Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-29-2019, 04:11 PM   #1
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Alaska-Arizona
Posts: 15
Default RV Camping Apps - Update

Is there a thread about RV camping software? I'm not finding it, but I'm not very good at this anyway.

I've tried a few of these apps in the past, and there are a lot of them out there, but in the world app development, things change rapidly. What is the latest consensus regarding RV camping software that tells you where free and paid camping opportunities are located? I find updated reviews very helpful as well.

Also, are there apps which combine functions such as leveling maintenance logging, storage locations?
__________________

alaskasail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 05:30 PM   #2
Platinum Member
 
Davydd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 4,476
Default

I basically use the Ultimate US Public Campground Guide app since I mostly look for public lands and mostly boondock.

Everything else for private campgrounds, corroborating public campgrounds, Walmarts, dump stations, etc., I use AllStays Camp & RV app.

Harvest Host for overnight stays at wineries and breweries which is getting to be more frequent.

Gas Buddy app for fuel. I don't use it for cost. I use to identify a potential stop and usually have a preference as to what stations for convenience.

Coverage? app to check cell phone service. I've got a new app, Free Roam which is location specific with reviews of campground cell signals which I haven't used much yet.
__________________

__________________
Davydd
2015 Advanced RV Ocean One Mercedes Benz Sprinter
Previous Class Bs:
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 03:34 AM   #3
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Alaska-Arizona
Posts: 15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
I basically use the Ultimate US Public Campground Guide app since I mostly look for public lands and mostly boondock.

Everything else for private campgrounds, corroborating public campgrounds, Walmarts, dump stations, etc., I use AllStays Camp & RV app.

Harvest Host for overnight stays at wineries and breweries which is getting to be more frequent.

Gas Buddy app for fuel. I don't use it for cost. I use to identify a potential stop and usually have a preference as to what stations for convenience.

Coverage? app to check cell phone service. I've got a new app, Free Roam which is location specific with reviews of campground cell signals which I haven't used much yet.
Thanks for that. I use Gas Buddy from time-to-time, but I like to keep the apps to a minimum. I just started looking at Free Roam and so far, I've been impressed. I love the USFS/BLM/Etc. map overlays which other programs
include only at an extra cost. There's a lot crammed into this app so stay tuned, I'll report.
alaskasail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 03:49 AM   #4
Site Team
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 3
Default

Just a little promo for this forums sister sites/apps. This forum is part of the RV LIFE Network. That means your login here works for a couple dozen RV forums and also a few RV related sites/apps like Campground Reviews - Trusted Reviews of Campgrounds & RV Parks, www.RVTripWizard.com, and the RV LIFE App (link).

I founded the first forum back in 2002 called Airstream Forums. Listening to the members we heard them sharing campground reviews. So we added a review system to the forum but the limit size of the audience was not able to cover the vast amount of camping options. Realizing this, I started to look around to see where the most reviews were for campgrounds. Members were talking about RV Park Reviews (now renamed Campground Reviews). We ended up acquiring the site and now we are working towards getting our forums users to submit more reviews.

Last fall we launched the RV LIFE App. It's a freemium model. Some stuff is behind a subscription but most stuff for van folks is free. What's behind the subscription is some filtering for big rigs and RV Specific GPS (obviously vans are not as big as Class A so that's not really a big upsell for this audience. It does also allow for downloading all the data offline which is nice when internet connections are bad/non-existent. The offline download pulls down map tiles so you can still use the RV Specific GPS when offline and also downloads all the reviews (hundreds of thousands of them).

Since the database is based on Campground Reviews (formerly RV Park Reviews) it's a little light on dispersed/boondocking locations. Van can get into small spots that are way back there. Many are covered but reviews are not always as fresh as we would like them to be.

Check out the app here. Login with the same email/pass as this forum.
RV LIFE App

Would love to hear your feedback.

Also, FYI - We cover cellular reception at all the places too.
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 11:53 PM   #5
Platinum Member
 
Boxster1971's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Maryland
Posts: 872
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy R View Post
Just a little promo for this forums sister sites/apps. This forum is part of the RV LIFE Network. That means your login here works for a couple dozen RV forums and also a few RV related sites/apps like Campground Reviews - Trusted Reviews of Campgrounds & RV Parks, www.RVTripWizard.com, and the RV LIFE App (link).

I founded the first forum back in 2002 called Airstream Forums. Listening to the members we heard them sharing campground reviews. So we added a review system to the forum but the limit size of the audience was not able to cover the vast amount of camping options. Realizing this, I started to look around to see where the most reviews were for campgrounds. Members were talking about RV Park Reviews (now renamed Campground Reviews). We ended up acquiring the site and now we are working towards getting our forums users to submit more reviews.

Last fall we launched the RV LIFE App. It's a freemium model. Some stuff is behind a subscription but most stuff for van folks is free. What's behind the subscription is some filtering for big rigs and RV Specific GPS (obviously vans are not as big as Class A so that's not really a big upsell for this audience. It does also allow for downloading all the data offline which is nice when internet connections are bad/non-existent. The offline download pulls down map tiles so you can still use the RV Specific GPS when offline and also downloads all the reviews (hundreds of thousands of them).

Since the database is based on Campground Reviews (formerly RV Park Reviews) it's a little light on dispersed/boondocking locations. Van can get into small spots that are way back there. Many are covered but reviews are not always as fresh as we would like them to be.

Check out the app here. Login with the same email/pass as this forum.
RV LIFE App

Would love to hear your feedback.

Also, FYI - We cover cellular reception at all the places too.
Andy - this didn't work for me. Those other sites you linked don't even recognize the email I use to log into this site.

Edit - actually it worked for the review site, but not for the RV Trip Wizzard.
__________________
2013 Airstream Interstate Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter 3500 170Ext
Formerly: 1973 Dodge B300 DIY pop-top conversion
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 03:18 PM   #6
Platinum Member
 
Davydd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 4,476
Default

The RV Life app didn't show two regional RV public campgrounds close to my home that show up in Ultimate CG and AllStays Camp & RV in Carver County, MN. That was just a quick check, but it means it may not be complete as to what I choose to seek out.

Carver Park Preserve -Lake Auburn - 55 RV sites (2.5 miles from my house)

Baylor Regional Park - 35 RV sites (18 miles from my house)

I know companies have to make money to support online efforts but I am turning down notification efforts and giving out my information that apps increasingly want. I know it is a futile effort as they get the information now off your credit card purchases.

I bought sandals at Cabela's and immediately online I was inundated with sandal ads online. I bought Wrangler cargo shorts at Target and was immediately inundated with cargo short ads the next day. Google and Amazon are not the only ones that do this.
__________________
Davydd
2015 Advanced RV Ocean One Mercedes Benz Sprinter
Previous Class Bs:
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 07:54 PM   #7
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Boston MA-Manchester NH
Posts: 11
Default

I'm also awaiting for RV installation app which is user friendly and can play role at necessity as on required. .......
Jill Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 08:04 PM   #8
Site Team
 
Janet H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 191
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
The RV Life app didn't show two regional RV public campgrounds close to my home that show up in Ultimate CG and AllStays Camp & RV in Carver County, MN. That was just a quick check, but it means it may not be complete as to what I choose to seek out.

Carver Park Preserve -Lake Auburn - 55 RV sites (2.5 miles from my house)

Baylor Regional Park - 35 RV sites (18 miles from my house)

I know companies have to make money to support online efforts but I am turning down notification efforts and giving out my information that apps increasingly want. I know it is a futile effort as they get the information now off your credit card purchases.

I bought sandals at Cabela's and immediately online I was inundated with sandal ads online. I bought Wrangler cargo shorts at Target and was immediately inundated with cargo short ads the next day. Google and Amazon are not the only ones that do this.
I took a look at this and see that Baylor Regional Park is listed - still looking into the other one. The park info used by the RV Life app (and Trip Wizard) comes from our sister site CampgroundReviews.com and that park is here Baylor Regional Park - Young America, MN - Campground Reviews


I'm thinking a filter setting may have been responsible for the park not displaying...

Regarding spammy e-mails... I hate them as well but we don't share account info
__________________
You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. | Dr. Seuss
.

Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 09:08 PM   #9
Site Team
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 3
Default

You found a weak link in our ecosystem, boondocking/dry camping locations. I'm sure there is a correlation with Class B and getting into beautiful remote places that might not have any hookups.

Our site used to be called Campground Reviews - Trusted Reviews of Campgrounds & RV Parks for nearly 18 years up until last January. We changed the name to Campground Reviews - Trusted Reviews of Campgrounds & RV Parks for this specific reason. We plan to add more campgrounds that are overnight or dispersed/dry campingg locations. Right now our database leans towards those with infrastructure (ie. hookups). So look for our data to get better in the coming years.

It might not be perfect for van lifers but it's a resource I wanted you all to be aware of since it's affiliation with this community. Our hope is to bring as many RVeers into the #RVLIFE movement so our platform will be great for everyone from a pop-up to a diesel pusher. We know we have more work to do.

It would be great if you see a place that's missing to add it and review it. That's how any of these systems gets better.
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 04:47 PM   #10
New Member
 
Lakesidemn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 19
Default

Campendium. Great phone app and website.

https://www.campendium.com/
__________________

Lakesidemn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
app, apps, camping, software

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT. The time now is 12:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.