Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2019, 06:24 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Norcold 5.5 cu ft model

I have a new 2018 Roadtrek Zion equipped with this fridge a compressor model. Our first trip out it froze EVERYTHING in the fridge super hard, exploded pop cans etc. Took it to dealer and they replaced thermostat this week. I set it on "3" and the sample food I'd put in - water, juice, fruit - all froze overnight. So then I set it down to 1 and overnight the orange froze SOLID, but juice and water were just slushy.

Would it be less cold if the fridge were full? Or do I have a malfunctioning fridge again. Does someone else have some experience with these compressor fridges to tell me about? The dealer is 100 miles away so I hesitate to head there again but if I go to a more local RV dealer I have to pay $100 deduction on warranty work.
Weroadtrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 06:41 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Silly question to ask, but have you confirmed that a lower number is a warmer setting?
Bruceper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 12:31 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weroadtrip View Post
I have a new 2018 Roadtrek Zion equipped with this fridge a compressor model. Our first trip out it froze EVERYTHING in the fridge super hard, exploded pop cans etc. Took it to dealer and they replaced thermostat this week. I set it on "3" and the sample food I'd put in - water, juice, fruit - all froze overnight. So then I set it down to 1 and overnight the orange froze SOLID, but juice and water were just slushy.

Would it be less cold if the fridge were full? Or do I have a malfunctioning fridge again. Does someone else have some experience with these compressor fridges to tell me about? The dealer is 100 miles away so I hesitate to head there again but if I go to a more local RV dealer I have to pay $100 deduction on warranty work.
Yes, you have a malfunctioning unit. We have the same Norcold DC558 refrigerator and on setting 3 we get stable temps of 38 in the fridge and around 7 in the freezer compartment.

Check to ensure that the thermostat replacement you got is the correct one because it is fridge serial number dependent. The parts list provides details in this regard.

However, considering that this problem didn't gradually emerge but was there from the get go, I don't think that the thermostat is causing this and more likely that it involves something awry with the compressor control module. In its current state does the fridge still cycle on and off or does it just operate continuously?

I don't think RV dealers are particularly adept at working on coach appliances and IMO, you would do better dealing with a Norcold service depot in your vicinity. The warranty period for this unit is a little confusing. My manual hard copy specifies one year but the Norcold website cites 2 years for this model.

Links to the Owner's manual and Parts List

https://norcold.com/wp-content/uploa...l-12-17-18.pdf

https://norcold.com/wp-content/uploa...8_20190510.pdf
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 12:41 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:

It is possible that they just accidentally put in a freezer only thermostat, with the numbers you are getting. The thermostat appears to be working, but doesn't have enough range possibly.

They often use the same thermostat with just a different calibration on a screw adjustment that is pretty easily accessible. Perhaps Norcold could tell you if it is an adjustable thermostat, where the adjuster is, and which way to turn it, as the could save removing the frig for testing and or replacement.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 03:07 AM   #5
Platinum Member

There have been over 50 instances of factory misswiring of the thermostat. The on/off switch is in series with the thermostat and the mistake connects the compressor to the output of the switch, not the thermostat. As wired by the factory the thermostat is not in the circuit.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 03:28 AM   #6
Platinum Member

I think hbn7hj hit it right on this.

Here is the wiring diagram and fix for the same issue that others have had.

http://www.classbforum.com/forums/f5...html#post87553
Old 05-13-2019, 03:47 AM   #7
Platinum Member

Pretty much every Zion and Simplicity sold in the last year or so has this fridge and they were all miswired from the Norcold factory. They were starting to pop up with problems just as I was getting ready to head south so I thought I better check mine. Sure enough... on the lowest/warmest setting, you have a great big freezer. I called my dealer and made an appointment, assuming that it was a bad thermostat. I had caught a little discussion on FB about an odd wiring thing. So I told the tech to go check the wires... he went out and came back in about 10 minutes. He switched the two wires and it rather quickly went into normal cycling. A couple times every week since last October we have someone show up on FB with their new rig freezing everything. Most have just required a switch of the two wires, others have had variations. And a couple people actually did need a new thermostat.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 10:04 PM   #8
Bronze Member

They did put in a new thermostat last week and same problem. The compressor runs nonstop. I called them and they are asking Norcold for a new fridge. But I will print off that wiring diagram and have a look. Will get back to you. Thanks everyone.
Old 05-14-2019, 12:21 AM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
They did put in a new thermostat last week and same problem. The compressor runs nonstop. I called them and they are asking Norcold for a new fridge. But I will print off that wiring diagram and have a look. Will get back to you. Thanks everyone.
They probably wired the new one in the same way the old one was wired. Take one of the wires and move it to the other connection.
Old 05-14-2019, 09:32 PM   #10
Platinum Member

You are not the first person that the dealer just replaced the thermostat and it is still wired wrong. Just switch the two wires. If that doesn't work, check the diagram too.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
Old 05-14-2019, 09:42 PM   #11
Bud
Platinum Member

"I called them and they are asking Norcold for a new fridge.

Weroadtrip, I doubt that, a guess. The person probably meant that yes, they were going to contact Norcold, but not for a new one. Hey, it works, so they are going contact Norcold to find out how to fix it, and someone there knew that.
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 04:03 AM   #12
Bronze Member

Default Norcold Fridge

We did as hb….. suggested and reversed the contacts in the thermostat. Works wonderfully now. At "3" the fridge is 36 and the freezer is below 0. Thanks so much.

Now we are working our way through the ecotrek solar/lithium battery system. EVERYTHING is such a learning curve. I know it marks me as an old fart at 67 but the easier the tech people make it for us, the more we have to learn. Sometimes just how to turn it all off.
Old 05-20-2019, 04:47 AM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
reversed the contacts in the thermostat. Works wonderfully now. At "3" the fridge is 36 and the freezer is below 0. Thanks so much.
Reversing the contacts should not have fixed it. Moving one of the contacts would. What did you really do?
Old 05-20-2019, 02:30 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Which is exactly what fixed mine last September. The tech merely switched the two wires. This has worked for a couple dozen of us. Others only had to move one wire. Their factory crew obviously just put any old wire at random onto the thermostat.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
Old 05-20-2019, 02:39 PM   #15
Platinum Member

If it was miswired like the one was in the link posted earlier which also had the wiring diagram, 1 wire would have to be moved to the unused terminal, not just the two wires reversed on the terminals they were on.
Old 05-20-2019, 07:15 PM   #16
Bronze Member

When we opened the thermostat up it did not match the drawing from the link. We called the tech at our dealer and he said to go ahead and just move the connectors into different positions. There were two active connectors and one blank. We don't remember exactly where we moved them - thought it was just a reversal but fridge does work now. Sorry for not being more precise.