ myself on, such as PW, Dynamax, and even Winn.

Are these decent and enjoyable for long term owners? I find the size fine for me, a single 70 yr old, and the cost of the new ones seem good compared to the extra 30-50k the same manuf. are charging for the Mercedes sprinters and Ford diesels that seem to be popular now.

Are there any big negatives owners are finding about the B+s on the Chrysler promaster that I need to know?

I want to travel and live in it 4-5 months per year, and with the smaller size gas mileage, and being all alone, might also consider it being my only vehicle.
Little Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 08:11 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bobojay

Never owned one in the class C style, (what you are calling B+) but do know that they are almost overweight as they leave the factory and handle terrible in comparison to the Transit and Sprinter.
And where did you come up with that $30-50k figure? The Transit based Winnebago Fuse in diesel is only about $10-12k higher than a Promaster based Trend, and are a much, much sturdier platform for a class C coach.

This is the wrong forum to talk about them though because they are not class B's.

Past RV's: 2013 WGO ERA 70A, Chevy PW Lexor
Itasca Navion, 29' Jayco 5th Wheel
bobojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 05:59 PM   #3
Platinum Member

You may need to try driving a couple of different chassis manufacturers to see what you like best, and whether spending more money is worth it to you. One question you might ask yourself is: Do you envision mostly traveling or mostly camping in one spot? The answer might help you with setting priorities.

We rented a Winnebago Trend B+ which was on a Promaster chassis, and did not like how it drove. It may have been close to overweight, I don't know. I have enjoyed driving Sprinter based class B vans much more, but I don't actually know if any of the B+ based Sprinters would drive similarly. I don't have experience with anything based on the Transit.

So for me, since I mostly drive some every day when we are using the van, a Sprinter based class B is worth the extra money. But that won't suit everyone's needs and there are plenty of people happy with their Promaster.
Mfturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 09:17 PM   #4
Platinum Member

I've driven or owned all 3 chassis. Sprinters in both B and C, driven 4 different Transit vans, all engines, and loaded with 3500lbs of cargo, driven a Promaster Trend, and own a WGO Travato class B.
In order of driving comfort and pleasure. Transit Ecoboost van has no equal in power, comfort and handling. Only issue is the narrow egress from the front seats to the back of unit, and that's no big deal for us.
Sprinter is comfortable, but in class C form it rocks and rolls down the road. Definitely needs some "help" from the aftermarket.
Sprinter in class B form is much better, but still feels top heavy and tippy, but I always hated the interaction between the engine and transmission. Too many dead spots in there and slow reactions. Some of that is just diesel inherent with an ancient transmission design.
Driving the Promaster Trend was a lesson in too much weight on an almost overloaded chassis. Less than 1k lbs of cargo capacity left, and that's dry.
I love how our Promaster van class B drives and handles. Sharpest turning radius in the industry, seating position takes some getting used to but once you get those seats adjusted, good to go. Handles really good even up to 85mph and that's loaded with water and 2 people and their stuff. It's a wider chassis than the other 2 so there's naturally less tippiness. Engine could use more power, but it works as is with that 6spd trans. Does have a narrow egress from the cab like the Transit.
About all I can say except to go out and drive them all to see what fits you best

Old 09-21-2018, 08:14 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Thanks for the reviews bobojay. Rare to hear from someone who has driven a variety of chassis and not just basing opinions on having just looked at or heard anecdotal stories from others.

I already have my Chevy Express class b ('2012 Airstream Avenue Suite), but enjoy hearing your driving experiences. Too often, experiences I have read are based on amenities and features of the coach only. The driving experience is just as important (if not more) to the enjoyment of a motor home.

Too bad they don't use the modern 8-speed transmission in the Promaster. New transmissions are finally coming to the '2019 Sprinter, but I did not want the diesel experience. I and am quite happy with the 6.0L V-8 power and handling of the Chevy Express 3500. And 15 mpg on trips at or near posted speed limits is very acceptable given the impressive power.

rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 10:40 PM   #6
Bronze Member

Default MHs on Promaster such as P W Luxor

I have a 2019 Travato (Promaster) and it’s awesome! Drives very nicely. I replaced the factory springs/bump stops with Sumo’s and it made a huge difference in handling. Drove through the Rocky Mountains and windy I-70 at high speeds. No problems! I have friends with MB Sprinters. They are most def the best looking B’s out there. But not a fan of MB service where I live. I’ve had several MB diesel sedans that may have left a bad tase in my mouth....
Roadie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 12:59 AM   #7
Platinum Member

rowiebowie, I agree on the transmission in the PM, but I think part of the issue is that neither the 8 or 10 spd Mopar transmissions will fit in the chassis with the V6, and the fact that the current 6 spd is much cheaper to manufacture.
After some stumbling with parts quality and software issues the first couple years of Promaster production ('14's and '15's), and the diesel misstep, it has developed into a real workhorse van with the usual European engineering quirks. And the 3.6 engine is a real jewel, quiet, very smooth. We've had 3 of those engines, 2 in Jeep Wranglers and the one in our Travato. Love it....

Old 09-22-2018, 03:06 AM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobojay View Post
rowiebowie, I agree on the transmission in the PM, but I think part of the issue is that neither the 8 or 10 spd Mopar transmissions will fit in the chassis with the V6, and the fact that the current 6 spd is much cheaper to manufacture.
After some stumbling with parts quality and software issues the first couple years of Promaster production ('14's and '15's), and the diesel misstep, it has developed into a real workhorse van with the usual European engineering quirks. And the 3.6 engine is a real jewel, quiet, very smooth. We've had 3 of those engines, 2 in Jeep Wranglers and the one in our Travato. Love it....
Chrysler uses the 8-speed with the 3.6 v-6 in their large sedans and RAM pickups, but I understand it might not work in the Promaster chasis. You are one of many who report good performance from the engine & chassis. It is a now a force in the class b industry. I particularly like the slightly wider chassis that (if the rear bed is packaged higher than the belt-line framing) can allow a 74" side-to-side rear bed. I don't know why that is not exploited since such a bed frees about of foot of space for a larger bathroom or galley. And a foot is huge in a small class b.
Old 09-22-2018, 04:19 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
Chrysler uses the 8-speed with the 3.6 v-6 in their large sedans and RAM pickups, but I understand it might not work in the Promaster chasis. You are one of many who report good performance from the engine & chassis. It is a now a force in the class b industry. I particularly like the slightly wider chassis that (if the rear bed is packaged higher than the belt-line framing) can allow a 74" side-to-side rear bed. I don't know why that is not exploited since such a bed frees about of foot of space for a larger bathroom or galley. And a foot is huge in a small class b.
Yes, but remember, the Ducato was originally engineered with only the inline 4 cylinder diesel engines that were available at the time, and manual transmissions in mind. I'm sure no one back then (2003-06ish) ever thought that platform would make an appearance in North America, let alone with a transverse mounted V6 and auto transaxle. Major platform and front cradle re-designs would be needed to get anything bigger in there. Not worth the $$$ to FCA to do it.
Supposedly the V6 and it's air flow and cooling requirements are why the new handsome Ducato front end won't work on our North American Promaster. Dunno if I believe that or not but in any case, I'm sure it's not worth the engineering $$$ for FCA to change it.
And yes, going from an NCV3 Sprinter van to this Promaster has been a lesson in driving a wider van. Squeezing width wise in a parking space has been a new lesson in centering

Old 09-22-2018, 07:56 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobojay View Post
Supposedly the V6 and it's air flow and cooling requirements are why the new handsome Ducato front end won't work on our North American Promaster.
Promaster and handsome? Now that's something I never thought I'd hear. I'm gonna have to search for some pics of the new Euro version.
Old 09-24-2018, 12:45 AM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
Promaster and handsome? Now that's something I never thought I'd hear. I'm gonna have to search for some pics of the new Euro version.
Handsome compared to our current PM front end.....

Old 09-27-2018, 08:53 PM   #12
Bronze Member

I have the Winnebago Trend 23L. Getting a Trend in an L or B style leaves you about 1400 lbs of cargo carrying capacity. If you need more than that in an RV this size, you are probably doing something wrong. The Trend 23D comes closer to maxing out the capacity of the Promaster because it has a small slideout. The B version of the Trend 23L and 23B are basically the Travato 59g and 59k, respectively. They have a lot more cargo capacity, from what I understand. (I wanted a 59g, but it was "too tight" according to my wife, so we compromised on the similar layout, but more roomy, Trend 23L.

I'm very impressed with how the Trend 23L handles. It is very peppy and has a tight turning radius. I haven't added the Sumo Springs, but I'm very pleased with the handling, anyway.
2002 Keystone Cougar 28BH
davedutah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 11:38 PM   #13
Platinum Member

^ and unfortunately, I think the Trend line has been discontinued.

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote