Old 08-09-2018, 01:06 AM   #1
Bronze Member

Default 12v tv choices

Hi, looking for some advise here,

We have a 1999 Xplorer that came to us with the original 9" tv with VCR player built in. I promptly removed it because we have never watched tv when we go camping and the 9" size made it difficult to watch anyway. Most of the time we entertain ourselves in the evenings with card games like Gin Rummy, or Spite & Malice, or Yahtsy and listen to the radio and sometimes talking books.

So, now we are preparing to retire in a few months and plan on some cross country trips with open-ended schedule and now think a tv would be nice.
I am a complete non-tech person (at least the modern kind of high tech, I do keep my Austin Healey running fine however). My cell phone is a 15 or 20 year old flip phone - I know nothing about "streaming", or making a "hot spot" (or even what those are ) and, more importantly, how to go about doing that. I've never even sent a "text", so complete rube here.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a tv and antenna?

I think a 22" to 24" can be made to fit but the reviews I have read on 12v tvs is depressing - there are a lot of complaints about most of them, including bad sound, failing DVD players, failing remote controls, poor customer service, etc.

So I am interested in the most trouble free unit I can get but, like everybody, I don't want to spend too much. I also need to learn about antennas vs satellite?

Beyond watching news and the occasional DVD, the one thing we both want to watch is Formula One racing and I wonder how could a person do that while on an extended trip?

Any help/ideas/opinions will be very welcome. I have about 4 months before we are freeeeeee!

Thanks,
Dave & Judy

D&J Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 01:23 AM   #2
Platinum Member

One short discussion here:

http://www.classbforum.com/forums/f2...ters-7727.html

There was another one also, but I will have to find it.

Somewhat related

http://www.classbforum.com/forums/f2...-12v-7982.html

What we just upgraded to this year from a 12v tv

http://www.classbforum.com/forums/f5...e-tv-7411.html

A bit earlier when we gave up on 12v dvd players

http://www.classbforum.com/forums/f8...gain-5695.html

Bottom line for us is is that it is starting to look very much like getting native 12v items doesn't really save any power to speak of, but really limits choices of products. We still have a lot of 12v stuff in the van, but we will probably be more amenable to adding 120v small items also, and that is why we added the small inverter powered 120v charging area that is in one of the discussions linked above.

booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 02:00 AM   #3
Gold Member

For the antenna, we went with a "Wingman" UHF upgrade to the existing Winegard crank-up TV antenna. It seems to have improved DTV reception. If you don't have a roof antenna, the suction-cup flat digital TV antennas actually work pretty well.

For the TV, we went with an Insignia-brand 24" LCD unit and a separate Sony Blue-Ray player. Both the TV and the disc player run on 12-volts out of the box (by way of wall-warts), but I decided to power them with a pure-sine inverter, which I'd already installed for other purposes.

To watch racing, I think you'll need a satellite receiver. On that topic, I have no experience.
rvsprinterguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 06:47 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Default Congratulations on your 15 to 20 years FLIP phone......

Quote:
Originally Posted by D&J Phillips View Post
Hi, looking for some advise here,

We have a 1999 Xplorer that came to us with the original 9" tv with VCR player built in. I promptly removed it because we have never watched tv when we go camping and the 9" size made it difficult to watch anyway. Most of the time we entertain ourselves in the evenings with card games like Gin Rummy, or Spite & Malice, or Yahtsy and listen to the radio and sometimes talking books.

So, now we are preparing to retire in a few months and plan on some cross country trips with open-ended schedule and now think a tv would be nice.
I am a complete non-tech person (at least the modern kind of high tech, I do keep my Austin Healey running fine however). My cell phone is a 15 or 20 year old flip phone - I know nothing about "streaming", or making a "hot spot" (or even what those are ) and, more importantly, how to go about doing that. I've never even sent a "text", so complete rube here.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a tv and antenna?

I think a 22" to 24" can be made to fit but the reviews I have read on 12v tvs is depressing - there are a lot of complaints about most of them, including bad sound, failing DVD players, failing remote controls, poor customer service, etc.

So I am interested in the most trouble free unit I can get but, like everybody, I don't want to spend too much. I also need to learn about antennas vs satellite?

Beyond watching news and the occasional DVD, the one thing we both want to watch is Formula One racing and I wonder how could a person do that while on an extended trip?

Any help/ideas/opinions will be very welcome. I have about 4 months before we are freeeeeee!

Thanks,
Dave & Judy
OK... well...you know who else carries a "FLIP phone.... Raymond Reddington.....

As far as the 12 volt TV.....I've looked into this and everyone has dissuaded me from considering it......WHY??? Poorer picture quality....... The 110 volt TV will work a lot better....how much TV are you really watching??????

Here's even a better suggestion.... get an Android tablet, download the videos to your tablet and play those in your coach with a good speaker like the Bose Mini......

Streaming is incredibly easy....go to the store and they'll explain all of this to you....

AND the news...or TV...... if you have Direct TV..and get a satellite dish for the RV... Direct TV will activate your rig as a separate room in your house....for practically nothing per month....
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 12:00 PM   #5
Bud
Platinum Member

Hi Dave and Judy,

If satellite, satellite receivers are 110 volt and DISH has an advantage over Directv - oh, I've had Directv for 22+ years at home. DISH is HD with a much smaller antenna than Directv. You can have only DISH and activate it by paying the bill, deactivate it by not paying the next bill. You can also get the national network local channels (ABC, NBC, CBS, PBS...) by simply entering a zip code.

I won't go back over the multiple reasons that 110 volt wins out, just like a compressor refer. This same sentence is applicable for the most part with both tv stuff and a refer:

The reason 12 volt tv stuff exists and an absorption refer exists is that there is not enough reliable electrical power. One can have the electrical power of a 1950 rv or ............... It does not take much for the tv stuff compared to the refer.

Have fun learning, shopping.

Bud
Bud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 05:47 PM   #6

Default 120V TV on 12V !

Best Buy Insignia brand has a 22" TV. The key to look for is one that has an adapter that powers the TV instead of a TV with a standard 120V wire going in the back.

The adapter on my 22" model just happens to convert 120V AC to 13V DC and that's what powers the TV! (look on the black power adapter module that comes with the TV... it will list output voltage...anything from 12 to 14V DC should work fine on 12V)

Buy a matching connector and connect to a 12V source in the RV, being sure that you get the + and - to the right connection on the plug.

That's it! Has been working for a few years with no issues. About $100 - a lot cheaper than a "made-for-RV" 12V TV.

Quality-wise, there is no difference between a 120V TV with a 12V power supply and a 12V TV connected directly to DC.. same picture, same sound, same reception capability... of course an Insignia TV isn't quite as good as a Samsung, but it is great for smaller TV sizes (up to 32")

Sorry but....powerwise, a TV uses the same amount of power (watts) on 120V AC or 12V DC... on 120V it uses less amps, on 12V it uses more amps, but the total amount of power it uses from your RV power source is the same!
Old 08-09-2018, 06:13 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by proeddie View Post
Sorry but....powerwise, a TV uses the same amount of power (watts) on 120V AC or 12V DC... on 120V it uses less amps, on 12V it uses more amps, but the total amount of power it uses from your RV power source is the same!

This is sort true, with explanation. The power the TV uses is the same but it has to receive the power in the form it needs, be it 110v or 12v or 19v. Most TVs covert 110v to some other voltage either with a wall brick or internally, the 12v TVs that are specifically for vehicles may or may not be leaving the voltage at 12v and if they do they likely run it through a stabilizer.

The point is that the variation in power use we are talking about INCLUDES whatever other power using items that are required to deliver the correct power to the TV. That can be an inverter that uses 6 amps of wasted power or one that uses .2 amps. It can also include a DC to DC converter to change the DC voltage than might use as much power as an inverter does. If it is a true 12v TV that ha a wall brick that you don't use, you should really use a voltage stabilizer as in vehicles the voltage varies a large amount and those use extra power too, about the same as a small inverter.

So when you go shopping for a TV for the van, you can chose whatever voltage you want and adapt it, but when you compare power use between systems you have to include all the power that is being used. Many of us have been surprised lately as we have carefully looked at various things that can be run on 110 of an inverter or through a 12v adapter or as just 12v direct with stabilizing. In most cases the total power use was quite close, even for the latest versions of dorm frigs which used to consume way more power than a DC frig. A lot of it has to do with the fact the new smaller inverters are getting much more efficient and with very low parasitic draw compared to the large inverters that run the whole van. Our two small Samlex inverter have about .3amps parasitic and that appears to not carry over to when in use so not wasted when running. Our large Magnum inverter in the van has 1.5 amps of parasitic.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 08:29 PM   #8
Platinum Member

I replaced one of my original 120VAC Sansui 19 with DVD TVs after the picture went plank. I got a similar sized Jensen 12V with DVD player. It gets better reception than the Sansui. Photo attached.
IMG_1530.jpg
Old 08-10-2018, 02:22 PM   #9
Platinum Member

I bought this small one to replace a similar model that got damaged. Since the tv in my rv hangs off the rear wardrobe only about 2 feet from my face, a 13" was big enough.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Axess-Produ...72.m2749.l2649

The replacement was the same number as my old one, but a revised design with better sound and easier to use remote. Has built in DVD and ports for every kind of connection. Runs on 12v and for $128.64 & free shipping it was right for me. Durability is not something I can speak to, but I'll keep my fingers crossed.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 04:35 PM   #10
Bronze Member

Wow, As I expected you all have come thru with a lot of info to digest.

First, I do apologize for my slow responses, as I said before I am not yet retired and am still running my small business and sometimes get overloaded with work.

I like the idea of the small inverter with little parasitic loss simply because there are more 120v tv choices out there (and cheap ones too).

Based on other threads I have been reading here as well as this one, I am thinking I should change my approach - the one other electrical upgrade I would love is a compressor refer. We have had all the struggles others have described with the absorption refer - and would really like a stable refer when we take off on 'round the country trips'.

If I go for a small inverter and a 120v tv will I be wasting my money on a small inverter?

Perhaps I might be better with a complete make-over with a couple of solar panels and a bigger inverter that can run the tv as well as the refer?

I have read several threads where a "battery monitor" is the first thing folks need and I think my stock 'battery monitor' is not up to the standards described on the forum.
IMG_1475.jpg
So I now think I should back up a bit and start with a battery monitor and then learn what I need in the way of solar and batteries and associated equipment - admittedly a bit daunting because there are so many elements I don't understand.

Not sure if I should start another tread but here is some basic background info if it helps:

We are usually 'travelers' more than 'campers' - would be rare for us to stay in one spot more than two or three days, so I am not looking for 'totally off grid for weeks' type of boondocking. We do however, try to stay on BLM or other remote camps as much as possible and hardly ever look for electrical hook-up camping spots. This is a 1999 Xplorer on a Dodge chassis and the current set-up is a small solar panel about 12" square and two flooded 12v deep cycle batteries, and an Onan 2800 as back-up.

I'm trying to piece together in my own mind what I should be using because I have little faith in the local RV shops - have had either very high prices and/or really shoddy work so far and would rather screw it up myself that to pay a lot for someone else to screw it up for me.

While I am admittedly poor with electronics, I am a life long machinist/mechanic/welder/fabricator so I am good with that side of things I just don't know what components I need.

Again, ideas are welcome because I am floundering.
Thanks again all,
Dave

D&J Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote