Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-20-2014, 07:59 PM   #21
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Northern California
Posts: 131
Default Re: Apps

Yikes! I just found a flaw in using the Camper Leveler app on my phone. The problem also applies to any of the other leveler apps, inclinometers, bubble levels, etc. My phone has a slightly curved surface on the back, thus making any reading I take suspect. I happen to have an old phone that works but has no cell phone service, but I can load the apps onto it instead and have a dedicated leveling device.

This took me by surprise.
__________________

wabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 08:48 PM   #22
Platinum Member
 
Davydd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 4,630
Default Re: Apps

You have an Android phone? That is the problem with Android with so many stages of operating systems and phone manufacturers. You have to become an expert to know what works and doesn't work for you particular phone.

I'm sticking with Apple's iPhone.
__________________

__________________
Davydd
2015 Advanced RV Ocean One Mercedes Benz Sprinter
Previous Class Bs:
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 07:07 AM   #23
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Northern California
Posts: 131
Default Re: Apps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd
You have an Android phone? That is the problem with Android with so many stages of operating systems and phone manufacturers. You have to become an expert to know what works and doesn't work for you particular phone.

I'm sticking with Apple's iPhone.
My wife has an iPhone. I have a rooted Android phone. It gives us variety and access to all the apps.
wabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 11:21 PM   #24
Gold Member
 
accrete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 86
Default Re: Apps

Quote:
Originally Posted by renrut
...I also have CoPilot Premium GPS app installed. It's a fully functional GPS with turn-by-turn navigation and the maps are held on the memory card so no data required like Google Maps...
I've been using CoPilot now for about a year & a-half on my galaxy 10" tablet. It is a well thought out app and works on both android and iOS devices. Well worth the few bucks IMO. It is my first pic for GPS as we find ourselves out of cell phone range in most of the remote sites we prefer...so it is GPS by satellite or nothing.

Thom
__________________
From the WET! Coast of Oregon...
Van Build Thread @ SMBForums
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 05:41 AM   #25
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 300
Default Re: Apps

I just installed iOS 7.1.1, Apple's latest operating system (as of the end of June 2014). The built-in Compass app has a hidden feature. Once you open Compass, swipe from right to left and you'll see a leveling screen. When the two circles line up, it will show 0 degrees and the screen will turn green. If the two circles don't line up, it will show you the number of degrees that it's off by. It even works on my old iPhone 4.

The app and the upgrade to the operating system are free.

There's a video of it on YouTube:
SiennaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 01:21 PM   #26
Platinum Member
 
AmCruiser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Maine
Posts: 102
Default Re: Apps

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabbit
Yikes! I just found a flaw in using the Camper Leveler app on my phone. The problem also applies to any of the other leveler apps, inclinometers, bubble levels, etc. My phone has a slightly curved surface on the back, thus making any reading I take suspect. I happen to have an old phone that works but has no cell phone service, but I can load the apps onto it instead and have a dedicated leveling device.

This took me by surprise.
I realize this was old (January) but I recently got the Camper Leveler app and read the calibration instructions on C-NET. http://download.cnet.com/Camper-Leveler ... 02716.html
The phone does not have to be level when you calibrate it, it just has to be in a repeatable position. If you have a place to set it where it will be in the same position every time you use it and calibrate it in that position, the curved back shouldn't matter.
AmCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 03:51 AM   #27
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Northern California
Posts: 131
Default Re: Apps

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmCruiser
I realize this was old (January) but I recently got the Camper Leveler app and read the calibration instructions on C-NET. http://download.cnet.com/Camper-Leveler ... 02716.html
The phone does not have to be level when you calibrate it, it just has to be in a repeatable position. If you have a place to set it where it will be in the same position every time you use it and calibrate it in that position, the curved back shouldn't matter.
Thanks. I'll try that. For now I just run an app on the iPad.
__________________

wabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT. The time now is 09:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×