Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2015, 02:08 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Windows 10

I got a notice about the free upgrade to Windows 10 available later this month. Here are two articles that maybe explain how it can be "free".

'Free' Windows 10 Now Looks A Terrible Deal - Forbes

Windows 10 Upgrades Cannot Be Stopped - Forbes

I guess we all know it can't be free forever. Just think about all the updates they have to keep releasing. People don't work for free.

I would like to know what cost I should expect annually going forward after the initial grace period though.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 03:15 PM   #2
Platinum Member

I think in two years you will probably be shopping for a new PC anyway so who cares. It'll come with Windows 12.

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 03:25 PM   #3
Platinum Member

MS said Windows 10 will be the last version of Windows. We have three computers that are eligible for the "free" upgrade.

We'll have a year to do the upgrade and lots can happen in a year.

I know my wife will not miss 8.1
Old 07-11-2015, 03:45 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo View Post
MS said Windows 10 will be the last version of Windows. ...
Does Windows 10.9.35.78.3.539 still count as Win 10?

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
Old 07-11-2015, 03:54 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Good one!
Yes.
Old 07-11-2015, 09:38 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Windows is free because that is the new model for operating systems. Microsoft's bread and butter was Windows software which they could charge for. But then Apple went to free upgrades with OS X, Google has jumped in with Chrome and Linux has always been hanging around. Microsoft was starting to lose ground with all that pressure. They had no choice.

I am curious how Microsoft can say Windows 10 is the last unless they are going to try to introduce a new total departure OS. They have pretty much been shedding most of their businesses including just taking a big write off of Nokia and phones. They are shrinking the company back down to software and services.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 01:58 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Don't cry for Microsoft. They're still making billions.

I only use Windows on my work PC because they force me too - IT locks it down and does the maintenance, so I just use it like a toaster. Otherwise I'm Mac all the way - the laptops, ipads and phones all nicely work together and basically take care of themselves.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 03:37 AM   #8
Bronze Member

wait awhile before you upgrade to windoze 10 - some software like Adobe Lightroom / Photoshop or other software might have some glitches working with windoze 10 - I think that this new OS will eventually be good for MSFT and the general public- time will tell....
RickNV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 03:01 PM   #9
Platinum Member

yes, good idea.
----------------------------------
The automatic sharing of your WiFi connection with your contacts is something that I'll disable. Google "Wi-Fi Sense" for more info.

I think I'll have to disable it for every Windows 10 device I put on my network.

This article http://finance.yahoo.com/news/turn-o...213003839.html on Yahoo offers a quick how-to:

Quote:
On Windows 10 itself, you want to go to Settings, then Network & Internet, then Wi-Fi, then Manage Wi-Fi Settings. Turn off everything under the Wi-Fi Sense heading and have it forget the networks you share.
In addition you can "opt out" your wireless network by including "_optout" in the network name (also known as the SSID). More info on that: https://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/h...of-wi-fi-sense

Google uses a similar opt out method that lets you opt out of having your wireless access point included in the Google Location Server. More info on that here: Official Google Blog: Greater choice for wireless access point owners

Microsoft indicates that the _optout needs to be included in the network name and Google indicates that your network name needs to end with _nomap.

The big question is will this network name: mynetwork_optout_nomap allow you to opt out of both Microsoft and Google's programs or whatever they're referred to as.

I think these really should be opt ins instead of opt outs.
Old 08-16-2015, 04:39 PM   #10
Platinum Member

I installed and tried Windows 10 but am about to remove it completely from my computer. Micro$$$ has gone out of their way to disable any control over the updates. Windows is now set up to auto update and you have no other option. I live in the country and have quite limited Internet. In the past, I had all PC's set up to check for updates, tell me when there are some but let me decide what to do. This way, if the updates are large, we go to the local library and use their Internet. With Windows 10 we don't have that option. On top of that, I have read Micro$$$ will be trying new software on personal PC's through this auto update and you will have no idea they installed it. If it tests out, they will release it to commercial or Business Windows. I guess this is one way they are paying for this.

There are several apps and programs I have tried to remove but cannot. OneDrive is one example. This is one of those Cloud storage things where you save files on the Internet instead of your PC. From what I have read, any Office files default to save to this OneDrive. It apparently can also take all your pictures and personal files and copy them into the OneDrive. I'm sorry, but I want to make the decision on rather my stuff goes on the Internet or not and I don't want this at all. This app is now embedded into Windows and the file explorer so it cannot be removed.

I was starting to get use to Windows 10 and was willing to give it a try but not now. I will be doing a factory restore on my PC but I don't know what I can do for my daughter's laptop. Her computer updated and she has no idea how or why. I don't want to factory restore her's if I can help it.
renrut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 05:47 PM   #11
Platinum Member

You can uninstall it. I've done it. But resistance is futile.

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
Old 08-16-2015, 06:38 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric1514 View Post
But resistance is futile.
Oh, I don't know. So far, I've managed to resist Windows since 1984.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 09:09 PM   #13
Platinum Member

It's uninstalled and unless they give me back control of updates, I will not be re-installing it.
renrut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 09:13 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Thanks for the info - I'll hold off installing it for now.
Old 08-18-2015, 09:17 PM   #15
Platinum Member

"You can uninstall it. I've done it. But resistance is futile." lol
"Oh, I don't know. So far, I've managed to resist Windows since 1984." LOL

Apple user?
Scottbaldassari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 01:33 AM   #16

When my Win7 desktop got hinky (and finally died) I got my first laptop, a cheap little Toshiba. No local sorce for Win7 laptops, so I bit the bullet and got Win8.1. Took me quite some time and effort to finally get the thing up to about 90% productivity compared to my old Desktop. I even bought another Win7 desktop (still boxed) in case the Win8.1 just didn't work. I never use the silly 'tiles' page (just advertisement for various "apps" anyway), and have done the basic work arounds and mods, and found the hidden programs I had thought they discontinued. So I have a lot of 'sweat equity' invested in this little computer. It also gives me mobile capability that the desktop can't. In an emergency I can use my smartphone as a Wi-Fi hotspot and run the laptop, though that really burns the Gigs!
After reading all the pros and cons via many articles, and reading various forums, I come to the conclusion Win10 is not for me. It gives me nothing useful I don't already have, and it has far too much I absolutely do not want. I have no use for 'the cloud' and won't use it, will not use the newer Office that forces us online, have no use for touch screen, and no use for all the fancy multi-device connectivity and data sharing.
The download icon can sit there in it's bottom right corner until Hades freezes. My next machine will not be a MicroSloth machine. I may embrace the darkside and go.... <shudder>.... Apple!
In my IT job (just retired after 24 years) I was a dedicated MS user, at work and home. Since I don't need commonality with the office anymore, I am free......
Old 08-20-2015, 01:37 AM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottbaldassari View Post

Apple user?
----------
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 06:38 AM   #18
Platinum Member

I installed Windows 10 on a VM, and reading the EULA, and seeing all the stuff it wants to upload to Microsoft (and as an IT person, if something can get uploaded, the place where it gets uploaded has a good chance of being a BIG target for hackers), I was quite unimpressed.

Right now, I'm using Windows Server 2012 R2 on the desktop, and I bought a laptop about six weeks ago running OS X.

Will I move to Windows 10 on the desktop? Nope. When I buy a new desktop, it either will be a Mac or a custom built PC, and the PC or the BootCamp partition will be running Windows Server 2016.

The biggest difference between W2016 and W10 is the fact server OS editions assume you know what you are doing. You don't get a GUI on the initial install, and you get one user... the Administrator. However, it is quite easy to add features, add your username via "control userpasswords", and use W2016 as a desktop OS. As another nice feature, the backup program (wbadmin) is quite good and allows for not just file and groups of files to be recovered, but entire OS images, should the need arise.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 02:02 PM   #19
Platinum Member

Microsoft runs TV adds showing babies and saying they will grow up with Windows 10. Seems like it will be around for a while so PC users might as well get on board.

I have no skin in the game since retiring and having Windows XP on my office computer 8 years ago. I've been Mac from the beginning and still have my first 100 day Mac 128K from 1984.

I like the Apple iCloud eco system between iPhone, iPad and Mac OS X computers. No matter what device I pick up all my information is coordinated in notes, calendar, contacts, email, photos, music, web bookmarks, etc. That's important when traveling on the road for me.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 08:14 AM   #20
Silver Member

Since the time this thread started over a year ago, Windows 10 is no longer "free". I'm seeing Oem versions for $139 now. Curious to know if any diehard Windows user out there who has all the MS based devices can report if win 10 has truly unified them under this one universal OS.

My IT wish list is an OS made for operating an RV. Features would include discovery of all equipment much like snmp but via wifi or the OBDII plug. Performance data would then be easier via onboard computer accessible by voice (remember Hal?). Tuning performance thru it a must. Access to it only thru biometric authentication. It would allow autonomous driving and sense all environmental conditions of trip route to arrive at destination in most safe and enjoyable way. On the other hand, for me part of the fun of RVing is getting there in a low tech manner.