Old 09-20-2016, 06:14 PM   #21
Platinum Member

I defer to Avanti's very knowledgeable setup. But using simply my Verizon Jetpack, a Samsung of a couple of generations back, I don't always see a correlation between the "number of bars" and the ability to get on line and function. This past week I managed very well with it showing 3G only, and 2 bars, including running YooChoob videos.

Old 09-21-2016, 06:11 PM   #22
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgraham View Post
I defer to Avanti's very knowledgeable setup. But using simply my Verizon Jetpack, a Samsung of a couple of generations back, I don't always see a correlation between the "number of bars" and the ability to get on line and function. This past week I managed very well with it showing 3G only, and 2 bars, including running YooChoob videos.
I agree. I had 4 bars on my jetpack the other day and it was worthless.

Old 09-21-2016, 07:34 PM   #23
Site Team

With most devices, you can do much better than the "bars" display to see signal quality data. Smartphones have secret codes that you can enter to get a real signal strength meter. Google will tell you how to do it for your particular phone.

The Jetpacks (or at least the ACL791L) will show you detailed signal data in a menu item:
Got to "About Jetpack"; select it; select "next". This will show you two values:
1) RSRP (which is the absolute signal strength measure for LTE networks). This is a negative value--the closer to zero the better.
2) SNR, which is the Signal to Noise Ratio. Higher is better. This is probably the most significant value. The problem with RF "signal boosters" is that they amplify both the signal and the noise, tending to leave this value unchanged.

A good MiMo antenna will improve both of these values. When I installed mine, I did a before/after test. With only the Jetpack's internal antenna, I was seeing an RSRP of -110 dBm and a SNR of 3. Plugging in the antenna, it jumped to -90 with a SNR ranging from 9 to 14.

RSRP is a logarithmic scale, so -90 is a LOT better than -110. (each step of 3dBm represents a doubling of signal strength).
Old 08-06-2017, 10:18 PM   #24
Platinum Member

I think I need to get in on that MiMo action. I just bought this WeBoost extender and tested it out. Results were far from promising. Verizon showed no bar increase. AT&T boosted 3 bars to a full 5 bars. But those bars are deceptive I think as Avanti has been pointing out.

So I tested AT&T using the SpeedTest app. I ran 4 tests back to back with boost off, then repeated with boost on, then repeated both 3 more times for 12 tests with boost and 12 tests without boost. The averages I got in mbps:

Total Avg Boost Off (3 dots) = 5.8525 mbps download, .857 upload

Total Avg Boost On (full dots) = 4.63 mbps download, 1.08 upload

I definitely need to look at that MiMo tech.
WingedRyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 11:01 PM   #25
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedRyno View Post
I definitely need to look at that MiMo tech.
lucky I'm not an "I told you so" kind of guy.

Seriously, though, there have been a few reports of worthwhile improvements with WeBoost-type devices, so there must be some condition/vehicle/device combinations that benefit from this approach. But, they seem to be few and far between. Almost everybody that has tried a good MiMo antenna sans amplification has reported good results.
Old 08-06-2017, 11:48 PM   #26
Gold Member

Avanti's original post launched me into a fun (and useful) investigation of MiMo antennas vs. cellular amplifiers. I now have both. There is a huge amount of empirical info on the topic in rvmobileinternet.com. Some of it requires a subscription, but, for me, has been worth the price of admission.
Arlo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 01:01 AM   #27

so do i have to sign for an additional contrac with verizon for a Verizon Jetpack AC791L if i am already a verizon customer with my phone ?
kdcnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 01:46 AM   #28
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdcnett View Post
so do i have to sign for an additional contrac with verizon for a Verizon Jetpack AC791L if i am already a verizon customer with my phone ?
Typically, you just add it to your existing account as an additional device sharing your existing data plan. I think it costs something like $10/month per additional device. It is just like adding a second phone to your plan.