Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2019, 04:41 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Front end wobble

Has anyone ever had a problem with front end wobble before, I had a complete front end repair and new steering box but still have a problem. I am starting to think it might be the tires. I have Cooper Tire LT215/85R16 which are 10 ply on my rv right now.
Help me please, this thing is all over the road.
Papalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 05:37 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papalee View Post
Has anyone ever had a problem with front end wobble before, I had a complete front end repair and new steering box but still have a problem. I am starting to think it might be the tires. I have Cooper Tire LT215/85R16 which are 10 ply on my rv right now.
Help me please, this thing is all over the road.

What make and model are we talking about?
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 07:01 PM   #3
Bronze Member

Default Death wobble

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
What make and model are we talking about?
I have a1992 Intervec Falcon 190 which is on a Ford E250 frame, I had a complete front end repair with a new steering box but still have the death wobble
Any body have any idea what to do to fix this
I am running Cooper tires which are 10 ply
Old 07-21-2019, 06:37 PM   #4
Bronze Member

We have a 2007 RT Popular and would experience front end shaking when we were going downhill, super scary. Did a little research and found some others experiencing similar problems. Narrowed down to brake rotors overheating during downhill braking. We were having to pull over when going downhill to allow the rotors to cool down. This would happen even on low gear and with the tow/haul turned on. From what most mechanics have told us, that the brakes for the Chevy Express 2500 van were not designed for the additional weight of a camper van. We had the rotors checked and they could not be machined any further. Rotors were replaced and we will be doing some testing to see if the problem is resolved. So not sure if you are having a similar problem or its something else going on?
TheMatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 08:32 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix View Post
We have a 2007 RT Popular and would experience front end shaking when we were going downhill, super scary. Did a little research and found some others experiencing similar problems. Narrowed down to brake rotors overheating during downhill braking. We were having to pull over when going downhill to allow the rotors to cool down. This would happen even on low gear and with the tow/haul turned on. From what most mechanics have told us, that the brakes for the Chevy Express 2500 van were not designed for the additional weight of a camper van. We had the rotors checked and they could not be machined any further. Rotors were replaced and we will be doing some testing to see if the problem is resolved. So not sure if you are having a similar problem or its something else going on?

I think you will find that rotors will not fix the problem, at least not for long unless you change the brake pads also. Most of us have had good success with high end semi metallic pads, as the ceramic pads don't work all that well in heavy duty applications. The Chevy pads are ceramic and that is what the problem appears to be.

To the OP, you can try swapping front and rear tires to see if that changes anything for a start. If you have them, it would be very interesting to see what they wound up with for wheel alignment numbers after doing all the work. I don't know if the older Fords are settable, or not, without bending things like some of the pickups needed to have done.

The other possibility is that the replacement steering box, which almost certainly is a rebuilt one, is as bad as the original, or even worse. Many of them are horrible. A lot of them can be made better with the adjusters for pinion preload and backlash, but many it doesn't help. It is very common to have essentially no feel for center on them.
Old 07-21-2019, 08:44 PM   #6
Bronze Member

Thanks for the suggestion on the semi metallic brake pads. Will look into that as well.
TheMatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 02:52 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Default Front end wobble

Can you explain the "wobble" a little more?
When is this happening, what speeds?
DaveBad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 04:00 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
The other possibility is that the replacement steering box, which almost certainly is a rebuilt one, is as bad as the original, or even worse. Many of them are horrible. A lot of them can be made better with the adjusters for pinion preload and backlash, but many it doesn't help. It is very common to have essentially no feel for center on them.
What is the steering box adjustment? I was not aware the Express van had an adjustment.

I have upgraded the brakes and rotors, and replaced most steering and front suspension components. AND I lube the front end every oil change, which I think is very important. At 60,000 miles since these upgrades I do not have a wobble problem, though I do drive very conservatively in the mountains, using engine braking and keeping my speed down while going downhill.
peteco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 04:14 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteco View Post
What is the steering box adjustment? I was not aware the Express van had an adjustment.

I have upgraded the brakes and rotors, and replaced most steering and front suspension components. AND I lube the front end every oil change, which I think is very important. At 60,000 miles since these upgrades I do not have a wobble problem, though I do drive very conservatively in the mountains, using engine braking and keeping my speed down while going downhill.

I haven't looked at the repair manual for the actual one in the van, but it looks like the standard GM rear drive hydraulic box so should be the same style as the one in the old Buick, which I got rebuilt and adjusted at a specialty shop in CA. They filled me in on all the special work they do in getting everything just right. The two settings that can be done externally are the steering shaft input to the gear bearings and the sector preload or clearance to the gear. I will look at the manual to see if they give a specific procedure and specs for the settings.

The pinion bearings keep the gear from moving out of place and causing variable looseness to the sector. Excessive gap to the sector give slop before movement when changing turn direction.
Old 07-22-2019, 04:57 PM   #10

Default Front end Wobble

On our 2007 Pleasure Way Ford
E350 there are Firestone Air Power rear shocks. We were told to set them at 35. With that had same problem you describe. When we set them up to 55 it went away. We almost spent several hundred $ on a front sway bar but this forum suggested the increase setting. Hope this helps.
ld1555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 01:09 AM   #11
Bronze Member

The wobble is at almost any speed, I’m starting to think that the tires are my problem.
Ford put a label stating to run the size tires before the van was converted which added a lot more weight. I talked to a rep for Cooper tire and he asked what my axle weight was
Old 10-21-2019, 10:42 PM   #12
Bronze Member

The rv seems to follow the groves in the road, so I am fighting the steering wheel and this is what is causing the wobble. This is scary going down hills and curves.
Old 01-01-2020, 09:33 AM   #13

Papalee, are you still having the problem with your 1992 E250 Falcon wandering?
Paga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 05:47 PM   #14
Bronze Member

Default Wandering

Yes, I am thinking about a stabilizer, and if that doesn’t work I will get new tires
Old 01-01-2020, 06:59 PM   #15

Default Wandering E250

Papalee,

How does your van drive out on the freeway when on a smooth, not rutted, flat stretch? Does it stay centered in it's lane on it's own or do you constantly have to correct it? What happens in a wind gust or when a semi truck passes ot you pass one?

When you make a turn does the steering wheel return to center more or less on it's own, or do you have to help it return?

Is the registered photo of your 1992 E250 of your actual van? The reason I ask is that the frontend in that photo is of a 1991 or earlier 3rd generation E250. 1992 saw the introduction of the 4th generation body changes.

What is the manufacturing date on the Ford data sticker on the drivers side door jamb? What is the date on the Intervec builders data sticker? Often the data stickers will have both the month and year built on them.

Let's start there and then go on. Paga
Old 01-01-2020, 08:08 PM   #16
Bronze Member

I have to hang on to the wheel going down the freeway,have never let go of the steering wheel, if being passed I am fighting the wheel.
The van is a 1991
The wheels are not stock, I had a new steering box put on it , new tie rods ect.
Old 01-01-2020, 09:22 PM   #17

Default Wandering E250

I appreciate your problem, it takes the joy out of driving.

Thanks for confirming it is a 1991. So if you had the front end worked on were the kingpins and kingpin bushings replaced at that time? My research shows these had kingpins, where the next year 1992 went to ball joints.

Thanks, Paga
Old 01-01-2020, 10:02 PM   #18
Bronze Member

Tie rod ends , drag link , steering box, alignment is what Was on the invoice
Old 01-01-2020, 10:29 PM   #19

Default Wandering E250

OK, thank you.

If they provided the final alignment numbers can you provide those? It's quite a few numbers, perhaps a photo of the report might be easier but whatever you can do.

This will be :

Camber Left
Camber Right

Caster Left
Caster Right

Toe Left
Toe Right

What is the mileage on this van, I don't recall if you told us that.

Thanks Paga
Old 01-01-2020, 10:42 PM   #20
Bronze Member

No numbers, mileage is under 38000