Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2020, 12:32 AM   #1

Default Problems with winnebago revel

Winnebago Revel '19 PROBLEMS with Awning deploying at freeway speed. Camping World tells me Winnebago won't honor the warranty and that Winnebago blames the awning opening while underway on a Mercedes Sprinter Van faulty 50 cent Mercedes "PCM" switch that they connected the awning mechanism to. Winnebago has so far refused to replace the awning that was destroyed when it deployed while underway at freeway speed almost causing a life threatening accidents.

Other problems in workmanship and many noise issues are becoming apparent as well. The van door apparently was not constructed or seals correctly and allowed the van door to become filled with water causing other problems and bad vibrations and damage within the door.

The loft bed that elevates up and down to to provide access to storage has become jammed. This was fixed by Winnebago but the vehicle was out of service for a month while Winnebago authorized parts. At least this was fixed and wasn't a dangerous driving condition like the "automatic" awning!

The exhaust is in a very bad place and gets hit and becomes collapsed. While this is fixed on the 2020 model this does not help those of us who bought a 2019 model. Winnebago will do nothing about this.

While I like the concept of the Winnebago Revel I have had multiple problems with major systems and the vehicle has been in the Camping World shop for over two months while we await incremental approval for each part that breaks from Winnebago. In the meantime I do not have use of the vehicle. Winnebago does not seem to back the warranty and just continues to blame mercedes for their awning failure!!

even very minor plastic parts take a full month to procure from Winnebago. The result is that my $150,000 Mercedes Sprinter Winnebago Revel van sits in a parking lot at Camping World while Winnebago balks at paying for 50 cent parts. I do not recommend anyone to buy anything that says Winnebago on it even if it is on a Mercedes chassis. Winnebago does not back its warranties.

Beyond even not honoring their warrantly apparently Winnebago does not care about the fact that there very may well be and probably are many more unsupsecting Winnebago Revel owners that are driving their vans which may have faulty Mercedes PCM switches as well and their awnings could come out at any time and cause life theatening accidents. In my opinion all Winnebago Revels should be recalled to investigate this issue with the "carefree Awning.
mlm5@comcast.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 09:31 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Sounds like you're having a difficult time. All of the problems are solvable.

If the awning self deployed using its own motor while the vehicle was at freeway speeds then that is a problem that Winnebago should be involved in solving. That's just my opinion but it would seem to be in their best interest to know the precise cause and to ensure it doesn't happen again. I wouldn't think that inaction is an option.

Keep us up to date with any developments. Hopefully, things will get solved quickly so that you can enjoy the RV again.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 11:29 AM   #3
Platinum Member

The OP is also dealing with Camping World, which from what we have seen and heard is an adventure in itself as the don't exactly have a stellar reputation for taking care of their customers.

Probable best to go direct to Winnebago in writing and start working up the food chain there firmly and politely.

There is really no reason that customers should be left hanging for weeks and months on new and expensive products.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 05:44 PM   #4
Platinum Member

MB recommends connection for outfitters which is not controlled by any PCM switches, at least on NCV3 Sprinter models. See attached document. It is possible that Winnebago didn’t follow their guidelines and connected to a wrong place. My house batteries are connected to alternator via Magnum ME-SBC and I never had any interaction issues with MB system.

It is Winnebago Issue, perhaps Camping World folks are not describing awning issue to Winnebago correctly.

Do you have Revel's electric diagram by Winnebago? and can post this ?PCM? connection.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf aux connect.pdf (2.78 MB, 16 views)
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 06:48 PM   #5
Platinum Member

mlm5, Your experiences with your Revel are indeed frustrating. Here's a blog by 2018 Revel owners, perhaps to compare notes with. https://gnrwgn.com/
Old 01-25-2020, 09:34 PM   #6
Platinum Member

And even if you don't do Facebook, create an account, give the least amount of info, tighten-up sharing settings, and join the Revel owners FB group.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/787040984809423/

Post your situation there for the best advice IMO.
Old 01-28-2020, 06:08 AM   #7

Marco,

Thanks for your thoughtful reply and I agree with you. All the problems are solvable by someone paying to repair and replace the poorly designed and dangerous awning. The big problem is that Winnebago continues to deny any responsibility for backing up their warranty. Sure for $2000 someone could fix the awning but what about the other thousands of Revels on the highways that have awnings that could deploy into the car next to them potentially taking out a family?
Old 01-28-2020, 06:15 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
MB recommends connection for outfitters which is not controlled by any PCM switches, at least on NCV3 Sprinter models. See attached document. It is possible that Winnebago didn’t follow their guidelines and connected to a wrong place. My house batteries are connected to alternator via Magnum ME-SBC and I never had any interaction issues with MB system.

It is Winnebago Issue, perhaps Camping World folks are not describing awning issue to Winnebago correctly.

Do you have Revel's electric diagram by Winnebago? and can post this ?PCM? connection.
Yes I think this is an engineering design flaw that probably should be checked on all Revels. You bring up a very valid point: If indeed MB advised Winnebago to not connect the awning to the PCM with an automatic switch but rather a manual one then Winnebago should be responsible for not just replacing the PCM switch but also for any damage that occurred because of their not following design guidelines. I am not just concerned about my vehicle which is unusable but also all the other Revels out there. HJow many others did Winnebago wire in noncompliance with MB standards. Will this problem result in yet more accidents?
Old 01-28-2020, 06:22 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
The OP is also dealing with Camping World, which from what we have seen and heard is an adventure in itself as the don't exactly have a stellar reputation for taking care of their customers.

Probable best to go direct to Winnebago in writing and start working up the food chain there firmly and politely.

There is really no reason that customers should be left hanging for weeks and months on new and expensive products.
Yes you're probably right. Winnebago needs to fix this problem and not just in my vehicle but all of them that may have this problem. In the meantime please be careful and never ever pass a Winnebago Revel on the right side. Maybe Winnebago should just print a sticker and put it on every Revel-- "Please don't pass on the right--awning can deploy at anytime"
Old 01-29-2020, 05:08 PM   #10

Default Generators

What size generator do I need for 2020 Winnebago revel
Srwaterski@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 11:33 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srwaterski@yahoo.com View Post
What size generator do I need for 2020 Winnebago revel
Welcome to the forum Srwaterski!

If you purchase most motorhomes with the factory gen options, it will be big enough to run your rv. I'm also not aware of any factory options to change the generator size, but many offer an underhood generator option (but it is usually offered in-place-of the standard Onan generator).

If you are asking about a portable generator to bring along (not built into the rv), the Honda 2200i and Yamaha 2300i usually work so long as the roof ac has an Easy Start installed to lower the required compressor starting voltage.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 04:19 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bobojay

To the OP. All RVs that have the Carefree awnings are having the self deploy issues. The awning itself is warranted by Carefree, not WGO. You need to contact them directly. We never use ours on our Travato anyway so I pulled the fuse and zip tied the awning shut, so no worries.
There's a big Facebook group for the Revel. LOTS of talk about issues with them, especially the early ones. Advise to go there and get some guidance.
Also, there are very few Camping World locations out there that are worth even walking in the front door, let alone using their service facilities.
Live and learn I guess. Good luck!

Past RV's: 2013 WGO ERA 70A, Chevy PW Lexor
Itasca Navion, 29' Jayco 5th Wheel
bobojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 03:28 PM   #13
Bronze Member

Hi, is it connected with generator? or if not then how i can i adjust the same. appreciate experience guyz feedback. thanks. ..
Jill Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 10:01 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill Ellis View Post
Hi, is it connected with generator? or if not then how i can i adjust the same. appreciate experience guyz feedback. thanks. ..
Hello Jill. Are you a bot or is there a language problem? Your replies are oddly phrased and off topic.

Thanks, from a not-a-bot.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 12:33 AM   #15
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
Hello Jill. Are you a bot or is there a language problem? Your replies are oddly phrased and off topic.

Thanks, from a not-a-bot.
I'd say it's a bot. I did a quick check of the posting history of that account, and every post is off topic, but contains words that are vaguely related. Not sure what the purpose would be though, maybe just to get post count up high enough to not raise suspicion for a future scam attempt...
Old 02-02-2020, 02:50 AM   #16
Platinum Member

Interesting. I did same perusal of posts. Many are weirdly unrelated to topic being discussed or related by some key word(s). Why would anyone "bot" this forum? Practice? Fine-tuning a bot's ability to respond intelligently?
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote