Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2014, 07:04 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Added 3G router

I had a Ericsson W35 Mobile Broadband Router just collecting dust after we switched providers earlier this year. I decided to install it in the van.

Specs: http://www.ericssonw35.com/specifications.html

It gives us another connection option. The van already has an external wifi antenna and a D-Link router that was flashed with DD-WRT firmware to turn it into a repeater to extend my wifi range. If I can't get wifi or the source is questionable I can use the 3G connection.

It probably all seems a bit "old tech" now to anyone with the latest iPhone or Android phone but all this lets me access the internet with my iPod or on the rare occasion my laptop either via wifi or 3G (or EDGE or GPRS if that all that is available). My old Blackberry phone will wirelessly tether with my laptop but it won't allow the same with my iPod.

My GPS can connect to either router in the van to get weather updates.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg w35_side_lge.jpg (22.5 KB, 1553 views)
File Type: jpg w35_back_large.jpg (37.4 KB, 1552 views)
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 10:42 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: Added 3G router

I have to remember to turn off software updates when using the data connection. I remembered to set Windows update to notify me about updates but not download them automatically. I forgot that Firefox likes to update often. The setup to get Firefox to notify you of but not automatically download updates is under Tools -> Options.

Yes, I still use Firefox approx 25% of Internet users do. 60% use Chrome. Internet Explorer is down to approx 8%.

Anyway, I used my budget $10/month 150MB data Sim card for one night on this last trip and used up 55MB! I realized Firefox had been updating while I browsed the internet. Still, it's a fun option to have. The same sim card works in my phone and would use less data than using the laptop.
Old 09-20-2014, 11:18 PM   #3
Platinum Member

You should also turn off any cloud backup services if you are using them.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 11:55 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo
I have to remember to turn off software updates when using the data connection. I remembered to set Windows update to notify me about updates but not download them automatically. I forgot that Firefox likes to update often. The setup to get Firefox to notify you of but not automatically download updates is under Tools -> Options.

Yes, I still use Firefox approx 25% of Internet users do. 60% use Chrome. Internet Explorer is down to approx 8%.

Anyway, I used my budget $10/month 150MB data Sim card for one night on this last trip and used up 55MB! I realized Firefox had been updating while I browsed the internet. Still, it's a fun option to have. The same sim card works in my phone and would use less data than using the laptop.
I finally gave up on Firefox when it updated to the newest version. Apparently they have some Flash player issue which slows it to a crawl if the site uses flash. Went to IE11, as I just didn't care for the way I could not customize the page layout. As you say, Firefox will continually update itself if you don't have update on manual, and half the time you lose all your settings, or wind up with a whole new version.

I have heard way different market share numbers though. I just grabbed this quickly, so I don't know if it is right, or not.

http://www.netmarketshare.com/browse...&qptimeframe=M
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 01:04 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd
You should also turn off any cloud backup services if you are using them.
Thanks. That is turned on in my iPod.
Old 09-21-2014, 01:23 AM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster
Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo

I finally gave up on Firefox when it updated to the newest version. Apparently they have some Flash player issue which slows it to a crawl if the site uses flash. Went to IE11, as I just didn't care for the way I could not customize the page layout. As you say, Firefox will continually update itself if you don't have update on manual, and half the time you lose all your settings, or wind up with a whole new version.

I have heard way different market share numbers though. I just grabbed this quickly, so I don't know if it is right, or not.

http://www.netmarketshare.com/browse...&qptimeframe=M
Wow, the numbers I posted were wrong .......... way wrong. They were from one site's logs.

There is quite a difference depending on which organization is reporting the data: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_shar ... b_browsers
Of the 4 on the Wikipedia page, only NetApplications shows IE as being the leading browser. Firefox looks to be third no matter who is reporting.
Old 03-28-2015, 10:00 PM   #7
Platinum Member

I went ahead and unlocked the Ericsson W35 using the instructions found on Rogers Community forums here: http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/fo ... 145/page/6

I accessed the command line interface by using telnet from the cmd prompt in Windows with the Ericsson W35 connected to the PC via Ethernet cable.

Quote:
telnet 192.168.1.1
As mentioned on the linked forum post all of the config settings were wiped out. I should have written them down first!
You have to turn WiFi on and change the default password etc. after logging in using a web browser. I set the Cellular Band to North America and set up the WiFi ssid and security.

I put the Sim from my phone in the device and was able to access the web and telephone feature worked so I think it's all ok. I unlocked it because I'd like to use a US data sim card when traveling in the US.
Old 04-23-2015, 04:28 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Just an update. I bought a Straight Talk bring-your-own-phone kit from a Walmart in Maine for $55 or $60. It came with a variety of Sim cards and included unlimited nationwide talk, text and data for 30 days. The Sim worked fine in both the unlocked Ericsson W35 router and my unlocked phone.

By comparison, a $40 30 day US roaming pack here only gives 200mb data.
Old 04-23-2015, 05:00 PM   #9
Platinum Member

We stay a lot more basic in our connections--flip phones and a hotspot tablet for the laptop. Haven't change the phones because they get much better signal than the fancier ones, our house is a perfect test bed, so we know that. I was all set to get a 3g signal booster from Wilson, but now there are rumors of 4g boosters that are also good for 3g coming out. It would be nice to be able to boost both the phones and the tablet hotspot from the same booster. I know close to nothing about this stuff. Is there a booster that will do what we want? We will be heading west this year, and we know there will be lots of weak signal areas.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 12:57 PM   #10
Platinum Member

My gear and setup is a bit dated now but the parts all work so I'll continue to use it. I think it is a fairly powerful unit. The downside to the power would be the power consumption which I haven't measured yet. The unit gets warm enough to indicate way more power use than a hand held device.

I haven't researched cell boosters at all.

I think a hotspot tablet would be ideal for Class B use.