Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2010, 04:20 AM   #1
g1g
Platinum Member

Default internet connection size

I have seen several ads like satalite and I think a cel phone company that say you get 5 gig in one of their packages. My question is how much or how long can you be connected before you reach the 5 gig? Is this enough or is there a way I can measure what I do now?
g1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 10:19 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: internet connection size

The two internet service providers that I have been with both gave you the ability to check how much bandwidth you are using. With the first, I could log onto my account on their website and check it. My current provider supplies a modem/router combo box that I can log into and check the bandwidth I use.

There's also software that you can install to do the job. BitMeter is free: http://download.cnet.com/BitMeter-2/...10398686.html?
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 01:39 PM   #3
Silver Member

I have Verizon MIFI wireless hotspot. Like Marko said, it keeps track of the usage but I have to hook up the cable to see it. Now I think the real question is how much internet do you get with 5 gig???

"Nobody knows what's in Spam!!!"
Even the phone company cannot explain it to you so here is my experience. I use my hotspot quite often on weekends for internet surfing, reading forums and email. I also use it daily with our Citrix server at work and I never come close to the 5 gig limit. Now a friend bought a netbook through another carrier who sold him an "Unlimited" plan. He found out the hard way that his "Unlimited" plan was 5 gig split between the two computers in his family. He used it for streaming videos and is now fighting over $900 in overcharges. I am extremely pleased with my wireless hotspot because my girlfriend and I can both use it at the same time but we do NOT stream videos with it.

I will say it again, Do NOT Stream Videos!!!

I am seeing carriers offering 4g service that is much faster and really unlimited but only available in certain urban areas. When you go out of the area, it goes to 3g with the 5 gig limit. This was not available when I got my service.
Good luck,
Pete
pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 02:05 PM   #4
Platinum Member

I have a plan that starts at 3Gig and then gets more expensive when I go over that and up to 5Gig. With regular browsing, my wife playing games on Facebook and my kids playing their games, we come close to 3Gig but have not gone over that yet.

One thing I did do to cut down the usage was installing Add Blocker Plus into Firefox. It has cut my usage quite a bit. You would be amazed at how big some of these advertisements are. Yahoo likes using videos for advertising and they are quite big by themselves.

Rogers does have a calculator for figuring out usage. It gives a bit of an idea of how much you would use. I did find it was a little low when I calculated so be aware of that. My use is a little more.

http://www.rogers.com/web/Rogers.por...l=wrlsDataCalc
renrut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 06:11 AM   #5
g1g
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by renrut
I have a plan that starts at 3Gig and then gets more expensive when I go over that and up to 5Gig. With regular browsing, my wife playing games on Facebook and my kids playing their games, we come close to 3Gig but have not gone over that yet.

One thing I did do to cut down the usage was installing Add Blocker Plus into Firefox. It has cut my usage quite a bit. You would be amazed at how big some of these advertisements are. Yahoo likes using videos for advertising and they are quite big by themselves.

Rogers does have a calculator for figuring out usage. It gives a bit of an idea of how much you would use. I did find it was a little low when I calculated so be aware of that. My use is a little more.

http://www.rogers.com/web/Rogers.por...l=wrlsDataCalc

Good website for that. Is this service only in Canada or is it available in the stated too?
g1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 11:22 PM   #6
Platinum Member

You've got better options in the U.S. for sure. Rogers is only in Canada as far as I know.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote