Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2017, 02:43 AM   #21
Platinum Member

Default Photobucket

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
Maybe not. But in 1987 Digital Equipment Corporation was making so much money they didn't know what to do with it. That year, they brought the Queen Elizabeth II to Boston harbor for a one-company trade show. I was there. A little over a decade later, they were out of business.

If you don't keep physical control of your pictures, you WILL lose them. Just a matter of when.

I use the Microsoft cloud service, One Drive. I figure if Microsoft folds the world will end. [emoji41]

- - Mike
2012 Sprinter 3500 Extended converted B-Van by Airstream
Old 07-01-2017, 02:47 AM   #22
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
Maybe not. But in 1987 Digital Equipment Corporation was making so much money they didn't know what to do with it. That year, they brought the Queen Elizabeth II to Boston harbor for a one-company trade show. I was there. A little over a decade later, they were out of business.

….and DEC went to Compaq then a disastrous acquisition be HP’s Carly and then puff…

George.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 02:49 AM   #23
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
Don't think Apple is going anywhere soon.
Maybe not but they arbitrarily ended their web hosting service and my blog that I had a lot of time invested. Just because you pay to keep a blog there are no guarantees it is forever. Google's not going anywhere either but they ended Picasa support.

Facebook worries me. They change their rules often, their formats often and I invested in creating a group with over 14,000 member and thousands of photos that could be wiped out arbitrarily as well.

I never kept photos on Photobucket for archival purposes. They were all low resolution 640 x 480 photos for linking to message boards. It had the no-brainer linking with copy and paste complete with the [ img] tags and it automatically resized photos of any size you uploaded and I chose 640 x 480. My photos are backed up on my own multiple hard drives and use of the iCloud is just a temporary convenience as long as it is available.

These companies in theory are providing us with a free service but they are in turn a depository for content they could not create themselves and that content is a major investment for many of us.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 02:46 PM   #24
Platinum Member

I've been using Smugmug for the last 8 or 9 years and highly recommend it.
Hondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 03:08 PM   #25
Platinum Member

I'm going to try tinypic.com again. They are actually owned by Photobucket so is familiar and easy to copy and paste an image in a message forum because they supply the complete Img url string. What I don't get is Photobucket wants to charge $400 per year yet apparently tinypic is still free to use. I'm going to use it cautiously.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote