Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2015, 11:25 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Use your computer as an internet access point

I saw a post on the RT Yahoo Group - https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/.../topics/103700 - that showed how to use your computer as an access point or router using commercial software.

I like the idea & posted the following:

Quote:
Thanks for the idea. Windows 7 & 8 includes Wireless Hosted Network virtual WiFi run from the command prompt. Here's a tutorial: Create a Virtual Wireless Router With Windows

I used this free GUI interface instead: BrainByteZ ยป WLAN Hosted Network Manager

My iPod could access the internet via my laptop using the laptops standard wireless connection to an access point and also via the laptop through an old Blackberry Curve tethered via USB. I had to turn on sharing on those primary connections to the internet and had to stop the program before exiting otherwise it would continue running in the background.
I have a DD-WRT flashed router used as a repeater in the van and also a 3G router but I think there could be occasions when this "virtual access point" will come in handy. For example, some coffee shops or campgrounds require that you click "OK" or "Accept" on a their web page to get internet access and I can't do that with the repeater but would be able to do that with my laptop and then let other devices like my iPod access the internet via the laptop. Sometimes the laptop sees those connections whereas the iPod, with its less powerful network interface, doesn't see those signals.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 10:39 PM   #2
Platinum Member

I did this a couple times when I was in the US. I was in Atlanta Georgia for a little over 2 months but the hotel only had wired Internet. I found a free program for my laptop and set up a wireless hotspot through it. That allowed me to use my tablet and cell phone wirelessly. Eventually, I bought a router and didn't need to use the laptop.
renrut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 12:23 AM   #3
Platinum Member

That's a great use for it.
Old 07-31-2015, 02:26 PM   #4
Platinum Member

A few notes:

This feature is also included in Windows 10.

This PDF has some useful info: http://aztcs.org/meeting_notes/winha...tedNetwork.pdf

including links to free software to make it easier to use.

I have an external WiFi antenna mounted on my van so I went ahead and bought a 15' USB extension ($6) and a Wifi USB stick ($15) that has the threaded connector for a WiFi antenna so that I can compare this new virtual access point to the hardware repeater / router already in the van.
Old 07-31-2015, 11:19 PM   #5
Site Team

BTW: ANY Macintosh can do this inherently. Just go to "System Preferences -> Sharing" and check the box labelled "Internet Sharing".
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote