Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-01-2016, 03:43 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Downloading TV shows and movies on Netflix

There's a new option on Netflix that allows you download shows and movies on Netflix to watch them later. It looks like a useful option for RVers if you have an Android or iOS device that can display the show on a larger screen like a TV.

Link: https://help.netflix.com/en/node/54816

It may make slow campground WiFi even slower if many campers start using it.

There doesn't seem to be a way to store the download on an SD card so your device will need enough internal free space for storage.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 03:52 PM   #2
Site Team

Yeah, this is a great new option for us boonie campers. A similar option is GenieGO, which lets you cache stuff from your DirecTV DVR for off-line viewing.

Anybody know any others?
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 04:18 PM   #3
Platinum Member

It looks to be around 300mb per hour of downloaded Netflix video if using standard quality. That's good enough for me. Time for me to get rid of some unused apps to free up some space.

I don't know how long you can keep the downloads or how many downloads you're permitted to have at any particular time.

It's a great use for my seldom used (like never) inexpensive Android box.
Old 12-01-2016, 05:00 PM   #4
Platinum Member

I use PlayOn on a PC to load Netflix and Amazon streaming videos to a USB stick to play back in the van. Records in real time but you can queue up a list and let it run. Also Tivo on PC to move Tivo recordings to USB stick.
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 07:58 PM   #5
Platinum Member

I put my downloaded media on a usb stick- 100 movies on a stick.

in another thread I posted about using a tivo roamio ota ( antenna not cable version).

we now have this at home and are getting used to t, I put in a 3tb drive so it can store 477 hours of HD...3000 hours ( or something of SD).

my hope/thought is to take this on the road for occasions when we have AC we can use it to record shows off the van antenna ( while we are around teh campfire or whatever, to watch later) and even with no signal we can play back previously recorded shows
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 04:49 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Amazon Prime. I put them on my iPad, which I can easily prop up when reclining in bed.
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 02:27 PM   #7
Platinum Member

GenieGo is no longer supported by ATT/Directv. I was never able to get it to work very well anyway. But it has largely been replaced by the DIRECTV app that you can download or stream content from your at home dvr. I also use Playlater which can store many streaming services on your device. I guess I won't have to use it on Netflix anymore. Things are changing a lot on these services and providers like ATT are making their apps better and better. If you have ATT cell phone you can now stream directv content for free with no data charges!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Knit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 08:09 PM   #8
Platinum Member

I just have to give two thumbs up for Netflix and Amazon Prime for the ability to download shows and movies to watch later. Both work so well for RV related use. It's so easy to have a few or more movies or shows in-the-bank ready to watch even if you have a slow connection while out in the RV.
Old 05-13-2017, 10:10 PM   #9
Platinum Member

lol- i have a kindle fire 8 and can download amazon videos for this pupose.

I also get netflix for free-my daughter put me on hers-was i shocked when netflix wouldn't let me download-my grandchildren had already downloaded to many to their devices-who knew
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote