Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2016, 03:44 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Toy rack

I posted this on the Class B forum, but I wanted to reach out to the B+'ers:

Our short listed B+ is now the LTV Unity TB, but we are still trying to resolve the issue of hauling our bikes/kayaks without towing them. Our dealer has been installing these:

The Original Vertical RV Kayak Racks - Made In The USA. RV KAYAK RACK

Davydd has replied that the height would be prohibitive, but there are photos in the Yakups gallery showing the rack on what appears to be a LTV Unity as well as on the LTV Freedom II (Serenity?). I have emailed Yakups for information about the photos - how long the kayaks are, ground clearance, etc. Our kayaks are 9'5" and 10'10".

Does anyone have knowledge of this rack or seen it in use? Or other solutions? This particular rack is expensive, but proportionate to the cost of the Unity and our bikes/kayaks and we don't want to leave our toys behind. I sure hope this works.

Link to the photo gallery:

The Original Vertical RV Kayak Racks - Made In The USA. RV KAYAK RACK
Suza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 05:03 PM   #2
Platinum Member

You're changing your criteria. When someone posts in a Class B Forum I am assuming Class Bs not Class C which a Unity is. You never said what you had in the other thread. I said prohibitive for any Class B for any kayak over 8 feet that is if you don't mind a kayak sticking up in the air and acting like a drag. The gallery is mostly all Class Cs and not one single Class B. I think the reason you don't see Class B examples is because those racks would not work with back double doors.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 07:59 PM   #3
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
You're changing your criteria. When someone posts in a Class B Forum I am assuming Class Bs not Class C which a Unity is. You never said what you had in the other thread. I said prohibitive for any Class B for any kayak over 8 feet that is if you don't mind a kayak sticking up in the air and acting like a drag. The gallery is mostly all Class Cs and not one single Class B. I think the reason you don't see Class B examples is because those racks would not work with back double doors.
Confusion, to say the least. Now we are both on the same page
Old 05-12-2016, 04:26 AM   #4
Bronze Member

Default Toy Rack Update

Reporting back our progress at finding a good solution to taking our bikes and kayaks along on our RV trips.

Regarding the hitch mounted kayak/bike rack the tech expert at Johnson RV told me about a few weeks ago - When I asked the hitch manufacturer about compatibility with our kayaks, the Co President suggested that 10' is the longest kayak that can be reasonably carried and the SOT might be too deep to leave room for a bike next to it.

Today, I spent some time with Bryce at Johnson RV. He said "no problem" with the 11" kayak; he has helped design hitches to accommodate 12 ft kayaks and they work fine. After seeing the specs for my SOT, he feels it will still leave room for the bikes - In my mind, worse case, I would need to get a shallower yak, but he really thinks he can make it work.

Bottom line is, now that we have the toy hauling issue more or less resolved, we can move forward with our plan to downsize to a B+ MH (see thread: New MH ordered today)