Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2019, 04:11 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default RV Camping Apps - Update

Is there a thread about RV camping software? I'm not finding it, but I'm not very good at this anyway.

I've tried a few of these apps in the past, and there are a lot of them out there, but in the world app development, things change rapidly. What is the latest consensus regarding RV camping software that tells you where free and paid camping opportunities are located? I find updated reviews very helpful as well.

Also, are there apps which combine functions such as leveling maintenance logging, storage locations?
alaskasail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 05:30 PM   #2
Platinum Member

I basically use the Ultimate US Public Campground Guide app since I mostly look for public lands and mostly boondock.

Everything else for private campgrounds, corroborating public campgrounds, Walmarts, dump stations, etc., I use AllStays Camp & RV app.

Harvest Host for overnight stays at wineries and breweries which is getting to be more frequent.

Gas Buddy app for fuel. I don't use it for cost. I use to identify a potential stop and usually have a preference as to what stations for convenience.

Coverage? app to check cell phone service. I've got a new app, Free Roam which is location specific with reviews of campground cell signals which I haven't used much yet.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 03:34 AM   #3
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
I basically use the Ultimate US Public Campground Guide app since I mostly look for public lands and mostly boondock.

Everything else for private campgrounds, corroborating public campgrounds, Walmarts, dump stations, etc., I use AllStays Camp & RV app.

Harvest Host for overnight stays at wineries and breweries which is getting to be more frequent.

Gas Buddy app for fuel. I don't use it for cost. I use to identify a potential stop and usually have a preference as to what stations for convenience.

Coverage? app to check cell phone service. I've got a new app, Free Roam which is location specific with reviews of campground cell signals which I haven't used much yet.
Thanks for that. I use Gas Buddy from time-to-time, but I like to keep the apps to a minimum. I just started looking at Free Roam and so far, I've been impressed. I love the USFS/BLM/Etc. map overlays which other programs
include only at an extra cost. There's a lot crammed into this app so stay tuned, I'll report.
alaskasail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 03:49 AM   #4
Site Team

Just a little promo for this forums sister sites/apps. This forum is part of the RV LIFE Network. That means your login here works for a couple dozen RV forums and also a few RV related sites/apps like Campground Reviews - Trusted Reviews of Campgrounds & RV Parks, www.RVTripWizard.com, and the RV LIFE App (link).

I founded the first forum back in 2002 called Airstream Forums. Listening to the members we heard them sharing campground reviews. So we added a review system to the forum but the limit size of the audience was not able to cover the vast amount of camping options. Realizing this, I started to look around to see where the most reviews were for campgrounds. Members were talking about RV Park Reviews (now renamed Campground Reviews). We ended up acquiring the site and now we are working towards getting our forums users to submit more reviews.

Last fall we launched the RV LIFE App. It's a freemium model. Some stuff is behind a subscription but most stuff for van folks is free. What's behind the subscription is some filtering for big rigs and RV Specific GPS (obviously vans are not as big as Class A so that's not really a big upsell for this audience. It does also allow for downloading all the data offline which is nice when internet connections are bad/non-existent. The offline download pulls down map tiles so you can still use the RV Specific GPS when offline and also downloads all the reviews (hundreds of thousands of them).

Since the database is based on Campground Reviews (formerly RV Park Reviews) it's a little light on dispersed/boondocking locations. Van can get into small spots that are way back there. Many are covered but reviews are not always as fresh as we would like them to be.

Check out the app here. Login with the same email/pass as this forum.
RV LIFE App

Would love to hear your feedback.

Also, FYI - We cover cellular reception at all the places too.
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 11:53 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy R View Post
Just a little promo for this forums sister sites/apps. This forum is part of the RV LIFE Network. That means your login here works for a couple dozen RV forums and also a few RV related sites/apps like Campground Reviews - Trusted Reviews of Campgrounds & RV Parks, www.RVTripWizard.com, and the RV LIFE App (link).

I founded the first forum back in 2002 called Airstream Forums. Listening to the members we heard them sharing campground reviews. So we added a review system to the forum but the limit size of the audience was not able to cover the vast amount of camping options. Realizing this, I started to look around to see where the most reviews were for campgrounds. Members were talking about RV Park Reviews (now renamed Campground Reviews). We ended up acquiring the site and now we are working towards getting our forums users to submit more reviews.

Last fall we launched the RV LIFE App. It's a freemium model. Some stuff is behind a subscription but most stuff for van folks is free. What's behind the subscription is some filtering for big rigs and RV Specific GPS (obviously vans are not as big as Class A so that's not really a big upsell for this audience. It does also allow for downloading all the data offline which is nice when internet connections are bad/non-existent. The offline download pulls down map tiles so you can still use the RV Specific GPS when offline and also downloads all the reviews (hundreds of thousands of them).

Since the database is based on Campground Reviews (formerly RV Park Reviews) it's a little light on dispersed/boondocking locations. Van can get into small spots that are way back there. Many are covered but reviews are not always as fresh as we would like them to be.

Check out the app here. Login with the same email/pass as this forum.
RV LIFE App

Would love to hear your feedback.

Also, FYI - We cover cellular reception at all the places too.
Andy - this didn't work for me. Those other sites you linked don't even recognize the email I use to log into this site.

Edit - actually it worked for the review site, but not for the RV Trip Wizzard.
Old 07-31-2019, 03:18 PM   #6
Platinum Member

The RV Life app didn't show two regional RV public campgrounds close to my home that show up in Ultimate CG and AllStays Camp & RV in Carver County, MN. That was just a quick check, but it means it may not be complete as to what I choose to seek out.

Carver Park Preserve -Lake Auburn - 55 RV sites (2.5 miles from my house)

Baylor Regional Park - 35 RV sites (18 miles from my house)

I know companies have to make money to support online efforts but I am turning down notification efforts and giving out my information that apps increasingly want. I know it is a futile effort as they get the information now off your credit card purchases.

I bought sandals at Cabela's and immediately online I was inundated with sandal ads online. I bought Wrangler cargo shorts at Target and was immediately inundated with cargo short ads the next day. Google and Amazon are not the only ones that do this.
Old 07-31-2019, 07:54 PM   #7
Bronze Member

I'm also awaiting for RV installation app which is user friendly and can play role at necessity as on required. .......
Jill Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 08:04 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
The RV Life app didn't show two regional RV public campgrounds close to my home that show up in Ultimate CG and AllStays Camp & RV in Carver County, MN. That was just a quick check, but it means it may not be complete as to what I choose to seek out.

Carver Park Preserve -Lake Auburn - 55 RV sites (2.5 miles from my house)

Baylor Regional Park - 35 RV sites (18 miles from my house)

I know companies have to make money to support online efforts but I am turning down notification efforts and giving out my information that apps increasingly want. I know it is a futile effort as they get the information now off your credit card purchases.

I bought sandals at Cabela's and immediately online I was inundated with sandal ads online. I bought Wrangler cargo shorts at Target and was immediately inundated with cargo short ads the next day. Google and Amazon are not the only ones that do this.
I took a look at this and see that Baylor Regional Park is listed - still looking into the other one. The park info used by the RV Life app (and Trip Wizard) comes from our sister site CampgroundReviews.com and that park is here Baylor Regional Park - Young America, MN - Campground Reviews

I'm thinking a filter setting may have been responsible for the park not displaying...

Regarding spammy e-mails... I hate them as well but we don't share account info

Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 09:08 PM   #9
Site Team

You found a weak link in our ecosystem, boondocking/dry camping locations. I'm sure there is a correlation with Class B and getting into beautiful remote places that might not have any hookups.

Our site used to be called Campground Reviews - Trusted Reviews of Campgrounds & RV Parks for nearly 18 years up until last January. We changed the name to Campground Reviews - Trusted Reviews of Campgrounds & RV Parks for this specific reason. We plan to add more campgrounds that are overnight or dispersed/dry campingg locations. Right now our database leans towards those with infrastructure (ie. hookups). So look for our data to get better in the coming years.

It might not be perfect for van lifers but it's a resource I wanted you all to be aware of since it's affiliation with this community. Our hope is to bring as many RVeers into the #RVLIFE movement so our platform will be great for everyone from a pop-up to a diesel pusher. We know we have more work to do.

It would be great if you see a place that's missing to add it and review it. That's how any of these systems gets better.
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 04:47 PM   #10

Campendium. Great phone app and website.

https://www.campendium.com/
Lakesidemn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 01:23 AM   #11

Default freecampsites.net

This is a user site where we all add camp sites we find and reviews.

I travel extensively using this web site.

It only gets better as more use it and add more sites.
davdent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 02:59 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill Ellis View Post
I'm also awaiting for RV installation app which is user friendly and can play role at necessity as on required. .......
AllStays has been my go to for years...the filter allows you to put in the criteria for the CG/RV park you want..club discounts honored, wi-fi info, etc...plus links to their websites..
What’s not to love?
NFRicaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 07:30 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davdent View Post
This is a user site where we all add camp sites we find and reviews.

I travel extensively using this web site.

It only gets better as more use it and add more sites.
Most all data based camp site apps and software depend on user info. I can't imagine any worth their salt that didn't.
Old 08-07-2019, 04:37 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRicaS View Post
AllStays has been my go to for years...the filter allows you to put in the criteria for the CG/RV park you want..club discounts honored, wi-fi info, etc...plus links to their websites..
What’s not to love?
Their lack of updates for a Android users.
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
app, apps, camping, software