Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2016, 06:39 AM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Ordered new MH today

Deciding on a future downsize from our 30' 5th-wheel, my husband and I drove to Sandy, OR to see if B or B+ MHs were the answer. After 40 years of marriage, I should know better than to take my husband on such a mission He's ready to make the switch - NOW!

After looking at the many options, we decided B+ was better for our style of RV'n.
DH: Bs were just too confining and the B+ a better value.
Me: I like the B vans' maneuverability/smaller platform and was especially fond of the PW Plateau. I could be comfortable in one, if I was solo but there's just not enough space to spend any amount of time, as a couple; lack of cargo space and ability to take our toys were considerations that tipped the scales toward a B+, for me.

At the dealership, we compared different models, floor plans, features etc. and narrowed our choices down to 3, possibly 4 B+s. None of the units available for immediate purchase were what we truly wanted, so we resigned ourselves to the reality of having one built with an estimated 5-6 mos lead time for the next available production slot - No surprise to me. I'm just glad my husband has demonstrated a rare patience and agreed to wait to get what we want and not settle for one off the lot. He's come a long way, in forty years

We made the 4 1/2 hr trip home, knowing time is ticking and the "slot" could be gone before we made our choice. (I don't need to mention that this is a huge investment with many decisions to make). After some serious research and evaluation of the pros and cons of each possibility, the LTV Unity TB became quickly apparent as our favorite, hands down. Whew!! Glad to have that out of the way.

Now, the excruciating task of choosing options and the paint/cabinets/decor/upholstery:

Paint color - I first thought I liked the white suede, but kept gravitating back to Euro Sport (black & white with full length painted side and rear "windows". I guess I don't know my husband as well as I thought; I was sure he would opt for silver, but he chose Euro Sport. Another decision in the bag

Cabinets - I initially liked the warmth of the cherry wood finish, but do not want lighter colored upholstery; I'm afraid of the interior being too gloomy with dark cabinets and dark upholstery. I began to think about the maple cabinet finish; our youngest son chose it immediately (from looking at brochures). Decided to compare more closely on the return visit.

Decor - Need to look at these in person to decide.

Upholstery - choice between Putty (the new clay) and Tan (replaces sand). Again, depends on the choice of cabinets an seeing the seats in person.

Ready for a return to the dealership. DH stayed home (sick) leaving me on my own to make the final decisions. I told myself I've been faced with more difficult challenges, took off in the car and headed north.

Spent the night with our son in Estacada, a 1/2 hr drive from Sandy. He reviewed my research and agreed to meet me at the dealer's during his prep/lunch break (he teaches in Sandy). Good to get another opinion and viewpoint. I think the sales agent appreciated his comments and reassurance that the choices I was considering were good. This kept me from waffling back an forth and getting no where with the RV configuration

Long story short (well, not quite, but . . . . . . )

After well over 6 hours at the dealership, I confirmed the Unity TB as our choice - Euro Sport/Maple w/glamour pkg/Mirage decor/Putty upholstery

The white Corian counters that come with the glamour pkg look very classy with the light wood. The Mirage fabrics compliment the putty upholstery and, along with the contrast between light cabinets/walls and dark Ultra leather, looks amazing!

Options: Alum wheels; LP generator; Matte glamour pkg; stabilizer jacks; surge protector; fan upgrade; safe; keyless entry; macerator pump

Ours will be a 2017 model. One of the changes for this year is the replacement of the LP/110v conventional water heater with a Truma Aqua Go semi-tankless) on demand heater. We prefer the previous model/type:
1. concerns about availability of service and repair (new type of heater)
2. want both electric and LP
3. don't see the benefit of endless hot water when you most often don't have the luxury of continuous showers
4. Truma technology includes more components with potential for problems (IMO)
5. Keep it simple fits better into our style of RV life.

In light of this, our sales agent made a call to "Dean" who agree to this modification, as a custom order, with a $250 customization fee.

Still need to perfect the kayak/bike rack. Am also talking with Bryce about additional break-in security as well as the application of Clear-Bra to the chassis (Oregon roads are famous for rock damage)

At 3:30 today I placed an order for our new MH. Waiting for confirmation of a production slot and an estimated delivery date. Hopefully Johnson RV and LTV practice BMW's mantra of "under promise, over deliver". The wait is going to be excruciating . . . . . . updates to follow
Suza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 05:35 AM   #2

Congrats! I hope the wait isn't too agonizing for you. We also downsized from a fifth wheel and couldn't be happier. DH doesn't miss the hitching and unhitching and backing into tight spaces one bit. Please give a full report when it arrives.
Old 05-13-2016, 06:26 AM   #3
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicallie View Post
Congrats! I hope the wait isn't too agonizing for you. We also downsized from a fifth wheel and couldn't be happier. DH doesn't miss the hitching and unhitching and backing into tight spaces one bit. Please give a full report when it arrives.
Thanks for the encouragement. This is a big leap! I'm already wondering where I'm going to put things and what has to be left behind. But, I know we will love it. Not going to miss having to always make reservations ahead of time to insure there is a spot that we can fit into.

Will update progress and post pictures when we finally take possession
Suza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 10:30 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Congrats! From what I've seen, Leisure Travel builds very high quality units.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 01:19 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Congratulations! Excellent choice. Agree on the water heater psychology.. Smaller is better!
Scottbaldassari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 01:04 AM   #6

Talking

We have the same story. Downsizing from a 35 foot fifth wheel. Like you, we are tired of the limited campsite options and the STRESS of having to maneuver that beast. I was planning to place my order tomorrow. Funny, your color choices match mine exactly!

Congrats on your new purchase!

Britt
brittdrake is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
unity