Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-18-2010, 03:45 PM   #21
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan
Default Re: Who's minding the store??? (Home security camera related)

Hey, thanks for the update.
I actually had one of my 920s looking a bit fuzzy. I thought I might have to return it,
but I realized there is a manual focus adjustment just by rotating the lens mount.
I got them about as good as they're likely to get, but it's good enough for us.

I might look into Foscams. If they can be accessed via your router at home directly,
or by using a web browser and accessing them via their local IP addresses (at home)
then they would work for me, as that's how we access them when we're on the road.
I'd just add them, secure them, and then open the additional router ports. If there's
additional software required to use the extras, that might still work, but I'd have to
research that first.
I was going to add one more DCS920 if I can find one somewhere. They're obsolete,
and the supply appears to by drying up. That would give me 4 and would be great
coverage of the house and yard, and I wouldn't need the zoom/tilt/rotate.
Although that would be really cool, too.
Old 12-30-2010, 02:45 PM   #22
Platinum Member

Since switching to DYNDNS.com as my free dynamic dns update host site, the cams have been
accessible. No interruptions in service.
Good news.
Old 01-16-2011, 12:14 AM   #23
Platinum Member

Just before Christmas I added a 4th cam to my setup. On sale and couldn't pass it up.
I don't think there are any more DCS-920 cams for sale at retailers in my area, as they
were obsoleted last year.
Old 12-01-2012, 05:32 PM   #24
Platinum Member

Default Re: Who's minding the store??? (Home security camera related

Are you guys still using your wireless security cameras? Anyone else here using them?

I see Amazon.ca has the very basic D-Link DCS-930L on sale for $49.99 and it ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00452V66G

I had an Amazon credit that I figured I should use so I went ahead and ordered one. I've seen them on Amazon at $49.99 before but the price jumps around sometimes changing on the same day! Usually they are around $69.99 not $99.99 as shown by Amazon.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:00 PM   #25
Platinum Member

I am. Those 930s are setup to be easily connected to your home router and then to the internet via the "mydlink" system/website, which then is supposed to allow easy remote access/monitoring via the internet. I have the older models and had to set up a free dynamic dns website entry to keep my router's ip address up to date. As you may be aware, your WAN IP address can change whenever your ISP decides it's time to refresh or some other catastrophe causes it to change. I got caught by an unexpected WAN IP address change the first time we traveled, after we bought and installed the original group of home security cameras. Quite a lot of fiddling to get things working efficiently, but I eventually got it working. D-Link's router/ip/camera support isn't too bad, but you really have to keep after them. I think their products come with a year's free telephone tech support. If you aren't set up by then, you probably never will be. I'm guessing they may have made it a little more intuitive since my models came out. Plus, you do have some Lan/Wan setup experience? Long time ago? In a galaxy far, far away?
Any questions, fire away, I'll try to help if I can.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:25 AM   #26
Platinum Member

Thanks info/tips Mike. I read through this topic (more than once) to understand it all.
Yes, IT was a big part of my job but I've forgotten a lot.

I will try the MyDlink site but I also went ahead and setup an account with a free DDNS site because I'll probably get another vendors pan & tilt cam to play with. Some of the manufacturers pan/tilt/night vision/motion detection cameras can be had for $50 delivered. Very little, if any, support at that price point though.

I flashed my router with DD-WRT third party firmware today to take advantage of the built-in DDNS accounts and also gain VPN ability. With the cheaper cameras I'll VPN into my router from a remote location and access the cameras as if I was on the network locally. The cheaper cameras don't have much security (open text transmission of the username and password). That's why I set up the VPN - so that type of info is encrypted.

The MyDlink site has SSL encryption so no need for the VPN.

D-Link offers a free app for mobile access
U.S. http://mydlink.dlink.com/network-cameras/stay-connected
Canada https://ca.mydlink.com/apps

You pay relatively more for D-Link's camera's (less camera features) but you get SSL web access and apps.

I've tested the VPN on my iPod Touch and it works so I just have to wait for a camera to arrive.

There are an amazing amount of IP network wireless cameras available : Foscam, D-Link, Cisco, Trendnet, TP-Link, Wansview, Wanscam, CoolCam, Tenvis, Apexis, EasyN and probably 20 more brands & clones, copies etc.

It's good to know your D-Links still work.
Old 12-02-2012, 01:47 AM   #27
Platinum Member

I'm pretty sure my free DDNS site also uses SSL as well. I know my router is encrypted access from a public IP address. I could access it from out on the road and reboot it or modify settings from wherever I can get internet access. Useful? Probably not for me. Secure? Maybe.
Besides all the setting up problems, I also had to do at least one router firmware upgrade to get the clock to work properly over power failures and hard resets, and I think the cameras also needed at least one firmware upgrade to smooth out some problems with them.
As for other webcams with extra features, yes there are many. I looked at adding even more cams, and the Foscams looked fairly good, but you never know until you actually add them to your configuration and start tinkering.
Good luck.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:48 PM   #28
Platinum Member

Foscam Canada Christmas special sale, 20% off for all products, coupon code: happy

http://foscamcanada.com/web/

Tax and shipping included in the price

So, a basic Wireless IP Camera FI8909W (no pan, tilt) ends up costing $48. Not bad at all.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:35 PM   #29
Platinum Member

It sounds like a good price for a basic wireless cam.
Can't recall what I paid for mine, but it was probably more than that. I probably mentioned it somewhere in this thread. (found it. $79 + tax for the cams and $89 for a new router. not cheap 2 years ago )
One thing about these cams. On my D-Links, I had to adjust the focus on them after I got them connected. They had a simple rotating lens to sharpen the focus, but it's a pita if you've already placed the cameras. Unless your pc or viewing source is lightweight and runs well on batteries.
Old 12-17-2012, 11:55 PM   #30
Platinum Member

I don't think I can adjust the focus on my D-Link DCS-930L - it's just tiny hole for the camera lens.
I went ahead and ordered the Foscam. (the basic one) I was tempted by some of the others with tilt and pan but figured I should keep it simple - less parts to malfunction.
The basic Foscam FI8909W has night vision IR leds which is something my D-Link does not have.

My D-Link DCS-930L works as advertised. It can email photos to you when it detects motion. I've been experimenting with housing it in an empty outdoor light fixture. The curve of the light fixture distorts the image so I'd like to find something with flat glass. There are lots of exterior cameras available but they are so obviously a camera that I don't want to mount them on the house.

One reason why I'd like to mount a cam outdoors is to take advantage of the D-Link scheduled photos. I'd set it to take one photo per day for the whole year then turn them into a movie or animation that shows you a whole year of weather and seasons, snowfall, snow melt, leaves appearing in Spring and falling in Autumn, etc.. The movie would be maybe 15 seconds long. It would be fun to watch.
Old 12-18-2012, 12:03 AM   #31
Platinum Member

The "obvious" cameras are designed as deterrents, and that might be good thing if you're not home.
Old 12-18-2012, 10:44 AM   #32
Platinum Member

Good point.
Old 12-22-2012, 11:43 AM   #33
Platinum Member

The 2 Foscam F18909W's arrived yesterday - that was quick! Setup was straightforward although it helped that I had some prior experience.
I have a D-Link DCS-930L to compare them to.

Similarities between the basic Foscam and D-Link units:
1. both are accessible/viewable from inside or outside of your network (with a password)
2. both have motion detection and can be set to email a series of photos of the motion detection event.
3. max resolution is 640x480 for both
4. both are wireless B, G & N compatible.

Differences between the basic Foscam and D-Link units:
1. Foscam has external WiFi antenna which should give better range
2. Foscam has built-in speaker and microphone
3. Foscam has night vision
4. The picture quality of the D-Link looks better to me - the colors are more natural
5. D-Link setup for remote viewing is easy if you use myDLink
6. D-Link is much smaller, much thinner, more modern looking

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Foscam Dlink.JPG (173.3 KB, 1700 views)
Old 12-22-2012, 01:09 PM   #34
Platinum Member

My DCS-920's don't have motion detection that I know of, but they do have an adjustable external wifi antenna, like the Foscam. Their range seems fine to me. I would trade that for the motion detection feature. Sounds useful.
I just checked and my cams will no longer be supported (firm/software?) after next year. So, D-Link stuff may only have limited long term support available. Or, (I'm pretty sure) they will charge you for on going Q&A about their products. They have a message on some of their support phone numbers about "please have your credit card handy" if your product is out of warranty.
What's the long term support for Foscams like?
I'm still getting updates for Win XP, as an example. I think they said support for it was ending over 2 years ago. Gotta love Bill Gates.
Old 12-22-2012, 02:01 PM   #35
Platinum Member

From the manual - support is through the reseller first then direct to Foscam. So for me it would be:
http://foscamcanada.com
then
http://www.foscam.com
There's a large North American user base for help at the Foscam U.S. site forum.
http://foscam.us
http://foscam.us/forum/
and the other Foscam Canada site (part of the U.S. Foscam group I think):
http://foscam.ca
http://foscam.ca/forum/

I did upgrade the firmware and the web interface for the Foscams - downloaded direct from http://www.foscam.com/down3.aspx The newer firmware added an alternate free ddns provider (no-ip.com).

2 yr warranty on the Foscams.

Re: Apps
A quick plug for CCTV Camera Pros http://www.cctvcamerapros.com
http://www.cctvcamerapros.com/iCamviewe ... -s/393.htm
http://www.appburst.com/iphone-apps/ica ... camera-app

I tried numerous iTunes apps to find one that works with both the D-Link DCS-930L and the Foscam F18909W. So far, only the free iCamviewer app from CCTV Camera Pros works with both cameras. It is simple to use - just swipe your finger across the screen to flip to to the next camera. It makes it pretty effortless to quickly check on the house when you are away.

D-Link has its own app and there are numerous third-party apps that work with Foscams but iCamviewer works with both
Old 12-22-2012, 07:45 PM   #36
Platinum Member

I use the D-Link software to use my cams as a CCTV remote cam control centre. It accesses them through the free DDNS webservice that I also use, and it's easy to access them from anywhere I can get internet access, when we're on the road. The D-Link package can run a 4/6/9/10/16/32 camera configuration system. I can digitally zoom each camera using it, and I also believe it can react to motion it sees on camera digitally, but I would have to research that, and also would have to have it up and running all the time, which is impossible when we're traveling. It would also use up monthly upload/download bandwidth at home, as the camera I/O is considered internet traffic to our ISP, so not economical unless we go to an unlimited internet package, but that would require getting a landline, and adds unnecessary complexity to what we've got now. Maybe some day.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:39 PM   #37
Platinum Member

One of my security cams caught this ghostly apparition last night

It's indoors and motion triggered night vision - infrared lit - at night so the area is actually dark to human vision.

The motion triggered images get sent to my iPod and I have a habit of checking messages when I first wake up in the morning so it was a bit startling to get that. I've never had something like that show up in an image capture before.

I'm guessing it was a moth or something close to the camera lens.............
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ethereal visitor.jpg (7.2 KB, 1132 views)
Old 07-24-2013, 07:17 PM   #38
Platinum Member

Perhaps an insect leg or wing, if one crawled past the sensor and lens coincidentally. The brighter inner core could be slightly higher temp circulatory system picked up by the i/r cam.
Or, you're haunted.
Old 07-24-2013, 07:28 PM   #39
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike
.........Or, you're haunted.
Sounds silly but I was on high alert when I checked that part of the house
Old 04-02-2015, 12:28 AM   #40
Bronze Member

Hmmm...Crazy thought here, but would a 'Home-Security' system work for an RV when the owner is away from it, like at work? What im referring to is, a wireless system that alerts me to any intrusion or breakage of windows, when i have the vechicle parked on the street and im more than 10 miles away at work. I know they have a Text-Sytem for the home.
Bugsy White is offline   Reply With Quote